Has this happen to any of you?

Got questions? We got answers....
knowledge seeker

Has this happen to any of you?

Post by knowledge seeker »

We recently switched to transmission oil (type F) in my son's '06 KDX200. We feel it shifts better now, but after the first ride we noticed while it was in the garage it was leaking oil through the counter shaft sprocket. Has this happen to any of you?. It wasn't leaking oil prior to the change. Is there an explanation for this to happen?. Is it hard to change this seal?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Counter shaft seal is not to bad to replace. It could be that the ATF is a bit thinner than whatever you were running previously, and has started to leak. there are also detergents in there that could have cleaned up any gunk which was previously masking a bad seal, but Type F won't damage the seals themselves.
knowledge seeker

Post by knowledge seeker »

Thanks for the explanation.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

My 03 Harley will leak oil in the primary chain case IF I use synthetic oil AND run the bike hard and hot for an extended period.

When switched back to regular dino oil there is no leak. When I say leak I mean a 2-3 nickel sized drops until the bike cools down.

I quit using the expensive synthetic oil in the chain case where its not needed, but continue to use synthetic oil in the engine and transmission.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you replace it......

There are some excellent posts on this forum about replacement of the CSS seal. Complete with pictures, even.

The o-ring placement is not exactly straightforward..like, 'Why would they put TWO of 'em there?' which leads to you maybe thinking one of 'em went somewhere else.

Pay real close attention on disassembly.

CLICKY!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!