Front fork springs - which ones?

Got questions? We got answers....
DeSoto Flyer

Front fork springs - which ones?

Post by DeSoto Flyer »

Considering stronger fork springs. 180 lbs riding single track trails, and some hare scrambles. Not overly aggressive riding, but definitely not a slow poke. Called Race tech and they recommended a .44, but that seems like too much. Looking for recommendations, please.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

hart125

Post by hart125 »

I say .38 or .40.. frp normally goes a little less on spring rate and a little stronger on valving.. racetech goes a little stronger on springs and lighter on valving.. both are heading the same direction just how to get there. if you were going to do the 2 shim removal mayb I would go .40 or .42
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would go .40 at 180.

I have .42's and I am at 200 and it is stiff.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I would go .42

Thats what I run.
==05 KDX220R==
DeSoto Flyer

Post by DeSoto Flyer »

Thanks for all the advice! I really enjoy the feedback and info on this site. Whoever set it up, you are my hero.
Dealer had some RaceTech .40's, so I went with those. Rode today, and it was a HUGE inprovement! The ruts that were jarring the crap out of me before, were no factor today. Might need stiffer (springs, that is) if I was gonna do some MX track stuff, but then I would need a different bike, too.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

remove two shims from your fork valve, best mod i've done yet! THen you'll really feel a difference!
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Removing shims is good for some stuff but not for others. Not having enough compression damping on rough downhills can cause control problems, for example. If you find you never need to run the higher compression settings and the lowest settings are still too stiff, then you might want to experiment. I'm not saying reducing shims is a bad idea, just pointing out that there should be some reason for changing the stack first, as the range of adjustment will be less than before.

Most younger riders find that as they become more experienced they tend to gradually crank up compression settings.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.