Gas overflow

Got questions? We got answers....
Pete Fetz

Gas overflow

Post by Pete Fetz »

Hi KDXERS,
I have a question which may be dumb but I'm a new owner of a 06 KDX200. I was out riding in some deep sand and took a spill, no harm done but when I got home I noticed the fuel overflow hose from the gas cap was loose on the other end. One end was still in the gas cap but the other end was hanging loose over the handlebars. I could not tell where it was supposed to go or what it was supposed to attach to (probably another drain hose but I couldn't see it). Could someone take pity on me and tell me where it is supposed to go or what it's supposed to fasten to? Thanks. By the way, the hose is about 8-10 inches long.
Pete

06 KDX200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the hose from the cap goes in the sterring stem hole underneath your handlbar. it's not plg to anything at all on this end :wink:
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:the hose from the cap goes in the sterring stem hole underneath your handlbar. it's not plg to anything at all on this end :wink:
Yep. It's not an overflow hose though. It's a vent hose. It should have a short pcs of hose out of the gas cap, then a small (approx. 1") plastic check valve, and then a longer pcs of hose from the check valve. It's suppose to let air in as fuel is emptied from the tank, but not allow fuel to flow out during an ooops moment.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

My vent hose lasted about 5 spills b-4 the plastic piece in the cap snapped off. No more vent hose for me and unless it starts spilling on my nards no new cap either.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'It's suppose to let air in as fuel is emptied from the tank, but not allow fuel to flow out during an ooops moment.'

This is obviously overlooking the obvious. :wink:

In any decent wreck, the vent tube is going to be ripped completely off the cap..in which case it don't matter whether it's venting or..uh..hosing.

Works for me!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Pete Fetz

Post by Pete Fetz »

Thanks alot guys,
I appreciate your responses concerning what I thought was the gas overflow but now know is the tank vent. Anyway, it's stuck back in the steering stem hole where it belongs - thanks again!
Pete
06 KDX200