Preload for 03 220

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Preload for 03 220

Post by DonnyV »

Can I use a ruler and put it down into the inner tube on top of the spring and measure to the bottom of the cap and add 4 to 10 mm to get my preload. Does this sound correct.
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Preload for 03 220

Post by bufftester »

Essentially, yes.
The proper way to measure is the total length from where the spring seats in the bottom of the tube to where the top of the preload (metal stock one) spacer seats. IIRC its about 539mm for the stock forks. You subtract the fork spring uncompressed length (for the stockers its about 448mm) from the total length. The remainder is used to set your preload. So for example stock fork length uncompressed 539mm - spring uncompressed length 448mm = 91 mm with 0 preload. For 10 mm of preload add 10mm to the 91 for 101mm preload spacer length. The new preload spacer completely replaces the stock metal one. The stock forks are set to about 25mm of preload. So you could get in the ballpark by just making a spacer 15mm shorter than the metal one to get to 10mm of preload. It's all very subjective and based on springs, riding style, etc.
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

Awesome thanks for the info, I just read exactly what you just explained (this forum is the best) on racetech website from the springs I bought. What really makes me scratch my head is I didn't get to talk to the previous owner and I don't think the springs that were in the forks were stock because they measured almost the same as the new ones minus 3 mm, hmmm anyways I know what's going in so I'll go from there. Thanks again
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Measure how much you have and adjust from there. About 3 or 4 mm is about right.

If it is all assembled, but the cap is not threaded down, that means the underside of the cap would set about 3 / 4 mm above the top of the fork leg.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128