New member - 2002 KDX220r - Colorado

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TheYakk220r

New member - 2002 KDX220r - Colorado

Post by TheYakk220r »

I bought my '02 KDX220r in 2015 and have had an excellent time on it so far. Great bike (suspension *cough*). She is a bit tired and is waaaay overdue for a good rebuild and this is the winter to do it. I have been a lurker here since 2015 but as I am getting ready to do the rebuild I thought I would share the process in another thread.
I've always liked the green since I was a kid but mom always said no. Not sure why!, because I was always able to find other ways to hurt myself just fine. A friend of a friend had a '97 220 that I rode on a long weekend trip in central Colorado back in 2014, and that was all it took to make me a fan.
No new news here, but the suspension is a real issue and my olden joints can't handle bottoming out, I just can't do it, it hurts. I seriously debated selling a few weeks ago after a Christmas weekend ride and getting a newer bike for that reason, but a part of me would have always been disappointed for not trying to make it work. On top of that I've always thought this is the bike to get in there and get dirty working on it as an amateur mechanic and do some learnin'. So, she is getting a rebuild starting January 2021.

Cheers! and thanks all for all of the great information I've read over the past five years, and to many more.
kdx2002r-a.jpg
kdx2002r-a.jpg (719.91 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
kdx2002r-b.jpg
kdx2002r-b.jpg (581.65 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New member - 2002 KDX220r - Colorado

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

It only took you 5 years to sign up? :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums finally. Suspension money is the single best investment for the KDX, even before engine stuff. That and go through all your linkage bearings, and swingarm bearings, they get overlooked by lots of folks
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

What part of CO are you from? I did the KX fork swap last year and it's nice not bottoming out anymore, while still being soft enough for trails/enduro riding. Glad you finally got signed up on the forum!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
TheYakk220r

Post by TheYakk220r »

bufftester wrote: 04:24 pm Jan 11 2021 Welcome to the forums finally. Suspension money is the single best investment for the KDX, even before engine stuff. That and go through all your linkage bearings, and swingarm bearings, they get overlooked by lots of folks
Thanks. The suspension is what spurred the rebuild. Good to hear your thoughts on that, I've been debating where to start. She still runs strong with the right jetting so I can prioritize suspension then the engine. I have no idea on the life of the piston so I want to get to that also as soon as I can. Compression was good in 2018, can't remember the number but the shop said it was still in the acceptable range. Only have a dozen rides in since then.
GATOROC wrote: 07:26 pm Jan 11 2021 What part of CO are you from? I did the KX fork swap last year and it's nice not bottoming out anymore, while still being soft enough for trails/enduro riding. Glad you finally got signed up on the forum!
NoCo, direct east of Ft Collins about half hour at the present. I've lived in Denver, FtCollins, Creede, and Pagosa in the past.
I've been looking at the kdx fork swap, the crf fork swap (my son has this on his 250x), the klx fork swap, or the gold valve rebuild (ranked in most desirable to least). Leaning towards the gold valve at the moment since it appears to be the least expensive, but all of them seem to have their merits. When riding the CRF250x I dig how I can just rip on that thing more motocross style, but the first technical stuff that comes along reminds me of why I like the KDX. Of course, looking for the perfect combo, or at least close to something I can get moving on a bit more and still slalom through the rocks and roots.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

sounds like you have a good plan in place already!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How long has it been since at least fresh oil in the forks and shock?

If you have the money, skip spending a penny on the stock forks and go for a KX front end (front end, not forks, as you will need a wheel and possible brake changes also (hose for example).

If the shock needs a rebuild, I have an ad for a shock rebuild kit of parts in the For Sale subforum.
TheYakk220r

Post by TheYakk220r »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:28 am Jan 12 2021 How long has it been since at least fresh oil in the forks and shock?
No idea and it's possible that no one ever has. I only have about 75 hours since I've had it, maybe 1,500 miles. No idea on mileage before that. I was reading that it should be done around 20,000 miles? Either way, it's most likely overdue. Checking the manual on that process tonight. Also saw the kit you have in the for sale subforum. I need to get my ducks in a row and focus on the forks in the next few weeks and make a decision. Thanks for the input.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

20,000?! No, way sooner than that. It's not a Monroe Gasmatic. :-)

Yearly is about right for the normal rider, but if one gets out a lot, it's even sooner. It's like transmission oil, it would not hurt to change it more often, people just don't.

I will assume the fork oil is thin and very worn out. Worn out oil won't dampen properly. Shocks lose pressure over time also, leading to the seal allowing oil to bypass it (leak).
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on the KX fork conversion. Best change I made to my 220 including the engine mods.
TheYakk220r

Post by TheYakk220r »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:05 am Jan 13 2021 20,000?! No, way sooner than that. It's not a Monroe Gasmatic. :-)

Yearly is about right for the normal rider, but if one gets out a lot, it's even sooner. It's like transmission oil, it would not hurt to change it more often, people just don't.

I will assume the fork oil is thin and very worn out. Worn out oil won't dampen properly. Shocks lose pressure over time also, leading to the seal allowing oil to bypass it (leak).
Too bad a monroe won't fit!
I'm starting at the rear of the bike and working forward. I want to get a look at that shock first along with swing arm and linkage bearings.