Trail tech spark plug temp gauge. Anyone else using one on their air hammer?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
PolarWhiteC

Trail tech spark plug temp gauge. Anyone else using one on their air hammer?

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Hey guys,

Is anyone else using one of these temp gauges? I have been riding my 88 all summer, and have been paying attention to my temps because I have been struggling to get things dialed in. Compression tests are great at 150 psi and my leak down results are very acceptable. I have not been able to jet as lean as I think I should be without seeing abnormal open throttle behavior. I am at a 152 on the main, with obviously rich looking plug chops, I have a DEL needle in the center groove and a 48 pilot. The only aftermarket I have is Boyesen 607s and a DG pipe and silencer. It runs great between 160 and 280 degrees F at the plug, but when I get around 300 degrees mid range power is not to be had, and at 320-340 it is absent at best. Can anyone running one of these gauges post temps they have seen or think should be normal? This has to be much different than water temps, and I expect them to be hotter but based on how my bike runs I don't know that 320 is acceptable.

Thanks guys,
-Aaron
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Trail tech spark plug temp gauge. Anyone else using one on their air hammer?

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry, but I have no experience with the device you mentioned.

May I ask what octane you are running and whether it is non-ethanol or ethanol? Someone in a recent air-cooled thread was having an off-throttle high speed concern.

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
PolarWhiteC

Re: Trail tech spark plug temp gauge. Anyone else using one on their air hammer?

Post by PolarWhiteC »

I read that thread and I am running 91 no ethanol. I considered trying some higher octane thinking spark advance may be playing a part but have not done that. Also I am not having any issues off-throttle, but at the temps I mentioned, on-throttle, through the major part of my mid throttle range.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would change the clip to richen it a touch, then see what happens.
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

I live right across the highway from CMJ raceway. I may try that and see what happens, I'm still not sure why this thing seems to want so much fuel. I started with a DEK needle and went to the DEL, and I played with clip positions when I put that needle in, but I know I didn't have it at the temps where I have issues, and don't really recall what the results were, I just know it seemed happiest in the middle. I will try to get out there early next week and post results afterwards.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

can't make that kinda power on an empty stomach

:mrgreen:
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

I use a Trail Tech with a spark plug temp sensor on my 86.
I see the same temp range you see but have seen it go north of 320 deg if I keep the revs up.
I never really thought of temperature being the reason for loss of power on long climbs but it makes sense.

I have the stock carb with a 330 main and an odd needle that came with a basket case KDX I bought.
Also have a wiseco, DG pipe, boysen, and 2003 flywheel set at 18btdc with a timing light.
I also use an iridium plug at the normal heat range.

Love the Trail Techs BTW...have them on all my dirtbikes.
Dutch-MI

Post by Dutch-MI »

Are you using the stock pwk 35? My stock carb was always running rich for some reason. If you haven't, you may want to replace the jet block o-ring which could be leaking inside. They are not part of the standard rebuild kit. I fully rebuilt my mine, adjusted the float bowl, and installed leaner jets but was still getting overflow. I finally gave up an bought a brand new PWK 35 Air Striker carb from Jetsrus with a 45 pilot jet and 150 main jet. It's very responsive now with no overflow and no plug fouling. This setup is for a slow old guy in the woods. The only thing that sucks is the air and idle screw adjustments are on the left side so you need to adjust then with the air box off and do some careful routing of the additional air breather tubes so the air box doesn't squeeze them off.
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

Stock carb for my 86 is a VM34...none of that fancy stuff like air screws or jet blocks.
I don't really notice a big drop off in power in the temp ranges below 320 but the temp doesn't stay there long so its hard to say.
For woods riding like I do the engine temp comes down quickly after climbs or high RPMs.
If I was ripping all the time it would probably run at 320.
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Thanks for the replies. I am doing tight woods riding as well. My temps get into that 300+ range on wide open runs as well, but they seem to get hotter when I try to keep the rpms lower while climbing and negotiating tight stuff. I am running a Sudco rebuilt PWK Airstriker. Yes, having the needles on the wrong side is a pain, but the bike did not come with a suitable carb to use. If I keep riding once I hit 300 degrees or so, It doesn't ever seem to come back down until I take a short break.

I have not been out since I posted this and have not tried moving the clip position as KDXGarage suggested
Dutch-MI

Post by Dutch-MI »

If you run 50% rec gas and 50% race gas, it should run cooler. That would give you 100% octane .
PolarWhiteC

Post by PolarWhiteC »

Thank you for the suggestion Dutch. I will be doing some work on the bike throughout the winter and will have to try that when I get back on it in the spring. Seems like a red flag if it runs that much cooler just from more octane, wouldn't that imply my excess heat is a result of knock/detonation? There is no reason I shouldn't be able to run this on 91 rec fuel. The only solution I could think if high octane fuel solves it is to retard timing. Am I incorrect?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check to make sure the timing is not already advanced.