Petcock Pipe Came Off Inside Tank

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
stnd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Petcock Pipe Came Off Inside Tank

Post by stnd »

Hi,

On a recent ride my carb started pissing out fuel. I opened up the carb to inspect the float needle/seat and discovered a bunch of dirt and grime on the bottom of the float bowl. Cleaned it up but it did not solve my problem. Today I drained and removed the fuel tank and heard something moving around inside. Turns out one of the petcock straws/pipes fell off.

My question is can i just push it back in and keep on keeping on, or do I need a new petcock?

TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Petcock Pipe Came Off Inside Tank

Post by TwistedRoot »

I had the same issue after buying my bike. I took it apart and used a VERY small amount of JB Marine weld. Its been holding up great for the last 2 years.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
stnd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by stnd »

Thanks, I cleaned it up and just pushed it back in. Took quite a bit of force to get it to seat all the way so I figure it may be a while until it comes out again. Let's see how long it lasts. If I feel like taking it out again I'll use a bit of loctite.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I haven't gotten into my tank/petcock yet. Thinking when I do I'll replace it with a shorter one that doesn't hang down so far, the longer design just seems susceptible to getting smacked while riding in the woods or dropping in rough ground.

QUESTION: is that a screen on the two intakes? Is that something you guys clean on a regular basis?. Seems like it act like a fuel filter if that's what it is.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Yes, it’s a screen. Frankly I don’t clean mine unless I notice a problem with fuel flow.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 with Doakley, if you are using clean fuel cans and pumps you shouldn't see much crud on those screens.