Yikes, look at how worn out my transmission output shaft is...

Got questions? We got answers....
'03KDX200

Yikes, look at how worn out my transmission output shaft is...

Post by '03KDX200 »

I removed the chain and found that the front sprocket was waggling around on the output shaft, lots of free play. I pulled it off of there and inspected it and shot this video. This is pretty bad, right? I reckon if I don't replace the shaft, it will quickly wear out my new front sprocket. Does this look bad enough to you guys to replace it? The only problem is that OEM part is like $180.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Yikes, look at how worn out my transmission output shaft is...

Post by SS109 »

Yikes. That looks pretty beat up. Hell, at this point just run it until it shears the teeth. Since you gotta split the cases to replace it I would start preparing for a rebuild while you have it apart. Just running it as is gives you a little time to collect all the parts you'll need.

That output shaft can be gotten from any '89 and up KDX200 or 220. Ron Ayers and almost every place I've checked has it new for for around $143 (https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kaw ... ion-output). There is a used shaft assembly on Ebay for $80 (2000 KAWASAKI KDX 200 COUNTER TRANSMISSION GEAR ASSEMBLY FITS 1995-2006 KDX200). I have a complete trans I would sell from a '90 KDX for $100 plus shipping. You got options and hopefully some time.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Mine was way worse than that and had to be replaced. I ordered it through japanwebike
I can tell you a quick fix if you like. Order a front sprocket from an early kx500. Its thicker at the splines than an OEM sprocket, you just have to machine down that spacer by the same amount and it will pick up the fresh teeth on the shaft. You may never have to replace the shaft
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go back in time, and get the previous owner to tighten the chain even more so it can snap like a twig instead of just being damaged some.

Somewhere, someone is bitching about me crying about chains being too tight. :boogie:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:39 pm May 22 2020 Go back in time, and get the previous owner to tighten the chain even more so it can snap like a twig instead of just being damaged some.

Somewhere, someone is bitching about me crying about chains being too tight. :boogie:
Most of the time you’re saying they’re “a touch loose” :lol:
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I must be thinking of all the ones I see on Facebook Marketplace. It looks like a BMX bicycle. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:39 pm May 22 2020 Go back in time, and get the previous owner to tighten the chain even more so it can snap like a twig instead of just being damaged some.

hey man, because of your incessant,lingering,and redundant rant (can't make it plural as it is an on going one), I now almost worry that I run mine a bit more loose than it should be as opposed to too tight.
Nah. as you saw from the receipt I am just now replacing chain/sprockets after 85 hours of racing/riding and they will go another ride or three before i get off my arse and do the work.I replaced the shaft the OP referenced during my rebuild. It was worn but serviceable. Short story long- KEEP yer bitchin' droning on and on. The masses read,heed,and proceed-

I am trying JT Racing sprockets and a Parts Unlimited X ring chain this time. hopefully I'll get a long life span from these. I think what you put on your bike has some bearing on how things wear as well as dependability. I tried a green rear sprocket once and it did not last.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

Ha ha, ok will-do. Did a overly-tight chain cause this crap to happen, you think?
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

SS109 wrote: 07:16 pm May 22 2020 Yikes. That looks pretty beat up. Hell, at this point just run it until it shears the teeth. Since you gotta split the cases to replace it I would start preparing for a rebuild while you have it apart. Just running it as is gives you a little time to collect all the parts you'll need.

That output shaft can be gotten from any '89 and up KDX200 or 220. Ron Ayers and almost every place I've checked has it new for for around $143 (https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kaw ... ion-output). There is a used shaft assembly on Ebay for $80 (2000 KAWASAKI KDX 200 COUNTER TRANSMISSION GEAR ASSEMBLY FITS 1995-2006 KDX200). I have a complete trans I would sell from a '90 KDX for $100 plus shipping. You got options and hopefully some time.
Wow great resources, thank you! I might get that $80 eBay item. I don't have the skill, room, time, expertise, or fancy tools to take the whole engine apart. Carefully measure and inspect everything to within a couple thousandths of an inch....Maybe one day. I've already got a local bike mechanic that will do a full rebuild for me though. I just need to get the engine out of the frame and bring it over to him. I kinda wish there was a KDX engine builder out there somewhere where I could just send him my worn-out engine and he sends me one back that's been totally gone through and redone for like $500 or something.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Where are you located? You might check out Jeff Fredette at FRP racing in Beecher, Illinois (708) 946 0999. Jeff specializes in KDXs and might be able to help you with this rebuild.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

pumpguy wrote: 11:58 am May 23 2020 Where are you located? You might check out Jeff Fredette at FRP racing in Beecher, Illinois (708) 946 0999. Jeff specializes in KDXs and might be able to help you with this rebuild.
Oh sure, I actually talked to Jeff Fredette on the phone about my engine already. Nice guy, sounds like the perfect guy to send my engine to. Unfortunately for him, sending him a whole engine is another expense, especially in terms of my time spent on this project bike. As in building the enclosure, wrapping and settling the engine in a big plastic cooler just right... Well I might still send my engine to Fredette anyways, ha ha! But I just want to get out there riding! It's FINALLY getting warm outside here in central Oregon and I can't wait to go riding this thing. It's going to be dialed-in so nice... I even bought an RB-Designs carb because I really want to see what this beautiful bike is supposed to be really like.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

SS109 wrote: 07:16 pm May 22 2020 Yikes. That looks pretty beat up. Hell, at this point just run it until it shears the teeth. Since you gotta split the cases to replace it I would start preparing for a rebuild while you have it apart. Just running it as is gives you a little time to collect all the parts you'll need.

Oh hey, yep, sure enough I went to eBay today and bought that countershaft you linked to. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! That was a good deal on a sweet shaft.