Way too much low speed rebound!!!

A service reference
bikeman2502001

Way too much low speed rebound!!!

Post by bikeman2502001 »

I just bought a low hour 2003 KDX 220 And am starting to fiddle with the dampening settings for around here Im going to have to go through the shock anyway because the bumper has rotted off but my question is has anyone ever experienced even when backing out the rebound adjuster
all the way I still have way too much low speed rebound My other KDX's Didnt have enough and required revalving. it is a low hour bike so I am assuming the shock hasn't been messed with yet but then again it is a used bike and anything is possible.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Way too much low speed rebound!!!

Post by doakley »

Sounds like you need to rebuild or have it rebuilt. Then figure out what it needs. Hard to tune anything, shock, carb, etc. that isn’t working as designed to begin with.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

besides taking the spring off and checking it while in a vise...

A shock made in the spring of 2002 (18 years ago) is not working perfectly...

no bumper, so maybe no one ever bothered to change the oil

shocks lose pressure over time

YEP! It is time for fresh oil and nitrogen (and a bumper)

Do all that, then try again.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Thanks for your reply Im going to disassemble the shock tomorrow then
ill know if someone else has been there before. Ive been riding for 40 years now and I have never come across this before almost seems like there is a blockage in the shock shaft or something like that. After I get it apart Ill post here on what I find in case it might help others
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Take the spring off before disassembly and gas discharge.

Pull the shaft all the way down, then GENTLY turn the rebound adjuster all the way in. After I have rebuilt them, they stay locked in place. See if it does the same.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:55 pm Mar 20 2020 Take the spring off before disassembly and gas discharge.

Pull the shaft all the way down, then GENTLY turn the rebound adjuster all the way in. After I have rebuilt them, they stay locked in place. See if it does the same.
That’s good intel.
I like turtles
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

ok I disassembled the shock and like I thought It had never been touched all valving is stock still peened shaft, Nothing out of the ordinary except one important thing When I poured out the oil it was noticeably thick for shock oil which is usually like water, I also spent a lot of time blowing out the rebound circuit and even poking a small tool in the hole to make sure that the internals weren't stuck and moving freely. Just finished gassing it up and installed back on the bike and it is much better, now I can use the adjuster as usual to get the rebound I want. I was definitely a very lightly used bike as all of the bolts were like brand new I guess the main culprit here was the shock oil It was too thick weather anyone changed just the oil Ill never know but in this case I doubt it. Now I will see if I want to install Gold valves after riding a properly working stock shock. Thanks everyone for your advise, In 40 years of riding this is the first time ive had this problem
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Thanks for the report. In my experience, the fluid thins out.