A farewell to jets

Feedback on products.....
decluk13

A farewell to jets

Post by decluk13 »

I wanted to share my observations and initial impressions from my recent Purchase and install of a Lectron Carburetor. To frame the situation, I have been unable to tune the stock carb for the last few weeks after several jet changes, cleanings, and a metering block gasket it still wanted to run rich or surge and die. This convinced me that the original carb had become worn out and needed a total replacement.

I chose to replace the stock carburetor with a Lectron for specific reasons. The biggest factor is that my riding and wrenching time are one in the same. Jet changes are simple, and I have a working understanding of how to make the changes needed but they take time away from riding. The second reason is environmental. Although I don’t see much elevation change the temperature swings wildly for large portions of the year in northwest PA. This makes it difficult as you can’t simply switch to cold weather jetting.

I placed an order and purchased the full kit with carb, needle adjuster, new cable, and throttle tube. I wasn’t entirely thrilled that they don’t have a phone number on their site. I wouldn’t say this is a “cheap” mod and call me old fashioned, but I prefer a phone call over 10 emails. There is a phone number provided once you place an order or send an inquiry to their sales team. I think this is probably to keep “window shopper” calls from filling their days. I had read enough good reviews that I believed they would send a quality product and moved ahead with the order providing details of engine mods in the order notes. The Lectron arrived at my house 10 days after order with 3-day shipping option so they hit their timeline dead on for completion.

The physical appearance of the Lectron is nice, its almost a polished surface. They also include the aluminum bowl mounting bracket which is nice to see as I know that was an extra option in the past not standard. The right-hand side of the carb has been milled by about 5.5mm. I assume this was a correction to fix fitment issues others have had. There was also a small portion of casting on the cap that was milled down as well. A cap bolt as well as a carb body bolt are relocated to accommodate this. While this work serves its purpose, it is rough machine work and leaves ½ threads from the original carb design exposed. That is purely an aesthetic observation doesn’t seem like it would affect operation in any way. The gasket appears to be installed when the machining is done making it a matched set and any future gasket would need trimmed and drilled for the application. There was some roughness on the flat side of the slide bore but it didn’t seem to be causing any “sticktion” to the slides movement.
relief cut top view
relief cut top view
20200313_210030.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 11042 times
The throttle slide is nice overall, I was a little discouraged by the cable engagement as it seems like it isn’t distributed over much surface area and could cause wear of the cable end or slide. The top side of the slide has a sharp square edge from machining that seems like it would benefit from some slight chamfer work to reduce the slide bore wear. Needle adjuster mechanism is nice seems to work smoothly. The right-hand choke location sucks plain and simple but what are ya gonna do right. It’s perfectly functional once you get to it.
20200313_211355.jpg
20200313_211355.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 11042 times
Installing the unit was straightforward the timestamps from my photos indicated that it only took 9mins from no carb at all to a carb installed, leveled, and cable routed to bars. I probably had more time in setting up the new throttle tube and cable than the actual install of the carb. The cable is a little long but came into adjustment well enough using both the inline adjuster and adjuster at the throttle mount. I had the seat, shrouds and tank removed to open the area up so that was more time on the re-assembly. Overall it took about an hour and a half to get it in the bike to the point it was ready to run. Sorry there aren't more photos, the files from my phone are all too large to load.

The first run attempt was hampered by an air leak that sent the bike revving to the moon and rendered the kill switch useless. The stock intake boot clamp does not seem to be able to squeeze the boot enough to seal perfectly. I got a clamp from a 98KX100 that was smaller, and the problem was resolved. I didn’t find the issue until after I got spooked by how lean it had been and adjusted the needle ½ turn richer. I decided to leave the needle richer as added insurance.

Now the carb is installed, and the bike will start and idle nice and smooth in 38F temps this was a big improvement. The Lectron overall is impressive in function. It doesn’t seem to load up the bottom end at all in lower RPMs which is nice to not have to clear out after some slow speed work. The torque and response I would say is on par or slightly better than the stock carb when it had been running correctly. The place this thing shines for me is the middle all the same power is still there it’s just smoother and more predictable. “Linear” is what everyone calls it and that is the best word to describe the power, there are no blips or jumps just one flat predictable line. For me right now that is perfect, I know not everyone wants that. This is still ½ turn rich from how the unit arrived so it’s possible more performance is to be had by going a little leaner. It did seem to sign off a bit early on the top end but I haven’t tried to adjust the power jet to fix this. One of the strangest things is the sound difference. I’m not sure how to describe it other than lower and less sporadic. It sounds rich but is smoking less and running better than before.

Long term it’s yet to be seen if this was a good purchase. I do want to thank members on this site that worked tirelessly with Lectron on developing a carburetor that fit easily. I know you probably didn’t benefit much from it but it is appreciated. I also want to add that this is not an endorsement of Lectron over say an RB carb. I haven’t had the chance to run one of those. The only reason I didn’t go with one of those is that I don’t see myself having time for swapping jets regularly any time soon. I won’t say it’s the best carb ever but it is the best one for me personally.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: A farewell to jets

Post by kdxsully »

The Lectron crowd is overwhelming on here. I know there’s a couple threads on here about SmartCarbs (haven’t read them yet), but just wanna iterate that these exist.

https://technologyelevated.com/product ... smartcarb/
I like turtles
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

I was aware of them and looked at them. The full external adjustment is certainly nice but the Lectron is already kind of spendy. I think it is favored as a middle ground in a pretty narrow jetless carb market. I would be happy to own a SmartCarb too and possibly will one day this is just what made sense for me right now.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

decluk13 wrote: 12:02 pm Mar 16 2020 I was aware of them and looked at them. The full external adjustment is certainly nice but the Lectron is already kind of spendy. I think it is favored as a middle ground in a pretty narrow jetless carb market. I would be happy to own a SmartCarb too and possibly will one day this is just what made sense for me right now.
You’ve got a point there.
I like turtles
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I'm with you here, the Lectron is my next mod to my 200.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
henrys
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by henrys »

I've yet to run a lectron myself but my riding buddies swear by them on KTM 250s. Night and day difference in power delivery/fuel economy and can go from sea level to 14k feet with no adjustment needed. I also know a guy that traded his brand new TPI 250 for a carb model so he could run a lectron on it and swears it runs better than the TPI.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I have one in my "shopping cart" and was about to buy it, but found out today I'll be on un-employment on Friday so probably should wait... Still have so much to be thankful for, so all good here!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Sorry to hear that! Hang in there.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

decluk13 - great write up! I am really enjoying my Lectron as well, especially with the elevation changes here in CO.

VTMTcowboy - hopefully things get better soon so you can get back to work!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:44 am Mar 19 2020 Wow. Sorry to hear that! Hang in there.
All good mate. Overall life isn't always easy, but this time allows for both reassessment and also gratitude in what I do have. First and foremost I am very fortunate to live here in the good ol' USA. Lots more freedom than I think we recognize on a regular basis. The monetary part sucks, but I'll just have to tighten up a bit more than normal. The hard part will be no more dirt bike parts since I now have the time to tinker! And this whole stay in place rule doesn't allow for riding... For me riding is "essential" haha, not sure that would hold up well against the government.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone out there and be well!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

GATOROC wrote: 09:58 am Mar 19 2020 decluk13 - great write up! I am really enjoying my Lectron as well, especially with the elevation changes here in CO.

VTMTcowboy - hopefully things get better soon so you can get back to work!
Thank you sir! Staying positive. I always believe that He has something bigger for me in the works as long I put in the work!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Sorry, I hijacked this thread. Definitely not the intention. But yes, I'll join the Lectron club as soon as things go back to normal or whatever that looks like!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

Not hijacked at all, this is an all too comon thing with what we are dealing with all over the country. I am lucky enough to have a little land and a grass track to get some laps in with the extra free time. I feel for everyone that can't get out and ride at least a little with the weather turning. Some small local series are even running races/open ride this week. I can't bring myself to participate knowing it could add to the problem.
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

Would be great for some of the less expensive time consuming maintenance items like linkage greasing and suspension oil changes.
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

"Would be a great time"** not great, I don't want to sound like I'm wishing for an unfortunate situation for anyone.