Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by SS109 »

Good to hear you got the stator going. The Trailtech voltage regulators are pretty cheap.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Good to hear, figured it was a short in there somewhere. While you're working on it make sure all your grounds are nice and clean and put some dielectric grease in all your connectors.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

Replaced voltage regulator. Still getting 6 volts at idle and over 20 when revved. Bad regulator still or could it be something else?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

CarsonMcI wrote: 03:14 pm Nov 22 2019 Replaced voltage regulator. Still getting 6 volts at idle and over 20 when revved. Bad regulator still or could it be something else?
Well if you replaced it with a new one, something else must be wrong. Maybe the wiring?
I like turtles
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

Where are you measuring voltage at? If that's your coil AC voltage then you might have too few windings on the coil - more wraps will give you higher idle voltage but lower peak amperage. Fewer windings gives you less voltage at idle but higher peak amps.

If that's after the regulator then something's not wired right or your new regulator is bad (or both). Pictures might help us help you.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

Got the trailtech regulator wired up and it works now as far limiting the voltage but at idle it's at 6 volts and headlight is very dim. Is this normal? Thanks again for the all the replies guys
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

In stock form, the headlight is dim at idle. One has to rev it up to have it be brighter.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

You probably don't have enough windings on your coil to get good voltage at idle. You can either live with it, add a battery (assuming you are running DC and not AC, and that your voltage at normal riding RPM is greater than 13 volts), or rewind your coil again with more wraps (you may need to switch to 18 AWG or 20 AWG).

Here is a most excellent thread on the subject: https://advrider.com/f/threads/stators ... ed.189734/

Most of the discussion is around modern stators with multiple poles, but the same concepts apply to the KDX single coils
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

Pressingonward wrote: 11:28 am Nov 29 2019 You probably don't have enough windings on your coil to get good voltage at idle. You can either live with it, add a battery (assuming you are running DC and not AC, and that your voltage at normal riding RPM is greater than 13 volts), or rewind your coil again with more wraps (you may need to switch to 18 AWG or 20 AWG).

Here is a most excellent thread on the subject: https://advrider.com/f/threads/stators ... ed.189734/

Most of the discussion is around modern stators with multiple poles, but the same concepts apply to the KDX single coils
That actually made alot of sense. Thanks man!
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

No problem, glad I could help. Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how many wraps are needed to get decent idle voltage. It's on my to-do list to rewind my coil once I get everything else on my bike sorted out.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

Pressingonward wrote: 08:33 pm Nov 29 2019 No problem, glad I could help. Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how many wraps are needed to get decent idle voltage. It's on my to-do list to rewind my coil once I get everything else on my bike sorted out.
Do you know the stock regulator wire gauge?
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

I do not. I'll take a look when I'm in there again, but I would guess 22 awg