03 220 Shift Shaft Replacement

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

03 220 Shift Shaft Replacement

Post by morganid »

I had my 03 KDX 220 for sale, then my wife said she wanted to make it her main bike. So I get keep it for now!

What springs/parts do I need to replace to stiffen the shifter? The bike has always been easy to kick in to natural when riding. I'm replacing shift shaft and may ad well do it altogether.

Last ride out the shifter was loose, so I tried to tighten it which sheared the bolt. I replaced the bolt with a bolt given to my by another rider on the trail. The bolt wasn't strong enough to hold the shifter. Long story short, my semi-warn, but formally usable shifter and shift shift shaft are rounded and no longer usable. I'm glad this happend to me and not to someone right after they bought it from me.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 03 220 Shift Shaft Replacement

Post by KDXGarage »

Is there any chance the shifter was one notch lower than it was supposed to be?

As it relates to your comments on it happening to you and not the next owner, THANK YOU for having integrity.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If the shaft is rounded over then you will need to replace it, p/n 13161-1217 (about $40), and a new shift lever. You could do aftermarket, but I prefer the OEM one as it is made of some magic rubber steel...you can bend the hell out of it and bend it back with a crescent wrench on the trail lol
If you do replace the shaft, replace the oil seal while you're at it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

and grab a new clutch cover gasket as the cover has to come off to slide the shaft in from the right side.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

morganid wrote: 02:51 pm Nov 05 2019 ..to stiffen the shifter?
One thing I did years ago is to grind the space between the split of the shifter where the bolt come thru, it leave more room for the bolt to grab around the shift shaft before it touch, which make it tighter.
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

My nephew learned to weld when he was in junior high. You can imagine what he did to the Honda 90 shift shaft and lever. And exhaust bracket. And the rack.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on replacing the shaft and shift lever. I prefer the OEM also as I've experienced the "magic rubber steel" myself! It's not a hard job and gives you a good excuse to check the clutch basket condition while you are there.