KDX in National Enduro Series

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX in National Enduro Series

Post by KDXGarage »

Glad your wreck was not worse!

Heal up! You have one more to go.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Heal up brother!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Updated enduro points standings are in through round 9 of the NEPG/Kenda/AMA National Enduro series.
Season Standings.JPG
Season Standings.JPG (23.32 KiB) Viewed 9459 times
It looks like I most likely broke a rib on my rt side in that first fall at Zink Ranch. It is at least bruised pretty good. We have an MD in the family and the conclusion is "probably broken but all they do is give you pain medication and tell you to take it easy." Right now it is restricting my movement pretty much, especially bending over. Not complaining to you guys, heck, probably everyone reading this has banged up something riding their bike. Definitely going down to Alabama for the race Sunday after this, but not sure how hard I'll be able to ride.

Unfortunately, for me, Rick Whelove had an outstanding 3rd place finish at Zink Ranch which clinched his move up to 4th in the season standings and settled me into 5th. As I said earlier, it looks like this is how we will likely end up through the season finale in Maplesville, AL at the Gobbler Getter National Enduro. BUT! It IS the National Enduro Series and ANYTHNG can happen. I am NOT mathematically out of 4th yet. I need to finish 2nd and poor old Rick, nice guy that he is, needs to miss a check point and get a DSQ, which would result in a "0" points score. Stranger things have happened. Bottom line is the fat lady has not yet sung!

Hope Springs Eternal!

Y'all keep 'em brapping!

Old guy Racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OUCH! Sorry to hear the bad news. Take it easy in the next week.

Rest and recover. You might need the points to stay in fifth. :shock: :hmm:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Packing up and getting ready! Round 10 of the Kenda/NEPG/AMA National Enduro Series is this weekend at the Gobbler Getter National National enduro organized by the Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club
Perry Mountain.JPG
Perry Mountain.JPG (39.44 KiB) Viewed 9387 times
I definitely have mixed emotions as I prepare for the 10 hr drive to south Alabama. I'm excited about completing the season, especially at Perry Mountain because I really liked that course last year. At the same time, I'll admit I am tired. Since my fall at the Zink Ranch event I just haven't recovered as quickly as I had hoped. The ribs still hurt and I'm generally just tired. I need to go exercise but the ribs hurt too much so about all I can do is walk. I'll start for sure, but I don't have any huge expectations of performance. We will just have to see.

OK! Enough whining! I've got a season finale race to ride and a 5th place points standing to protect!
They hand out season awards after this race so my sponsor (aka beautiful wife) is going along. As you might imagine this changes our travel plans just a bit. We will leave Friday and drive most of the way, overnighting in a hotel somewhere depending on how far we get. However, she will have to share the race trailer with me once we arrive at the enduro Saturday around lunch.
double up.jpg
double up.jpg (121.25 KiB) Viewed 9387 times
Tight sleeping quarters for sure. I suspect we'll run the little 2kw generator all night as it is predicted to reach 37* and we'll enjoy having the heat.
Key Time.JPG
Key Time.JPG (51.29 KiB) Viewed 9387 times
Unfortunately the key time for the enduro was moved to 8AM (normally 9) due to the time change . Looks like we will be getting ready in the dark!

Ya'll keep brapping!

Old Guy racin'
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Good luck!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXDave »

Best to you fellow KDX rider............
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

IMG_3821.jpg
IMG_3821.jpg (143.51 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
"Offthe road again...Just can't wait to get off the road again"
Thank you Willie Nelson for some musical inspiration! And please excuse my little modification! Enroute to the last enduro of the NEPG National Enduro series, round 10 in Maplesville, AL. My sponsor (aka beautiful wife, Jane) road with me on this one as planned so we actually left Friday morning, making several stops along the way (including dinner at a rib joint in Covington, GA Travis and I discovered on the way to OK 2 weeks before). We were passed by this rig pulling two older KDX's. Tried to keep up with them and get a better pix but those old KDX models must be really fast!
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG (147.11 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Finally made it after an excellent lunch in a local cafe. We are here!
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG (142.99 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Travis got here just after us and we got the usual camp set up. There would be serious frost on that pumpkin by morning! We walked over to the sign up tent to pick up our front plate numbers and introduce Jane to some of the new friends we've made during the season.
IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3838.JPG (113.09 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
IMG_3839.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG (171.42 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Since it was so close to Halloween, many people had decorated their campsites. Maybe they were hoping to ward off evil spirits for the race?

There was one more pre-race adjustment to the bike and for this I needed Jane's extra hands to help. Recall I fell hard last race in a fast turn. It was the fourth time this had happened this season. I decided to violate one of my own rules (nothing new on race day) and raised my KX 250 forks 5mm in the clamps. My thought was the slightly longer KX Forks could be contributing to this wash out. Based on how the Forks did in this race, I am pleased with this adjustment and intend to keep them this way. I did not notice any tendency for high speed head shake, but perhaps I never pushed it quite hard enough to shake either. We will see.
Last edited by doakley on 11:08 pm Nov 05 2019, edited 1 time in total.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Jane and I were actually pretty comfortable inside the pimped out race trailer (see interior photo in earlier post above). OK, maybe a little crowded but at least we were warm.
Jane acknowledged my love for her in buying her a new, warmer sleeping bag and a 5 gal bucket camp toilet so she didn't have to walk to the Porta John in the middle of the night. However, the marriage-long claim of " I love you more" has to go to Jane. What a trooper!

I microwaved us some Jimmie Dean breakfast in the morning cold and it was "breakfast in bed" ....sorta. Then the time to get to the start was upon us and I gave Jane a lift down on the back of the bike.
IMG_3841.jpg
IMG_3841.jpg (144.29 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Here's a pre-start photo of "Team Christmas" (red and green bikes and slow).
IMG_3842.jpg
IMG_3842.jpg (175.48 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
They always mark the start of the enduro with this big arch. Gives a little pagentry to the race I suppose. But this was the first time we had a creek crossing immediately after the start. I'm wondering how nasty this got in the later rows (there were over 700 riders!). I see a potential bottle neck right at the start for the late rows and am glad we were on row 9.
IMG_3843.jpg
IMG_3843.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
"Ten seconds, crank 'em up!" Enduros are live engine starts but you aren't allowed to crank until 10 seconds to go. Then you watch the clock, not the starter, and go when it flips to your number.
IMG_3844.jpg
IMG_3844.jpg (136.95 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
I was paying attention and got a good jump on the rest of the guys in my row! Partially because I saw Jane up there barely off the course risking life, limb or at least getting very muddy to get a photo. I just had to gas it for the camera!

Unfortunately that was all the action photography Jane got. Bless her heart, she spent an hour asking people where to find the finish line so she could get a photo. I failed to explain to her that each test (we rode 4) has its own "finish line" but usually out in the woods somewhere. Oh well!
Last edited by doakley on 06:05 am Nov 07 2019, edited 1 time in total.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I didn't ride well at all today. Jane taped up my ribs before the start and I sneaked a Hydrocodone in me without her seeing as well. I just wanted to start and ride what I could of the last race of the season. During every test I was thinking I would drop out at the end of that test. In the end though I managed to finish the required 4 tests. Not fast and unfortunately not without dropping the bike a few times. Only once was an actual crash though and another rider stopped to help me get out from under the bike. That's one of the things I like about enduro competition. Someone will always check to see that you are ok when you fall. For this race I only managed to finish 17th out of 22 riders. I was just happy to be there. The overall season standing was the only thing that mattered to me at this point.
IMG_3855.jpg
IMG_3855.jpg (175.32 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
And here is the result. A KDX back at the podium where it belongs!! I wound up finishing 5th overall in the 65+ class. I was thrilled with that and I'm not sure I could have gotten my helmet back on my swelled head right then! You would have thought I had just won the overall title by the way Sponsor was going around telling people! I must admit it is very nice to have my lovely wife so obviously pleased, even if somewhat prejudiced.
IMG_3860.PNG
IMG_3860.PNG (888.58 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
And so, my long, hard rookie season of racing on the National Enduro circuit has ended for me. Was it everything I had expected and hoped for? YOU BET! That and so much more!

Was it worth the travel, the time, pain, the back surgery between races 3 and 4, and the commitment? You bet, every bit of it! Some 40 years ago I had dreamed of riding the Alligator National Enduro and now finally at 67 that dream morphed into riding the entire national series. I wouldn't trade this experience for much of anything. I made some new friends along the way and many of you on this forum fall into that catagory. I am grateful to the founders and administrators of this site for allowing me to chronicle my experiences here and of course to you people who have had the patience to follow along. I really appreciated your comments, feedback and encouragement.

The off-season now begins, a time for rest and intensified training. Both me and the KDX need some attention and refreshing. Will I do this again next season? Right now I honestly haven't made up my mind. My "unfinished business" of 40 years ago is finished. My racing is not. I just received my new RB Design OEM style carb in the mail though and already have replacement wheel and suspension bearings!! NEVER COUNT THE OLD GUY OUT!

Y'all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin'
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Awesome! Congratulations on your 5th overall. :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

EXCELLENT THREAD and even better story. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us all, doakley!

Congratulations on the 5th place finish. It is a truly great achievement!!
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Don’t let it end!
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXDave »

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to post your story on KDXRider......This has been the most interesting story for some time....being I'm an "old guy" and weekly rider I can really identify your your aches and pains...GREAT JOB telling your story! You are the man! Thx KDXDave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats and good job on finishing out the season! Once the race bug bites riding changes...every ride, even the "fun trail rides" becomes a practice session for the next round. Look forward to following along next season! :lol:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

What's up, KDX race fans?? I haven't posted on this thread in a bit so thought I would do a little update.
Question: Is the Old Guy going to race next season or not?
Answer: Of Course he is!!!

So I've made the decision to continue racing. I guess it is true that once it gets in you, it's hard to give up. Just haven't finalized exactly what races. The 2020 NEPG National Enduro schedule is published. I plan on racing some but not all of them. A couple this year are over 24 hours drive each way and that's just too much time off work. I intend to at least ride in enough to qualify for season points though.
Schedule.jpg
Schedule.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 8858 times

I'm also looking into riding in a few GNCC races this year just to see what they are like. Still waiting on the 2020 GNCC schedule to see what looks interesting and possible. In the meantime, it's time to get back in the gym and get down to some serious bike refurbishing as well!

Stripped.jpg
Stripped.jpg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
So...I've stripped the old gal both for routine maintenance and to look at things that don't normally get checked through the race season. Here's a brief list of things I KNOW I'll be doing:
-Have forks and shocks serviced by SR1 suspension (Yes, I could probably do this myself, but proper suspension is so important, I'd rather go to an expert.)
-Clean, replace or regrease all linkage bearings, replace seals
-Check wheel bearings for XS play, replace as needed.
-Start the season with fresh brakes F & R, complete service, fluids, etc.
-Inspect for any engine fluid leaks
-(Would normally clean KIPS valves but I did that with the engine rebuild not long ago)
-Replace lost cap on coolant overflow tank (safety wire that thing this time!)
-Change ATF fluid of course
-Clean & inspect chain and sprockets for wear, replace as needed
-Renew graphics with new (same stuff, just not so beat up)
-Install new RB-Design OEM style carb (Super excited to check this out!)
-Install new FMF Desert pipe (see below)
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg (114.67 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
So at the Zink Ranch race, I fell in the rocks and badly dented my FMF Woods pipe. I mean BADLY, right through the pipe guard. Also knocked byself out sorta and apparently broke a rib, but that's another story. I filled the pipe with water and froze it to get the dent out. It worked but unfortunately I left it in the freezer too long and split the pipe as well. since this was a "Woods" pipe and the "Desert" pipe (or "Rev" pipe) is recommended for the 220, I decided to use this excuse as the opportunity to buy a new Desert pipe. I'll see if my shop can weld the Woods pipe back. Whichever one I decide to keep, the other will likely end up for sale on this site!
stem.jpg
stem.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
I also ended up with this little unexpected discovery. This is the lower steering bearing as I found it. I had not noticed a problem until I removed the forks and wheel. Then, after the weight of the front end was removed, I felt something was obviously not right with the steering. Luckily I had another bearing from a spare KDX stem I picked up (on this site BTW). I cleaned up the race in the frame as best I could and we'll see if I wind up buying new after all. (BTW, this is what a KDX stem looks like pressed into a KX lower clamp for any of you contemplating the switch to KX forks.)
SR1.jpg
SR1.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
Just a shout out to SR1 Suspension R&D again. Jarred Daniels put a complimentary tee shirt in with my stuff when I picked them up.
So, does this make him my first official sponsor??? Seriously, SR1 has really made a big difference in the KDX/KX conversion. Super happy with how the bike handles now.

So we're getting her "Ready to Race".

Y'all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

GREAT NEWS!

Good luck in 2020!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

One of the upgrades I’m doing is switching to an RB Design OEM style carb. Due to a foot injury I haven’t been able to ride yet but I thought I would give a quick initial impression.....WOW!! The beast is alive and teaming with new power! I still have to play around with the jetting as I’ve only ridden in the parking lot but the difference is very noticeable! From an idle in 2nd it easily lifts the front wheel with a blip of the throttle. Haven’t gotten past 3rd gear yet but I can’t wait to give her a full blown test ride!
2020 KDX.jpg
2020 KDX.jpg (119.32 KiB) Viewed 8722 times
2020 KDX 220 "Ready to Race"

Y'all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin'
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

Nice!
I was watching GNCC on Youtube and I saw 6 guys riding side by side through dense trees.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Had my first serious practice ride today since getting the bike ready for the new Enduro season. First Enduro is Feb 2nd in Sumter, SC. Online entry is Wednesday at 8PM. By 8:15 or so it will be nearly sold out!
The bike is ready. In fact, with the new RB OEM style carb , it absolutely rips! It’s like a different bike. Still has all the bottom power but now it is really alive in the mid and upper range. Used to go flat if rev’d out but now it just keeps going! I can’t wait to race this beast! Refreshed suspension and new carb made
me feel much more confident on the bike. At one point I did think it was responding a little slow in some tight single track, but then I realized I was in 4th gear! I thought it was still in third which explains why it felt a little sluggish. I don’t normally ride tight stuff in 4th! This bike is DEFINITELY Ready to Race! Now to get busy on the rider!!

Y’all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin’