KDX in National Enduro Series

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX in National Enduro Series

Post by doakley »

Well............This one goes on the "Wall of Shame" Fell on what should have been a minor hill. No big deal except the bike got hung up on a stinking little sapling/tree/root, something! I finally had to flip it over upside down on its seat and gas tank down the hill to get free. Too bad no one came by with a camera and caught that one! Lost a LOT of time and more importantly, energy, there. I've learned the real problem is the energy you expend getting out of stupid messes like this. GoPro always flattens out the terrain. This was actually so steep I tumbled over backwards myself when I fell and got a nasty bruise on my left arm and elbow. Everyone at work wanted to know why my arm was so black and blue. I just told them it was "self-inflicted elder abuse"!
Damn root!.JPG
Damn root!.JPG (90.97 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the report! Congratulations on your finish. You are doing great!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, dropping your bike/crashing is what wears me out in a race.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Thanks, Dave! When I started this I had no idea if I could/would complete the entire series. The encouragement and support from this group has certainly helped keep me at it!

Just a little update while I’m here. In my post-race bike checks, I found the stock chain guide was really showing a lot of wear so I’ve ordered a Fredette guide as a replacement. I’ll give a little rider report on it after the Bootlegger Enduro this weekend.

I also changed the ATF fluid I’ve been using and put in a fresh 1.2L . I know, standard is .7L, but Gary at EMF told me to overfill the case so the clutch would run cooler. So far so good. The old fluid looked and smelled like good fluid , no burnt plate smell. Probably could have left it in but I change every two races anyway.

I’ll check back in with a report on the SETRA Bootlegger Enduro next week. This is typically a challenging, rocky Enduro in the NC foothills with some very technical terrain. It looks like I may lock in 2nd in the SETRA Enduro series no matter how I finish so I’m riding just for more practice. Stand up, Old Guy!!!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Wow! What a nice but rocky, rooty, hilly enduro! Loved it! Got a 2nd, big difference in a Regional and National event. Since I was looking at this as a practice I tried to keep that in mind. I didn't think "go faster, go faster" as much as working on technique. Tried to stand as much as possible but I still sat too much. Tried to keep my inside foot out in front of me on the turns and not sit for the turn (if standing) until just entering the turn. Stand pigeon toed and "lead with my chest" to keep my eyes looking down the trail. All things that my buddy Jonathan Mayzak had me working on before his untimely death. Can't say I did a great job but at least I had some goals for this practice ride. Bike ran great and I am finally confident in the rebuild. Also getting used to the shorty kx125 kicker and liking it and the new LHRB setup.

Met another KDX220 rider there who is also from NC. Bike appeared to be pretty much stock except for the pipe. He was pretty quick. I could keep up for a little while but he made far fewer little mistakes than I did and pulled away. Here's a shot:
IMG_3710.jpg
IMG_3710.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
Great to see the old green bikes still out there.

Next up for Travis and me is the Muddobbers National in Matthews, IN, a mere 13 hr drive for us!

Y'all keep brappin'

Old guy racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Awesome result and report! Thanks for keeping us informed. Good luck at the next race!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

First report from the Muddobbers National Enduro in Indiana.

Whew!! What a trip! What should have been 13 hours driving easily spread over 2 days took a dump early on after about 3 hours when one of my trailer tires had a blow out. Luckily Travis saw it right away and got us safely stopped without damaging the rim. Of course the tire itself was a shredded mess.

Luckily there was a Walmart nearby with a replacement tire so our time loss was not that bad.

Overnighted in Ohio at a truck stop as per our usual. That night Travis' phone took a terminal dump. Luckily we found an Apple Store in Dayton, OH, along our route and we were able to get his phone replaced. We decided the motto for this trip would be, "That's why we leave early!"
IMG_3754.jpg
IMG_3754.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
Luckily, the Muddobbers MC Club puts up excellent signs to help find the enduro.

The Muddobbers National is often billed as the "Covered Bridge" enduro in years when it is not on the national schedule.
IMG_3755.jpg
IMG_3755.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
This is where the start will be tomorrow morning; we go right under the bridge and along the river bank.
IMG_3765.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
Here is a short piece of the trail along the bank.

It is cool but has been very very dry of late. People who rode in the Beta and KTM demo rides said it was so dry and dusty the trails were actually slippery in the powder like soil. We could actually use a little rain tonight but it doesn't look likely.
IMG_3764.jpg
IMG_3764.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
Spaghetti dinner to benefit the local fire department that night followed by a local band. These guys know how to put on an event for sure.
IMG_3757.jpg
IMG_3757.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
After dinner it was a trip t the ice cream vendor! Two scoops of chocolate with Reese topping, please.

Burp! Definitely not on my race diet but a darn nice way to top off the meal. Off to an early bedtime tonight to get some rest for tomorrow.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old man racin'
Last edited by doakley on 07:35 pm Oct 08 2019, edited 1 time in total.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Man, that's close to Indy. That's still home to me. Good luck!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report and good luck!

I had a trailer tire blow out a couple of years ago. I got it replaced at... Walmart! The next day I was at the local Walmart to replace the other side. Within a week or so, I had a spare wheel with a "new to me" used tire on it.

I don't want that to happen again! I am sure you don't either. I encourage you to check pressures and year date codes, along with wear.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hello, KDX race fans! Just a brief post enduro report tonight.

After the race Sunday we drove until almost 2AM trying o get as close to home as possible before stopping for the night. Unfortunately it rained most of the evening during our drive and we got caught up in an hour long traffic delay due to someone having an unfortunately serious accident.

This enduro course was awesome!! Mile after mile of tight, torturing, single track. Even the transfer sections between tests were largely excellent trail. In fact, one 2.5 mile transfer section was virgin trail and ultra tight! Not a lot of elevation changes and only one serious hill to blast up, just miles of tree banging. Yes, the bark busters and even my forearms got a good work out. Some smooth rocky sections, mostly short with softball to volley ball sized rocks along with two fun and rocky river crossings. Although it rained just a bit right at the start, the river was low and most trails were dusty. If I had to pick something this years' Muddobbers would be remembered for it wouldn't be mud. It would be all the logs! It got to the point if I went around a corner and there was NOT a log laying across the trail, usually at an angle, I thought perhaps I was on the wrong course😂
Most were fairly small and honestly you could just roll over them. But some were 24 or possibly more in diameter. I got over all of them (ok there was an alternate around some of the larger logs which I took when able!) and only fell twice. At least both falls were after I had made it over the log and one was because this stinking little tree jumped right up in front of me! It happens!

Travis and I each finished 9th in our respective classes. I think Travis was a little disappointed but, given the competition that showed up in my class (including Richard Burleson who only finished 4th!!!)I was pleased. I still have a very narrow 5 point hold on 4th for the season. Admittedly that may change at the end of the year when throwouts are factored in (they only take your best 8 races of the 10 race series).

This was round eight so two more to go, round 9, Zink Ranch, site of the only ISDE held in the United States, in two weeks, then followed by the finale, the Gobbler Getter, in Maplesville, AL. It's a race to the finish so whatever happens, I'm in it!

Y'all keep brapping!

Old guy racin'
Last edited by doakley on 08:42 pm Oct 07 2019, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As always, congratulations on living the dream! Excellent write up as usual.
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

I’ve enjoyed following your racing this season and wish the best of luck to you in your next two events. From my experience towing race car trailers cross country I recommend you not only have a spare tire but also an already greased spare hub assembly with cap and extra cotter pin stored in a sealed container in your trailer.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Congrats! Just think, you're going to race the KDX in an ISDE. That's what the KDX was built for!
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Thanks, SS109. It's a big deal, to me at least, to think I'll be riding in that location and possibly even on some of the same trails(?) where the ISDE was held. It's one of the reasons I decided to make the 1000+ mile drive (each way) out to OK. I stand corrected though. Zink Ranch was the second time the ISDE was held in the US. The 1973 ISDT ( International Six Day's Trials then) was held in Dalton, MA.
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG (116.17 KiB) Viewed 8323 times
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Well, here we go again! Round 9 of the 2019 AMA/NEPG National Enduro Series is this Sunday at Zink Ranch, just outside Tulsa, OK. Google says it is 1173 miles each way for us. Based on our motto of "That's why we leave early!", we are beginning the drive tomorrow, Thursday, which should give us time not to feel pushed. I took KDXGarage's advice and replaced the other trailer tire so we have fresh rubber on the trailer now. Packed up with the usual, breakfast bars, snacks, drinks, water, fruit, etc. (Peanut M&M's seem to have become somewhat of a road snack tradition for us now.). This time we are taking a small table and a microwave along with some Jimmy Dean microwave breakfast bowls just in case breakfast is a bust at the race like last time. Also expecting it to be a little cooler so packed the electric heater and some extra gas for the 2kw generator. We should be good to go!

Except for all the driving, I'm almost as excited to do this one as I was for the Alligator in FL. I'm really stoked to be riding where they held an ISDE 25 years ago.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old guy racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Drive safely and have fun!

I am a fan of the bowls myself, had a couple this week already. :-)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Welcome KDX race fans!!
After a long 1200 mile slog from SC to Zink Ranch we finally made it. We elected to drive a little longer on Friday and arrived at Zink Ranch about 10:30 PM . This kept us from having to spend another night in a noisy truck stop. (Really developing a dislike for sleeping there.)
IMG_3788.jpg
IMG_3788.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
By arriving early we got our choice of camping spots. Worked out nicely as the place began getting really crowded by late afternoon.
IMG_3793.jpg
IMG_3793.jpg (118.08 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
"Healthy" breakfast Sat morning of Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl, Power Ade, fruit and of course our staple, peanut M&M's.
IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3789.jpg (178.53 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
I love walking around the race camp and really glad I saw this display. This is the KX 250 ridden in the 1994 ISDE held right here at Zink Ranch, ridden by Ty Davis, the top US rider. Interesting to see details of the bike.
IMG_3791.jpg
IMG_3791.jpg (163.35 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
And this is the Yamaha 250 ridden by Stephane Peterhansel of France, the overall winner of the ISDE.

Remember by 1994, the ISDE format had changed considerably with an emphasis on grass track and motocross type riding, not as well suited to the KDX. Reconfigured MX bikes were favored instead. Zink enduro continues at least some of this today as our first section is 3.1 miles of grass track.

Spent the rest of the day walking and talking with other riders and some of the vendors we have come to know over the season. It is really nice to talk with the different competitors. We also walked part of the grass track and a short portion of test 2 just to get a feel for conditions. I think no less than 5 locals have warned us not to cut corners looking for hot lines in either the grassy open areas, which have huge hidden boulders or the trees which have huge thorns and will rip at your arms. Gonna' be a fun ride in the morning!

Y'all keep brapping!

Old guy racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the update. That is a nice look back into time 25 years ago.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Okayyyy! The 2019 Zink Ranch National Enduro is in the record books. I managed to finish a respectable 8th in class. I was pleased especially considering that I took three hard getoffs, the first very early in test two. They tell me I was unconscious for a short period but I don't remember! All I recall is trying to get up off the ground and I couldn't. Oh well, happens to an old guy racing I guess. There were rocks everywhere, some you couldn't see and I took a tumble in a fast sweeper when the front tire hit a rock I never saw and the rest of the rocks
came up to meet me. I thought I was riding well but hat really took the starch out of my briefs.

Anyway, test one was all grass track and was a blast. The early morning fog was just lifting when our row started at 9:03 so the damp grass was quite slick. I understand the grasstrack was much better later as more riders had built up some berms and the grass was dryer and chewed up. I managed to pressure a guy on my row in the 60+ class riding a KTM 350 through much of it so it was a lot of fun.

Test 2 I already talked about going down for the "eight count". Tests 3 & 4 were very similar and each was 9 miles long. They don't have forest out here like I'm used to, more of a thinly spaced section of these gnarly, tough trees. Most, but not all of the actual woods sections were pretty open by eastern standards. The big difference was the trees didn't give. If you cut too close in a corner the limbs were so stiff they didn't push out of your way. Instead they either grabbed and pulled at your gear or simply pushed you off line. You very quickly learned to give them a little extra space.

And of course there were the rocks, more rocks and extra rocks. Big rocks, some engine block sized, Little Rock's, medium rocks and rocks with rocks. Rocks in the fields hiding in the grass just waiting to mess with you and big mother rocks in the creek crossings under water. The trees even grew out of the rocks. In fact, I think they were rock trees scattering their rock seeds about. Mostly sharp edged rocks too.

Test 5 was 12 miles long and they finally found the woods in northern Oklahoma! Good tight woods section interspersed with open stuff, and of course, plenty of rocks. This is KDX stuff but two more get offs in test 3, one in a rock garden and one in the tree rocks, did me in and it turned out being my worst timed section. Still fun riding though.

So, results? I already mentioned my 8th. That, combined with my nearest competitor's excellent 3rd this week, has moved me into 5th for he season and right now, it looks like that is where I will likely finish in the standings. I'm good with that. Would have loved a podium, but these old guys are GOOD!

Travis pulled off an 11th out of 25 riders n the 40+ C class and looks like he has a solid hold on 4th for his season. I'd say respectable finishes for both of us in our first National season for sure.

I've got some mending of both me (bruised ribs again) and the bike. The rocks put a deep dent in my FMF pipe and the pipe guard (did I mention there were lots of hateful rocks?) so I'll be trying out that freezing water dent removal trick this week.

In two weeks it is on to Maplesville, AL for the Perry Mountain National, last in the 2019 series. My sponsor (aka beautiful wife) plans on going to this one since they have a dinner and awards presentations after the enduro. I'll report back on the dent repair and do a season wrap up then.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin'
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXDave »

WOW! The story continues! I find this so entertaining! Being a weekly trail rider I can identify with rocks and trees. It's always a wake up call when you tag a tree hard....Thank goodness for the Scotts dampener or I'd be off into the woods.....You the man Old Guy Racin'! Looking forward to the season wrap up! KDXDave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC