KDX in National Enduro Series

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX in National Enduro Series

Post by doakley »

If you’ve caught my posts under “Race bike engine overhaul” in the General section, you know I’ve had some self-induced delays getting the engine back together. I think I’m on the home stretch but just in case I don’t get that dang $4.10 spring in time from RMATV, we’ve gotten Travis’ 2013 KTM 250 SX in and going. New radiators, new crank seal and some changes to tame that SX beast a little. Problem is I have almost no seat time in the KTM and have been riding with an autoclutch and left hand rear brake for a year now. I desperately need seat time if I have to use the KTM this Sunday. Hope to get a little tomorrow afternoon . Maybe my spring will come in tomorrow and I can finish the rt side assembly and give the KDX a spin Thursday. Piss poor way to run a race campaign though. I need the points so I’ll ride whatever is available.
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

"KTM and have been riding with an autoclutch and left hand rear brake for a year now. "
I borrowed my kids KTM for a race. First time I rode it he had a left hand brake on it, I was flying through the air thinking "where is that brake?"
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

OK!. The engine rebuild is officially completed and tested. Ran it hard on the MX track today for 39-49 min with no problems.
I took this opportunity to make two changes:
1. Switched to the kx125 kicker and I’m pretty sure I’m going to really like this swap.
2. Replaced the rubber handlebar mount cones with solid aluminum. After about 20 min on the MX course I could definitely feel a tingle in my right fingers. I’m going to leave them installed for the National Enduro in Wellston, OH this Sunday. I’ll give you a report afterwards.

Speaking of the Enduro, Travis and I are leaving after work Friday to get a jump on the driving. It’s about 9 hrs each way but we both prefer to get closer on Friday so we don’t have so far to drive Sat before the Enduro.

Y’all keep brapping and I’ll report in later!

Old guy racin’
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If 20 minutes makes them tingle, won't 2 hours be way worse? I say throw the rubber cones in the bag and change them Saturday.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Good morning, KDX riders! Here we are at a Flying J truck stop in Wytheville, VA, where we stopped for the night on our way to the enduro in Wellston, OH. Light rain this morning woke me bu otherwise I slept well in the KDX hauler/trailer/camper! Travis bunks in the van on a blow up mattress so we each sleep next to our bikes until we reach the enduro. (Now you know one reason my wife rarely makes these jaunts with us!)
IMG_3656.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
I haven't stayed at a lot of truck stops yet but so far my preference is Flying J. They usually have some spaces dedicated to RV's away from the big truck rigs. Nothing against truckers but they do tend to run engines all night plus they come and go at odd hours as their work schedule requires. Must be an interesting but hard lif being a long haul trucker. Since darn near everything you hav, eat or purchase came on one, thank a trucker the next time you have the chance.

Anyway, Flying J also has a Denny's restaurant which serves up a pretty good breakfast, a definite benefit. In this case they also had a loaner "break into your vehicle" kit for when you accidentally lock both your van keys in the van. (Please don't ask!)

Right now we are only some 35 miles away so should be ther in plenty of time to get set up and established. Travis wants a new tire mounted and I still have to deal with those handle bar cones.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old guy racin'
Asewell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Asewell »

Good Luck, looking forward to the race report.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OH MY! Both keys!!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

One of the things I enjoy is walking around the event grounds and talking with the various riders and their support crews. This afternoon we bumped into Stu Baylor, currently overall pro leader as he was exiting the sign up area. He was very approachable and willing to chat for a minute or two. We wished him good luck in the upcoming ISDE this fall and commented on how the ISDE begins only 3 days after the last NEPG enduro.

I also enjoy checking out the wide variety of rigs racers bring to the events. Some are quite impressive while others are equally modest. Here are some examples:
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
Gordon Stout's rig is among the grandest. Gordon is the current points leader in my class. He is quite accomplished as the door to his cargo trailer reveals. This next photo.
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
IMG_3663.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
This is an example of a cargo trailer on steroids. It is owned by Ted Presson. Ted has only raced 2 enduros this year but, having raced pro motocross in his younger years, is also pretty fast, even at 70 years young.
IMG_3668.jpg
IMG_3668.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
This guy looks like he has been camped here for a week, so much stuff in a 6x12 cargo trailer!
IMG_3669.jpg
IMG_3669.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
This was probably the most modest rig I saw, other than the tents.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That's all for now. I'm crashing to get some much needed sleep before the race tomorrow. On row 3 again so our start time is 9:03 . It will be a busy and focused morning.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old guy racin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Spider web clearer! Stay safe, and blast 'em! (the other racers, not the spider webs)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Whew! Glad that one is in the books! The course at the Little Racoon Enduro this weekend was just awesome! The hilly terrain and creek bottoms gave the track crew plenty to work with and they used it well. Lots of steep downhills, even some drop offs, with of course a ton of hill climbs as well. Also tons of off camber trails. I don’t think this would be a fun area had it rained. However weather conditions were perfect. If it is dry, I would definitely recommend you ride this one. If wet, I will stay home and watch TV reruns!

Finish, oh yeah, THAT part.....Not too good. The bike ran perfectly and for the most part I thought I rode pretty well. I failed to make three of the biggest hills on the first try and wrestling the bike around and back down for a second shot really took the energy away. I managed to squeak out a 10th which was last in class! Still, I only lost 2 points so my series 4th ranking is still holding.

Funny thing about the 65+ class. I think I may be one of the few actual C class riders there. The top 8 guys in my class are pretty much former A riders. There is even a former pro motocross racer and a prior GNCC class champion. Travis finished 6th in his class, 40+C, but had
he been registered in 65+, he would have finished 9th!

So, in two weeks we take another shot at it in Park Hills, Missouri. About a 14 hour drive each way for us. I gotta’ make up some points!!

Y’all keep brapping!

Old guy racin’
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SWEET! Keep living the dream!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Well this certainly sucks! Travis and I live fairly close to each other, as the crow flies. Unfortunately right along the projected track of hurricane Dorian which will be passing through our area later today and into the early morning hours Friday. I've already evacuated to the NC mountains. Travis is staying and hopes to be able to leave, baring any damage to his home, Friday morning. We hope to meet up in Knoxville, TN where we will leave my truck and drive the rest of the way to Missouri together.

Will let you know how it goes!

Log guy racin!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Stay safe!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Wow, be safe!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ok!! Here we are on our way to Park Hills, MO for Round 7 of the Kenda NEPG National Enduro series! Travis and I met up at the Knoxville, TN airport where we switched my trailer to his van and left my truck in the airport long term parking lot. Since we were both pretty tired from hurricane duty we decided to continue on only as far as Nashville for the night. So, here we are at a TA Travel Center (truckstop) in downtown Nashville. I mean city center and DAMNNNN! IT IS HOT!!!

Here’s a shot of my humble abode for the evening.
1FED7587-5917-4586-ABC9-C53E8D81B253.jpeg
1FED7587-5917-4586-ABC9-C53E8D81B253.jpeg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 9443 times
At least it is relatively quiet as we’ve learned not to park too close to the trucks. Get some shuteye and then off for the final 4+ hours of driving in the morning.

Keep brapping!

Old guy racin....(sweating!)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

MAN! Rough go! Rest up and drive on!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hey, Team Green! Sorry to be so late writing this up. Between all the travel, some 2000 miles round trip, and dealing with hurricane Dorian, I've been a little delayed.

After the absolutely horrible meal we gagged down at the Pilot truck stop Friday night, we decided to treat ourselves to something a little different for breakfast. We found a little shop that specializes in country hams. As the lady said, "We do everything but the slaughtering!" Two country ham biscuits later I had to declare it the best country ham I've ever had. Then she showed me this:
IMG_3684.jpg
IMG_3684.jpg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
That's right! This bank and a local doctor paid $2.8 million as a charity auction for an 18 lb ham at the KY state fair! WoW!! Am I in the wrong business or what??

OK, on the the Lead Belt enduro...

The Missouri Mudders MC Club put this event on at the St. Joe State Park, over 8000 acres of land given to Missouri by the St Joe Lead Company along with all the old mining buildings etc. It shut down about 1975 or so, but at one time provided over 60% of the world's lead. That's a lot of bullets, paint, car batteries, etc. Interesting, the Missouri State Parks does suggest washing your vehicle off if you've been in an area of high "lead tailings".
Hmmm......
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (129.45 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
I will say the ground where we were camping was unlike any other I had ever seen. It had been very dry lately and this looked somewhat like a surface of dried mud, you know, the kind that cracks up leaving a surface that resembles dried sun burned skin. It crunched under your feet like walking on a layer of potato chips. Later I was to learn what happens to this stuff when it gets wet.

A late lunch consisted of some of the best BBQ pork ribs I've every had, simply outstanding! Turns out this guy spends all his time competing in rib cooking competitions around the country and has done quite well. I only ate a half rack for lunch but when I came back for more at dinner, he was sold out. I had to settle for BBQ pulled pork nachos, also excellent.
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
While I was there for lunch I met this guy, James King, a semi-local AA class rider who was selling tee shirts to help fund his trip to Portugal in November to compete in the ISDE (International Six Days of Enduro). James was one of three members of a "club" team representing the USA and partially sponsored by the Missouri Mudders MC Club. Of course I bought a shirt to support the effort! James won a gold medal last year so the pressure is on!
IMG_3698.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
Sunday morning we lined up on row 3 at 9:03 for our start and that's exactly when the rain started! Over the day it would rain off and on, a total of about 3/4 inch or so. Not a problem I'm thinking, it will keep the dust down.

The rule for the day was ROCKS, ROCKS and more ROCKS! Big rocks, little rocks, loose rocks and then.......roots where there weren't rocks! Rock ledges, and then entire sections of softball sized rocks put down like a gravel road with a few volley ball sized rocks thrown in for good measure. You couldn't pick a line through these; you just had to stand up, lean your weight back and get on the gas! Not unlike riding through sand in the southeast, without the whoops. Don't know why I was surprised at all the rocks. It WAS a lead mine after all.

Overall, I would say one of the most interesting courses I've ridden so far. Lots of elevation changes but not too many really big hill climbs. Most of the hills seemed to have a small creek bed at the bottom (mostly dry today) which prevented getting a good run at the hill. Well, it prevented me anyway. I did see a pro rider simply jump the little rocky creek bed and blast up the hill like he was cruising down the interstate on his Harley. They live in a different world from us mortals for sure!

Overall the course was pretty fast and good flow. Some tight woods stuff, but apparently trees can only grow so close together in that much rock! Most of the tighter stuff was in the valleys between the rocky hills.

Oh, yeah. Remember that strange crunchy dirt in the camping area. Seems that stuff turns into the slickest baby poop you've ever ridden on when combined with a little red clay and water. Section four had a large amount (seemed large anyway) of trails with this slick goo that filled up your tires, weighted down your bike and made your tires slide all over the place. When we finally climbed out of the lower areas and got back to dry, I was never as glad to see...yes...you got it...MORE ROCKS! "Thank you, Jesus, for these dry rocks!" I remember saying!

The one thing we missed was riding the "Waterfall" section. This a portion that actually goes down a creek as the water cascades over successive rocky outcroppings as small waterfalls, anywhere from 1 ft to maybe 4 ft drops into the creek. This was in section 6 and only the pros and "A" riders did section 6. (C class and 60+ riders only do 4 sections normally). I asked about skipping section 5 but riding 6 just so I could experience the "Waterfall" that we saw on so many videos. "Yes, you can do that, but there are two of the worst rock gardens you've ever seen before you get to the waterfall section". Enough of the rocks already!! We declined...

How did we do?

(Drum roll please.......) I managed to pull out a 4th in class which I considered very lucky! It keeps me in 4th for the season but unfortunately my competitor in 5th finished 3rd so he did close the points gap. Travis got a very respectable 11th out of 22 in his class, 40+C, which also kept him in 4th for the season.

The next race is actually a regional SETRA (Southeastern Enduro and Trail Riders Association) event, the Bootlegger Enduro, in North Wilkesboro, NC.
Although not a national, we are riding it just to have enough SETRA events done to qualify for season points in the local organization. The next National Enduro, is October 6th in Matthews, IN. We'll see you there and,

Y'all keep brapping!!

Old guy racin'
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

OOPs! Almost forgot. I promised a report on how the new LHRB set up worked. I'll just do a more detailed note on several newer mods on the bike.

-Recall I replaced the Nissin master cylinder & lever with the one off my now unused Magura hydraulic clutch. I'm totally pleased with the results. I now have some "feel" in the rear brake. I think this combination of a quality LHRB set up with the autoclutch is going to be perfect for me. I'm running 13/49 gearing and find I can ride most woods trails in 3rd, lugging a little sometimes but smoother than rev'd out in 2nd.

-The overheating issue reported earlier (months ago now) seems to have been resolved by properly adjusting the autoclutch so it doesn't slip quite as much and by using Evans Waterless Coolant. I haven't had any overheating or boil over issues in the last few races at all.

-The rebuild seems to be working just great, BTW, and thanks again to each of you who helped and encouraged me to split the cases and renew all the bearings.

-I am sold on the Flexx bars now and do not want to go back to solid. I did trim them down a bit for the trees! I also like the solid aluminum bar mount cones (in place of the stock rubber). Yes, they do transmit more vibration thru to the bars, but I can live with that for the extra resistance to the bars twisting in a fall.

-The elusive cold cranking problem still rears its ugly head from time to time. I know from testing it is a carb issue of some sort, probably just worn out after 20 years on the bike! I don't have the available funds for a new RB mod carb or a Lectron right now though so I'll keep muddling away with this one. Speaking of cranking, I really like the shorty KX125 kicker now that I'm used to it.

-I'm running a Kenda Washougal II rear tire now and still the Shinko Fatty up front. I like both. The Washougal II seems to be a good compromise for the varied conditions expected in these enduro events. I run Kenda Tuff Tubes in both and typically 9-10 psi.

Y'all keep brapping!

Old Guy Racin'
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXDave »

Hey Old Guy Keep up the great stories of your adventure...I'm just an old trail rider but can almost feel the ride myself! Good stories well written!
Thanks for taken the time..............KDXDave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC