Got the wrong color - new project!

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Got the wrong color - new project!

Post by kdxsully »

Picked up a YOT 98 yz125 for 1100. Got it from a pastor who had it for 4 years and barely rode it; before that I think it was a racer. It runs great, but it needs love. It was less obvious when I first bought it and when I took it out for a ride, but..

It sounds like a 99 diesel f150.

What do you guys think, main bearings? I messed with the flywheel side and didn’t get any play whatsoever, taking care to make sure it wasn’t the play of the flywheel itself. Gonna check the right side after I go through the carb.

I know this is a non-KDX, so I probably won’t post much about it.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Got the wrong color - new project!

Post by KDXGarage »

I must have missed it. Post all you want. Lot of us have other bikes IN ADDITION to KDX's. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:32 am Aug 12 2019 I must have missed it. Post all you want. Lot of us have other bikes IN ADDITION to KDX's. :-)
I hope I’m wrong! I’d rather not leave it to chance regardless.
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:32 am Aug 12 2019 I must have missed it. Post all you want. Lot of us have other bikes IN ADDITION to KDX's. :-)
Nah, nah... I say we ban him! Ban Him I say! :twisted:

:butthead: :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I don’t disagree.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I do! I have a Yamaha. I like dirt bikes!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

<raises pitchfork and grabs a torch> Burn all the non-green owners! <cough> realizes he owns a GasGas.<cough>

Uh. nothing to see here! Move along! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I think this is what this Sub-Forum is for haha, "Other Bikes." You're probably safe for now...

If you are going to turn the bike into a woods racer/gncc style/ aka YZ125X then I am all in on this. It is something I want to do down the line.

Not sure I could really hear anything out of the ordinary in the video, but worth expecting everything to save yourself even more trouble down the road. At $1100, you have a low enough starting point as well. Good luck!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I also "cheated" on the KDX last week but I need a plate, so that is my excuse haha.
Attachments
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG (149.62 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:29 am Aug 14 2019 I also "cheated" on the KDX last week but I need a plate, so that is my excuse haha.
Shame! Messing around with those Italian trollops. SHAME! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

SS109 wrote: 12:29 pm Aug 14 2019
VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:29 am Aug 14 2019 I also "cheated" on the KDX last week but I need a plate, so that is my excuse haha.
Shame! Messing around with those Italian trollops. SHAME! :mrgreen:
I thought they were Swedish?
I like turtles
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:24 am Aug 14 2019 I think this is what this Sub-Forum is for haha, "Other Bikes." You're probably safe for now...

If you are going to turn the bike into a woods racer/gncc style/ aka YZ125X then I am all in on this. It is something I want to do down the line.

Not sure I could really hear anything out of the ordinary in the video, but worth expecting everything to save yourself even more trouble down the road. At $1100, you have a low enough starting point as well. Good luck!
These are good things to be reading. I’m gonna crack this oyster open for peace of mind. Rod seems tight and is definitely Japanese. Will probably do main bearings and seals at the least.

I’ve been meaning to post my day one and two findings, my computer was giving me a hard time uploading photos. To be continued..
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kdxsully wrote: 04:42 pm Aug 14 2019I thought they were Swedish?
Sadly, Husqvarna bikes haven't been Swedish since 1987. They were bought out by Cagiva, which is Italian, and moved production there. Then in '07 they were sold to BMW, yet still built in Italy, until Pierer Industrie AG/KTM bought them. Now they're made in Austria.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kdxsully wrote: 04:44 pm Aug 14 2019
VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:24 am Aug 14 2019 I think this is what this Sub-Forum is for haha, "Other Bikes." You're probably safe for now...

These are good things to be reading. I’m gonna crack this oyster open for peace of mind. Rod seems tight and is definitely Japanese. Will probably do main bearings and seals at the least.

I’ve been meaning to post my day one and two findings, my computer was giving me a hard time uploading photos. To be continued..
I bought a basket case '00 YZ125 about four years back. The piston seized and the guy took it all apart, planning on a full rebuild, and just gave up on it. Since it was all apart I got a complete Hot Rods assembled crank/rod kit and put it in there. That bike is still running great. Just an easy, reasonably cheap, option to having the stock crank rebuilt with a new rod if you need to go that route.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Day 1

Post by kdxsully »

So, a guy had a few parts laying around, picked up a rim, clutch assembly, and spare seat.

Anyway, day one consisted of seeing what I got for my money...

Wouldn't be a used motorcycle without busted nuts and stripped bolts.

Had to use the dremel to open the carb.

First look in the carb.. I think I'm gonna throw up..

"Lightly used" - any eBay seller. Apparently these are hard to find, especially with my 5.5 cutaway. Anyone know of a good source for these?? Trying to decide if I'll just get a different carb altogether... it's a 36mm so if I go 38 I'll probably need new boots.

Speaking of boots, the air boot clamp is about 6mm too large for the carb. So it never securely fits, hence the filth inside. I'm desperate to find a solution if anyone can help. The problem is the clamp sits in a groove on the air box boot, so I need a clamp a little over 2 inches but only about 1/4 inch wide.

Not so sure about these radiators.
Last edited by kdxsully on 12:02 am Aug 15 2019, edited 2 times in total.
I like turtles
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

SS109 wrote: 07:13 pm Aug 14 2019
kdxsully wrote: 04:42 pm Aug 14 2019I thought they were Swedish?
Sadly, Husqvarna bikes haven't been Swedish since 1987. They were bought out by Cagiva, which is Italian, and moved production there. Then in '07 they were sold to BMW, yet still built in Italy, until Pierer Industrie AG/KTM bought them. Now they're made in Austria.
I believe this was a Cagiva built Husky. 2007, So the first year it came US 50 State street legal from the factory. In CA that is a big plus. I picked it up last year for pretty reasonable because I didn't want to take a loan out for a new Beta or Husky 350. It allows me to ride more often as I use it to commute to work 3 days a week. I've put a good chunk of change back into it on basic maintenance because the PO neglected it pretty good despite only having 1k miles when I bought it. Unfortunately I just keep adding more aftermarket parts to it haha. I've tracked all the purchases and paid labor through a spreadsheet and I am still at least half of a new bike, so that at least makes me feel ok about it haha. I'll never get back what I've put in, but oh well, that is part of the game. Sure has a ton of power and still feels reasonably light for a 510.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Day 2

Post by kdxsully »

A little caburetor carnage won't hold me back. I'm a fighter. Day 2.

My head has a few dings as well, and I'm still doing fine.

Looks like sloppy joe's.

Cylinder looks good. Wait..

No it doesn't. Anyone ever run a cylinder like this before? My fingernail OBVIOUSLY catches that. It is minute though. What's the piston look like?

Like this. I can't feel anything where those scuff marks are. Also, found the source of my low compression. The ring has a bit of a void in it in one place. I'm leaving the piston on for now, other things need to be done.

No play on the flywheel side, no play when I tug the crank from here, big end bearing seems tight. But I wanna be sure sure, not just sure...

Stay tuned.
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Daaaaamn. I've seen some bad ones but that all looks really bad. I'm going to be blunt, I believe that engine is due for a complete tear down. The carb is pure trash IMO. Get a new one with the proper slide cut. I would go ahead and replace the cylinder head while you're at it. See that crap in the carb? (and you know how it got there) You know where that crap ends up don't you? In your crank and rod bearings! Of course, it's not good on the piston and cylinder as you can clearly see. I see the need for a replate, piston, connecting rod, crank(?), head, carb, bearings, seals, and then all the little things that are stripped or broken.

Start making your list, along with the replacement costs, and make sure it's worth it to you!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry that it is in that shape.

I would start shopping for a head on eBay, get it replated, buy a new Mikuni with the right jets.

The dirt that it sucked in has ground down the slide, and I assume the carb body.

That or stop now and part it out.

Most people do not maintain dirt bikes to the high level that they require.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Minimum I’d replace that single ring on the piston, especially if it’s stuck in the ring land. See if that head could be remachined, but looks like the step already was taken care of. Air filter maintenance wasnt the previous owners strongest trait. Any lower rod brg play? I would agree with the suggestion for a total tear down.

I owned a couple Italian te450 huskies. Def rear steering handling bikes
C52F2FCD-C1F8-45DB-A917-F1069ACC8479.jpeg
C52F2FCD-C1F8-45DB-A917-F1069ACC8479.jpeg (972.04 KiB) Viewed 8852 times
Restore rather than replace