Fat Bars and Lock-On Grips

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fat Bars and Lock-On Grips

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Well finally got some Renthal Fat Bars and ODI lock on grips. I used the Tusk Fat Bar adapters. Just a heads up, the bolts that mount the adapters to the current clamps are too long and thus don't tighten enough. Had to go to ACE and get shorter bolts, but after that no problem. They are definitely wider than the stock bars, so I may be cutting them down pretty quick as I prefer the narrower feel.

I also had to remove the stock odometer, which isn't really that useful but more nostalgic than anything. Will eventually get a Trail Tech. For anybody that has removed that, what did you plug the hole on the fork with, seems like you wouldn't want to get dirt or debris in there? Anyhow, looking forward to seeing if there is a difference. Now onto the Forks!
Attachments
KDX Handlebars.JPG
KDX Handlebars.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3325 times
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fat Bars and Lock-On Grips

Post by KDXGarage »

Damn. Clean cockpit!

Someone had a thread a few weeks ago on buying something to plug that hole with.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

I ended up using the rubber "foot" from a foldable chair. Im a firm believer in cutting my bars down. I usually take a half inch off each side but I ride in lots of trees...Hey at least you still have the red boot for your light switch. I have to cover mine with gorilla tape for the wet days!

Heres what my "cockpit" and TrailTech etc looks like. And a look at my new handguards. I love ACERBIS stuff. But dang they were $30 more than the Tusk D-Flex and others. :lol: :mrgreen:
Attachments
cockpit1495web.jpg
cockpit1495web.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3315 times
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

TwistedRoot wrote: 09:31 am Jul 11 2019 I ended up using the rubber "foot" from a foldable chair. Im a firm believer in cutting my bars down. I usually take a half inch off each side but I ride in lots of trees...Hey at least you still have the red boot for your light switch. I have to cover mine with gorilla tape for the wet days!

Heres what my "cockpit" and TrailTech etc looks like. And a look at my new handguards. I love ACERBIS stuff. But dang they were $30 more than the Tusk D-Flex and others. :lol: :mrgreen:
That's the gold standard right there. Was the Trail Tech an easy install? Electrical work always seems intimidating to me. Are you running it off of the current stator, or just a batter?

My light switch is actually broken as I found out during the bar swap. I used some super glue to keep it on, but will order a new OEM one here soon.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

TwistedRoot,

Also, is that a Tusk billet gas cap? Looks sweet!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:12 pm Jul 10 2019 For anybody that has removed that, what did you plug the hole on the fork with, seems like you wouldn't want to get dirt or debris in there? Anyhow, looking forward to seeing if there is a difference. Now onto the Forks!
On Vossman's rebuild thread (Page 9) there's some information on how he did it. I used his idea and it works great. I included a few close up pics of the part. Just scroll down about half way - Odometer plug
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

TwistedRoot wrote: 09:31 am Jul 11 2019
TR - I love those handguards - they look beefy! I also like the TrailTech and will probably ping you later to get the specifics on it and how you mounted/wired it.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Super easy to install. Running off the watch battery now. One thing to remember is if your planning on swapping to USD forks you will need the sensor that will mount to the fork guard. If your using the conventional fork the sensor is now "curved" to wrap around the lower fork. It uses double sided tape which I dont really like. They stopped making the "flat" sensor that would screw into the caliper, so its down to these 2 sensor styles.

And yes on the billet cap. PO said he lost the gas cap somehow :doh: HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!?

Regarding the light switch, I think the OEM part is around $37? There must be a 12V switch on fl-ebay you could get cheap??
Last edited by TwistedRoot on 10:35 am Jul 12 2019, edited 1 time in total.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

GATOROC wrote: 09:13 am Jul 12 2019
TwistedRoot wrote: 09:31 am Jul 11 2019
TR - I love those handguards - they look beefy! I also like the TrailTech and will probably ping you later to get the specifics on it and how you mounted/wired it.
They are super beefy. I really like them. Was looking for something newer to replace the older ones I had on. Like I said these were approx $30 more than the others but I like the look and color is a perfect match.

PS- I run the TT to my battery on my other bike, but so far I haven't had any issues with running it off the watch battery. Its 1.5 years so far.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

My OEM light switch quit working so I replaced it with this...

It appears to be the same as the one sold by Trail Tech. I just drilled a little hole in my front number plate to mount it. It's totally waterproof and works great.

I wired my Trail Tech Endurance to the stator since it will run off DC or AC.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Here's a wiring diagram which shows how I wired my Trail Tech. Up under the headlight, tap into the Black wire going to the bulb for negative. Tap into the yellow wire before the connector for the headlight switch for AC positive. Trail Tech recommends a 1 amp inline fuse on the positive.
Trail tech wiring diagram.jpg
Trail tech wiring diagram.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

GATOROC wrote: 09:04 am Jul 12 2019
VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:12 pm Jul 10 2019 For anybody that has removed that, what did you plug the hole on the fork with, seems like you wouldn't want to get dirt or debris in there? Anyhow, looking forward to seeing if there is a difference. Now onto the Forks!
On Vossman's rebuild thread (Page 9) there's some information on how he did it. I used his idea and it works great. I included a few close up pics of the part. Just scroll down about half way - Odometer plug
Sweet! Thank you sir!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

TwistedRoot wrote: 09:19 am Jul 12 2019 Super easy to install. Running off the watch battery now. One thing to remember is if your planning on swapping to USD forks you will need the sensor that will mount to the fork guard. If your using the conventional fork the sensor is now "curved" to wrap around the lower fork. It uses double sided tape which I dont really like. They stopped making the "flat" sensor that would screw into the caliper, so its down to these 2 sensor styles.

And yes on the billet cap. PO said he lost the gas cap somehow :doh: HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!?

Regarding the light switch, I think the OEM part is around $37? There must be a 12V switch on fl-ebay you could get cheap??
Thanks for the info. The trail tech will happen post fork update.

Not sure how you can lose the gas cap either, but sadly not surprised...
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200