2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Post by KDXGarage »

RTV the heck out of it. :-) Craigslist solution. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

New parts (cover, seals and bearing) are gonna cost about $230 if the heat and rubber mallet don’t work. Expensive lesson but it’s just $$ right?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

ericr wrote: 11:46 pm Jan 24 2019 It's like Christmas. Pro-taper, renthal - nice stuff you're putting on that bike. Before you buy more individual gaskets though, I would suggest that you buy gasket kits. It'll save you $$'s
I second this. I was gonna buy a clutch cover gasket for $17. 29 and some change for the whole engine gasket kit. DUH! Lol.

Very nice rebuild. The bike was nice to begin with, it'll be a monster by the time you finish.
I like turtles
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Thanks KDXSully. It’s close.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

I was thinking about the bend. Rather than just heat and rubber mallet, I think I'd try to bolt the cover to a stable plate with the bent portion overhanging the edge of the plate. You could then run bolts in the bent portion to gradually apply downward force as you're heating the area. Am I making sense?
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Yes, that makes sense. I have an old school desk that is flat and pretty sturdy. I will use the old gasket to drill the bolt pattern
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'd go the route of the epoxy repair. I would have no confidence in my ability to precisely bend the hot aluminum. My clutch cover is repaired with JB Weld and has worked well for 4+ years of racing.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Just read your entire thread, excellent info and rebuilding pics.
I’ve done worse things than bending that clutch cover, like forgetting coolant rebuilding a top end lol. Only once tho!
I like the idea of bolting it down an try to counter bend it (bend it past being flat so it will flex back to being flat enough to use gasket & sealant if necessary).
Good luck. And keep up the terrific work your documenting, that bread trick was awesome never would of thought of it unless fixing a faucet!
Restore rather than replace
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Ok, you got me curious. How do you fix a faucet with bread?
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

doakley wrote: 09:24 pm Jun 11 2019 I'd go the route of the epoxy repair. I would have no confidence in my ability to precisely bend the hot aluminum. My clutch cover is repaired with JB Weld and has worked well for 4+ years of racing.
Me too on the JB Weld. I broke my clutch cover, bought a unit off ebay that was warped. I fixed the old clutch cover with JB Weld and it's held up.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Vossman wrote: 09:14 pm May 05 2019 Been trying to find something to plug the odometer cable hole. Found these at Ace Hardware, they fit well. Snap in pretty easy. I did put a little black RTV to help hold it in. These are made by Hillman, 9/16 was the size.
Thanks for the info on these! I picked up one from Ace the other day and like you said - fits perfectly! I thought I was going to keep the odometer for quite a while, but ended up taking it out.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Do you know what those caps are used for? It might help us find them at other vendors.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

If you Google "Hillman 9/16 hole plug" you'll see them from different vendors. The issue I see is that a lot of them sell in bulk. I picked mine up for 59 cents each at Ace Hardware.

ImageHillman 9-16 Hole Plug 1, on Flickr

ImageHillman 9-16 Hole Plug 2 , on Flickr
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

GATOROC wrote: 09:16 am Jun 23 2019 If you Google "Hillman 9/16 hole plug" you'll see them from different vendors. The issue I see is that a lot of them sell in bulk. I picked mine up for 59 cents each at Ace Hardware.

ImageHillman 9-16 Hole Plug 1, on Flickr

ImageHillman 9-16 Hole Plug 2 , on Flickr
Good intel, I think Lowe’s has those. I’ll look later. I think using these speedo gears as a wheel spacer is silly, but whaaaatever. Did you just cut the wire? I’d rather try and unsolder the wires or something so I can put it back on if I need to
I like turtles
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

kdxsully wrote: 10:31 am Jun 23 2019 Good intel, I think Lowe’s has those. I’ll look later. I think using these speedo gears as a wheel spacer is silly, but whaaaatever. Did you just cut the wire? I’d rather try and unsolder the wires or something so I can put it back on if I need to
I'm glad that Vossman provided the part to make this easy. Like he said, pop in the plug and put a little black RTV to help keep it in place and provide a seal.

I'm not quite sure what your saying about "unsoldering the wires". The process is to simply unscrew the screw that holds the odometer cable to the wheel, pull it out, disconnect the odometer cable guide from the fork tube, and disconnect the odometer from the handle bar mount. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do. I bagged all of my parts together so that I can reinstall at a later date if I decide to, which probably won't happen. :wink: I will most likely go with a Voyager or something similar that has a lot more features.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

GATOROC wrote: 11:00 am Jun 23 2019
kdxsully wrote: 10:31 am Jun 23 2019 Good intel, I think Lowe’s has those. I’ll look later. I think using these speedo gears as a wheel spacer is silly, but whaaaatever. Did you just cut the wire? I’d rather try and unsolder the wires or something so I can put it back on if I need to
I'm glad that Vossman provided the part to make this easy. Like he said, pop in the plug and put a little black RTV to help keep it in place and provide a seal.

I'm not quite sure what your saying about "unsoldering the wires". The process is to simply unscrew the screw that holds the odometer cable to the wheel, pull it out, disconnect the odometer cable guide from the fork tube, and disconnect the odometer from the handle bar mount. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do. I bagged all of my parts together so that I can reinstall at a later date if I decide to, which probably won't happen. :wink: I will most likely go with a Voyager or something similar that has a lot more features.
Is there a plug? That wire has to connect to that little computer board in there somehow. It’s been a while since I had mine open. I’m glad it’s as easy as that though.
I like turtles
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Completely mechanical setup. The hub has a screw drive that turns the inner cable that goes to the trip meter.
I just cleaned my hub, put more grease in it and plugged it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxsully, 1989 and newer are mechanical, not like yours.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Dang.

I’m inspired. I’ll figure it out.
I like turtles
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Got around to doing this on my ‘87.

Take it apart, start removing the computer boogers (my magnet fell out of the spinner thing, don’t mind it).
This’ll show you where the wires and stuff are so you won’t break anything. Mine was dirty so I couldn’t see anything at all through the gunk. There’s a plate that sits on top of the wires, you’ll have to unscrew the screw holding it in and take it out first. You can see the hole where the plate was.

Make sure you remove as much boogers as you can, they dissipate the heat you need to melt the solder on the circuit board. Press your iron on the contacts and gently pry up with a flathead at the same time; it’ll take a little bit.

Replace your parts, cap the hole with a 3/8” rubber screw cap. Use a little silicon at the base for added sealing (I didn’t though). Really simple little job for a lot of cosmetic gain.
I like turtles