KIPS rattle

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

KIPS rattle

Post by javjacob »

My 1996 KDX200 has a good KIPS rattle. What parts need to be replaced to fix it? Cant find anything doing a search but there surely has to be something worn to cause the noise.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KIPS rattle

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to take it all apart and check it out before buying any parts or letting us guess at it. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:24 pm Jun 18 2019 You may want to take it all apart and check it out before buying any parts or letting us guess at it. :-)
+1 Service it first and see what condition it is in (it is 23 years old after all). You may never completely get rid of it.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Going to take the top end apart this winter. I'm going to send the cylinder to Millennium for plating and powervalve cleaning. I will have to wait until late fall before I take it apart. Hopefully I can figure out what it is and fix it.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What's keeping you from checking it out now, if you don't mind me asking?
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Just going to wait until riding season is over. The rattle isn't hurting anything so I can live with it until then. I also can't help myself but to go overboard on things so I might end up doing a full frame up rebuild. A frame up rebuild is in the plans actually.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool. Thanks for the reply.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

So this kind brings up a question. Is the rattle just the combustion sound the goes into that resonator box/cover thing on the left side of the cylinder? I never figured out why that thing is needed. Most other dirt bikes don’t have them right?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

When I first got my 220 I figured it had a pretty loud KIPS rattle. I have one of those auto store stethoscopes and decided to probe around. The resonator cover and front cover weren't nearly as loud as putting it near the rear of the cylinder. I wanted the stock 220 piston out for a Wiseco and after I swapped it all the KIPS noise I thought I was hearing was completely gone. It was the piston slapping around in the bore. It was loud at idle and loudest when decelerating at around 2000 rpms. I've seen enough KDX videos and I swear mine sounded just like what others call KIPS rattle. The 220 forces us to swap out the piston but I bet there is a lot of 200's out there long overdue for a piston and rings.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When in doubt, check it out.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

John_S wrote: 12:58 am Jun 25 2019 When I first got my 220 I figured it had a pretty loud KIPS rattle. I have one of those auto store stethoscopes and decided to probe around. The resonator cover and front cover weren't nearly as loud as putting it near the rear of the cylinder. I wanted the stock 220 piston out for a Wiseco and after I swapped it all the KIPS noise I thought I was hearing was completely gone. It was the piston slapping around in the bore. It was loud at idle and loudest when decelerating at around 2000 rpms. I've seen enough KDX videos and I swear mine sounded just like what others call KIPS rattle. The 220 forces us to swap out the piston but I bet there is a lot of 200's out there long overdue for a piston and rings.
John I am with you. I thought my KIPS was loud as heck until I did my top end. I dont notice it nearly as much now and it does not "knock" as it did pre-top end.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

You might be on to something. The guy I bought it from told me he bought it from the original owner and he was told the top end has never been off and he never did it either. I already got a new Wiseco piston and I will be sending it and the cylinder to Millennium for plating when I tear it apart.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200