New User with a lot of work to do

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New User with a lot of work to do

Post by dc2012 »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but a long time reader. I have a 98 KDX200 that I am currently getting maintenanced so it can go back on the trails. It was bought by my uncle, then went to my dad, now i bought it and brought it down here to the Austin,TX area. My uncle was 6'7" and I am 5'4" and 155 So I need to lower it. It doesn't look like you can still buy the Kouba links anymore so I'm going to be making some at my shop. If anyone also needs a set let me know and I'll be happy to look at an making extra set. They will be steel and look like the factory. Any recommendations on center to center length for someone my size? I am also not a big fan of purple so I'm changing out all the purple stuff to black. I'm currently working with swiftkicker to make a kickstand for it that will adjust better to the changes in height. So with all that being said this forum has been invaluable. The bike has been jetted for 40:1. Its still a bit rich. I'm wondering if it needs that gasket replaced under the security screws. Anyway, anyone know a good place to buy jets? Also, any recommendations for brake fluid? I don't think its ever been changed. Any riders in central Texas? I know I threw a lot in the post. Thanks for suggestions or help!

DC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New User with a lot of work to do

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Congratulations on the KDX!

jetsrus or sudco sell jets

If normal car brake fluid does not work for you, then go to the fancy motorcycle fluid. I might try DOT 4 instead of 3, though.

Good luck on the work. Enjoy the riding.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. If it idles and the air screw makes a difference when adjusting it then the jet block gasket is likely fine. Stock jetting is very rich, so no surprise that at 40:1 it's still rich. Run through the jetting guide and you'll get it dialed in pretty quickly. For lowering links you can usually find the Koubas on ebay or even on here from time to time. The stock links are 112.5mm center-center on the holes. I don't remember the exact but something like 12 mm in link length equates to 35mm in lowering. There is a limit to how much you can lower, and you have to make adjustments on the front end by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps to keep the geometry in the ballpark. DOT4 fluid works good, if its bad you may have to flush really well first.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what jets and needle position you are currently running it would be hard to tell what is going on. I run the factory suggested 32:1 and had to go down to a 155 main, 52 pilot, stock needle clip position and about 2 turns out on the air screw. It still runs a little rich, but I am ok it with it based on where and what I generally ride. There is a great jetting database for KDXs on Thumper Talk that was helpful in giving me direction when I got the bike. Not always a fan of that forum, but it is still dirt bike related so I find the the good in it haha.

Can't really help you with info about lowering the bike as I am 6'2" s the KDX seems smaller to me.

For brake fluid DOT4 works great. I agree with Bufftester, just flush it and start from new.

Bought my jets from Jetsrus as KDXGarage suggested. I went with the "factory" ones that were a little more expensive instead of the generic ones.

After you transition the bike to black plastics; if you have any purple items you may want to sell, let me know!?

Enjoy!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Congratulations on upgrading from a lurker to a contributor! It's fulfilling.
I like turtles
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dc2012 »

Hey guys,

Quick update on this. I have finished everything, including the swiftkicker kickstand. I made 5 extra heads for swiftkicker so If any of you are interested give them a call. They seem like great people. That being said, after a lot of elbow grease the thing is running like a champ!
Taking it to the woods in a few weeks. Anyone in central texas that likes to ride?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Put up some pics of your swiftkicker setup, kickstands are getting harder to find for these bikes and others will appreciate the info.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What's a "swift kicker"? Do you have pictures of it?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Swift Kicker

Basically a stand with adjustable reach. Although for the price you can get a Trail Tech or PMB for less, or even 2 complete OEM ones. Still, a slick looking part.
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dc2012 »

I just saw this post, Been a busy few months. Here is a pic of the bike. I need to redo the seat cover, but outside of that it's ready to ride.