2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Post by Vossman »

Power valve back in
Pretty sure I got these right. KIPS valve open then closed.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Looks nice and fresh!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Motors done! I just put the top on and torqued it down. Frame was painted this weekend so it’s time to start construction. Got linkage and swingarm seals coming tomorrow, should have most of the rear end together this weekend. Gonna paint the forks this weekend too. I gotta admit, the ColorRite paint is the bomb. Matches perfect.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool! Post up some more pics as you get further along.

I am glad the paint worked well for you!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Motors in, bolts need to be tightened. Cases turned out to match better than I thought. Big blue 450FX in the background and my black cat Linus.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Just wanted to add that the manual states the order the bolts should be tightened in. Pretty amazing how it answers most every question I have. I’m hoping they had smart people write the manual knowing the questions smart people would ask and not the other way around.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How much did the new frame cost you? :mrgreen: :grin:

The paint looks great! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Coming together very nicely!
'00 KDX 220R
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Looks great. Good job!
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Got the plumbing on. Front end should be done this weekend, never got around to painting the forks. Waiting on RBDesigns to get back to me so I can order a new carb.
I’m not gonna put the ROX handlebar risers on yet. Gonna try the CR High Bend bars first.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Just a couple more pics. Got the wiring and the air box put in. Need to get some aluminum anti-seize for the swingarm accessory bolts. I was told to thread-lock the side stand bolts in good.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Starting to look more like a KDX now.
Little setback today. I bought a high quality RK X-ring chain from RMATV/MC and it’s quite a bit wider than the stock chain. It’s .925 vs .695. I figured it would be a bit wider but it sits really close to the case on the sprocket. The Renthal sprocket measured out universal so it’s even on both sides. I’m not comfortable running it this close. I’m gonna have to call and see if I can beg for a return.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

oh hell no

try to return it
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Ya, I’m gonna try but I think I may have to eat this one cause I bought it back in Jan when I was stocking up on parts and although the box is still good the sealed bags are opened and their policy says that’s a big no.
I think I will have to get the DID Narrow X-Ring. I read it measures about .725 across so that would be much better. I think that’s the chain Ericr has on his rebuilds. Maybe he can confirm it.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Been trying to find something to plug the odometer cable hole. Found these at Ace Hardware, they fit well. Snap in pretty easy. I did put a little black RTV to help hold it in. These are made by Hillman, 9/16 was the size.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Vossman wrote: 08:40 pm May 05 2019 Ya, I’m gonna try but I think I may have to eat this one cause I bought it back in Jan when I was stocking up on parts and although the box is still good the sealed bags are opened and their policy says that’s a big no.
I think I will have to get the DID Narrow X-Ring. I read it measures about .725 across so that would be much better. I think that’s the chain Ericr has on his rebuilds. Maybe he can confirm it.
I bought the Primary Drive x-ring chain from Rocky Mtn. It fits fine for me but I did install a Fredette chain guide. It seems to be a good chain - after 40 hours, I've had zero stretch.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the tips on the odo plug and chain.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

RMATV/MC politely said “No” to my request for a return of the chain. They said it was opened and they didn’t recommend the product. Had they recommended it for me they would have returned it no problems. That is their return policy. I give them credit for sticking to their policy. Still a little bummed I have to eat the $100. I’ll get over it.

Anyone want to buy an RK X-Ring 520 110 link chain unused? I’ll make you a deal!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

ericr wrote: 10:26 pm May 05 2019
Vossman wrote: 08:40 pm May 05 2019 Ya, I’m gonna try but I think I may have to eat this one cause I bought it back in Jan when I was stocking up on parts and although the box is still good the sealed bags are opened and their policy says that’s a big no.
I bought the Primary Drive x-ring chain from Rocky Mtn. It fits fine for me but I did install a Fredette chain guide. It seems to be a good chain - after 40 hours, I've had zero stretch.
Ericr, if you can take a second and look is your clearance near the case as close as mine? Thanks.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

I forgot to mention that I've had very good experiences with Rocky Mtn when I need to return an item. Send an email with your order number, description of the problem, and a photo, or better yet, a link to this page. Don't call - the phone reps don't have the authority to be flexible in their response.

If the chain was listed with the parts that fit your "Machine Profile", and doesn't fit properly, they will refund your money and pay for return shipping. It happened to me a couple of times, including a Tusk carb idle screw that was listed but didn't fit. I first talked with a rep and she said I'd have to pay to return it even though it didn't fit. After sending an email, they said to just keep it and they'd refund my money. Give it a try.