What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Got questions? We got answers....
robkdx

What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Post by robkdx »

Mucked about with my 200 carb, kinda sick of it.

The Lectron seems simple once its on.

Thoughts?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Post by G22inSC »

I have no first hand experience with them but I do like them. I think they are generally well liked but they are expensive and the fitment on a KDX is questionable. I know it's been done but I believe a few people have had a time getting it to fit. Hopefully you will get some responses from someone that has put one in a KDX.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

You should search this on this site. Or just hope third GenX I chimes in. Definately a better mousetrap!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I absolutely LOVE mine! :grin: :supz: It is indeed a tight fit, and they can't ever seem to send the right length throttle cable. But if you don't mind working out a few very minor odds and ends, the carb itself is fantastic and absolutely worth it. It will get rid of any and all carb/jetting problems. No bogs, no lags, no loading up, no clearing out, no fouled plugs.... just instant crisp on demand power, anywhere you need it. I know they're pricey but I promise you won't regret it
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

As a Lectron owner, though not on a KDX, I will say they are nice. Haven't seen the fuel mileage claims pan out but not having to mess with the jetting once dialed in is worth it. Just be aware that it does smooth out the power delivery. Some consider that a plus and some a negative.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I absolutely love mine as well! As thirdgenlxi mentioned, there are some minor issues to work out with fitment and the throttle cable. I cursed at the fitment till I got it good and eventually ordered a new throttle cable because I am picky. I think I only adjusted the idle once it was on. Throttle response is perfect, revs clean to the top, runs awesome, I cant say enough good things. I haven't checked the mileage difference with numbers, but I can notice a tank o fuel lasts considerably longer. I should also say that I messed with the carb on mine for 2 years, messed with every possible thing and replaced every possible piece in it... never could get it right. I'm no jetting expert, so I gave up. If you are in a similar boat and don't mind spending the money, you won't regret it.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

Installed the Lectron on my 06 200 last week and could not get the carb settled upright. It leans outward about 20 degrees. There was a small section on the lid/cover which had been shaved off by the guys at Lectron (made no difference toward fitment). Took it out for about a 5-mile road ride after installation; I'll be turning the power jet a little to the left as the instructions read (just a bit flat feeling on top during WOT). I'll try to figure out how to upload a pic of the fitment for everyone (files are all too large on phone).
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

New Lectron user chiming in. Just got it installed on the bike last night, and just rode it around the neighborhood this morning. Tried not to chew up the turf too much .. ::heh::

As reported from other KDX users (like MichiganMotoMan on youtube) there is this increased tendency for the front to want to come up when you're klutzy with throttle application. Also, it idles lower and more smoothly, there's less smoke, and you can keep it at low revs longer without bogging or loading.

Next week I hope to get out to the woods and do a proper review of the carb. Should be interesting to see how it does on hillclimbs and trails and all the other places where I usually ride. Video review to follow.
99 KDX220R w/RB Designs head, Lectron 36HV carb, FMF Fatty + ?Turbincore
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Suzy America wrote: 01:22 pm Apr 20 2019 New Lectron user chiming in. Just got it installed on the bike last night, and just rode it around the neighborhood this morning. Tried not to chew up the turf too much .. ::heh::

As reported from other KDX users (like MichiganMotoMan on youtube) there is this increased tendency for the front to want to come up when you're klutzy with throttle application. Also, it idles lower and more smoothly, there's less smoke, and you can keep it at low revs longer without bogging or loading.

Next week I hope to get out to the woods and do a proper review of the carb. Should be interesting to see how it does on hillclimbs and trails and all the other places where I usually ride. Video review to follow.
Very cool, sounds like it’s working well.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I'd like one but need to get my suspension done first! I've heard lots of good about them on a variety of bikes.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

Finally got some saddle time in the woods yesterday with the new carb on. Loved it! Crazy smooth power down low, absolutely screaming up top, and smooth in between. You can feel it when the 2nd metering rod goes active. Fresh video:
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Suzy America wrote: 12:58 pm Apr 25 2019 Finally got some saddle time in the woods yesterday with the new carb on. Loved it! Crazy smooth power down low, absolutely screaming up top, and smooth in between. You can feel it when the 2nd metering rod goes active. Fresh video:
Once again, WOW. Cool video. Not sure if I am actually hearing that the carb is giving your bike a unique sound or that I am listening too intently.
It certainly sounds good. No bog,no hesitation,no nothing but clean,crisp,clear response.

thank you for taking the time to ride and post it. I get some stitches out of my back in a week but in the meantime a well known entity is going to help me to correct my carb issues. I am anxious to listen intently to my bike. I am betting that the sounds will be distinctly different. The Lectron carb seems to have it wrapped up. Kudos. It appears as if your choice was indeed wise.
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

Thanks. I will post another video where you can hear it at WOT going up some of those forest road hills in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Between that and the RB Designs head mod it's feeling more and more like that ACME rocket that Wiley Coyote uses.
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

OK guys here's some WOT audio from the other day. Right around 0:27 is where it's getting really wound up in 4th gear. Err, does anything sound weird? I'm a 2T newbie and have no clue. It got about 20mpg overall for the day.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Sounds just fine to me.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Not hardly. It sounds really strong and crisp and desiring to bust loose as in the song "I feel like busting loose" during the disco era. Yeah I was around during that time. There is very smooth throttle response while sounding as if there is more than enough throttle to go.

It sounds so good that I've been researching Lectron carbs. A bit pricey but probably well worth it. You may recognize the vacuum type sound when a riding lawnmower that is well tuned,stout,and with sharp blades makes when running? I do. The high end zero turns especially. I parallel the lectron carb 2T sound to that. Chomping at the bit to get to work-
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Playing devils advocate here, but am I the only one who thinks the Lectron is a waste of money? $500 buys a LOT of jets, and I’ve got my RB modded carb running just as well than any other two stroke I’ve ridden with the Lectron. It still requires adjustment to set it up initially, so I fail to see the big advantage here. I ride from 4000’-6500’ and with the RB modded air screw, I’m easily able to make fine adjustments as altitude increases. I’ve found the SSS and, it’ll do everything from tractor to wail.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think that on a couple of occasions, people have gone from worn out "carburetor A" to brand new "carburetor B", then they love carburetor B and poo-poo on carburetor A.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

im partial to the PWK A/S carbs on most applications. even my wife's stroker blaster. they give good throttle response and smooth out the transition hit of the 2-stroke powerband (well as much as a carb can, most of that is porting and pipe) i would assume any year KDX would be a good choice for an airstryker.

i have tuned many a mikuni, and a couple lectrons, i still like the PWK A/S overall. i would actually use a lectron if i was building a dune bike or a drag bike, that seems to be the opposite of what a KDX is though.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Well, I finally made the decision to order a Lectron and it should arrive by the end of this week or early next week. After hearing the positive reviews from those that use it, I look forward to seeing the changes it makes to my bike. Some folks have it easier and are able to live/ride in areas where their elevation changes are only a couple thousand feet. Living in Colorado Springs at 6k', I will be riding at elevations from 4k' in Moab, up to 13k' feet in the Rockies, so it will be nice not having to do any jetting changes. Thanks to all on the forum who have provided their experiences with the Lectron - it just made my decision easier. :grin:
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition