Kdx220 stops increasing rpm at 1/2 throttle - kips issue

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
tmosely1

Re: Kdx220 stops increasing rpm at 1/2 throttle - kips issue

Post by tmosely1 »

Two things I noticed... The rod is slightly bent... And the arm on the actuator for the governor is not rigid. There's 5 -10 degrees of movement. Is the movement normal? Or is that supposed to be rigid?
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3081 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3081 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 3081 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, if replated check your KIPS valve bores and clean them up, but I don't see anywhere where you mention replating. The OEM washers are 1.0 mm thick each so yours look to be correct. How are you actuating the KIPS valves? by hand? motor running? If by hand do you have the pawl arm unbolted from the actuator shaft?
That shaft should not be bent, may be causing some drag on the opening and closing, and the pin should definitely NOT be loose. I think you are looking in the wrong place. The KIPS valve is opened and closed by the governor in the right case half, if it's not returning something is wrong with the governor. Regardless, a fully open KIPS valve wouldn't keep you from going over half throttle...2 different issues.
tmosely1

Post by tmosely1 »

bufftester wrote: 05:13 pm Apr 15 2019 Yes, if replated check your KIPS valve bores and clean them up, but I don't see anywhere where you mention replating. The OEM washers are 1.0 mm thick each so yours look to be correct. How are you actuating the KIPS valves? by hand? motor running? If by hand do you have the pawl arm unbolted from the actuator shaft?
That shaft should not be bent, may be causing some drag on the opening and closing, and the pin should definitely NOT be loose. I think you are looking in the wrong place. The KIPS valve is opened and closed by the governor in the right case half, if it's not returning something is wrong with the governor. Regardless, a fully open KIPS valve wouldn't keep you from going over half throttle...2 different issues.
No replate.. It measured in spec with a new set of rings and a new piston. The shaft was definitely bent and trying to straighten it was unsuccessful.. So I have a new shaft, arm, and base gasket on order that will be here Thursday. The govener is checked, straight, an freely moving. I believe with this shaft bent, it was multiplying the force required to move the valve.
I promise you guys that kips valve is glass smooth until we start applying pressure with the check ball and the force to move it is easily described as significantly increased. Possibly the previous owner lost the spring, or the ball was replaced and not correct. I'm going to work with what I have by adding a washer and observing the inspection port to confirm operation is better. If it is, I'm going to order some different springs and experiment.
I also watched the video where the gentleman talks about comparing a knock off carb to a sudoco. At the end of that video, he does a needle drop into the jet block test and talks about that depth equating to the clearance in the jet block. If his assumption is correct and that you can determine the wear on the bore, then my carb is toast. I have an email into mike at jetsrus about a replacement.
tmosely1

Post by tmosely1 »

Closer inspection on that arm.... Guessing the crack is not oem
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3062 times
tmosely1

Post by tmosely1 »

im confident I'm at least 1/2 way to the problem
Omerojuniorv

Post by Omerojuniorv »

Well what was the problem mine does the same, with fresh full engine rebuild, but i think mine is just rich because i went from normal oil ratio to 50:1 dominator and if you hold the throttle long enough open it will catch the powerband but i am still annoyed by it not working good it idles great though and drives like a 4 stroke great too
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That crack is what you see right before that pin breaks off and can cause damage in the bottom end, good you caught it.

Omero, If you changed your oil ratio you HAVE to change your jetting...plain and simple. Any changes to the intake/exhaust streams (i.e. different octanes, different oil ratio, different oil manufacturer, different reeds, etc, etc) requires a rejet to reach full performance. Your description sounds like a rich fuel micture problem (you now have less oil and more gas per charge by volume).
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think the detent ball was Kawasaki's way of trying to eliminate the much talked about KIPS rattle. As we all know, it didn't work! From personal experience I can tell you that it won't hurt the bike to run without it if that's what is holding the KIPS in the open position. However, checking the smoothness of where the valves and the other components ride is a good idea. After having my cylinder replated I had to do a little clean up work so my valves would operate smoothly.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R