Anyone able to explain

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Scottkdx1980

Anyone able to explain

Post by Scottkdx1980 »

This has been a project of mine for awhile I have had numerous questions asked and answered throughout this process. I currently have motor rebuilt swingarm and linkage rebuilt spoke skins seat cover changed new clutch cable. I’m waiting to find out if the left power valve from the Netherlands 🇳🇱 I ordered will show up but has anyone ever replaced front break pads and can not get it reinstalled idk if I’m doing something wrong but that has me stumped. As well can someone explain why my shock covers have went like this they are new shock boots that I replaced and only recently noticed the boots have gone funny but they never did look like it
Attachments
B4AA3D0C-4822-40C9-A092-F9522484C112.jpeg
B4AA3D0C-4822-40C9-A092-F9522484C112.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2667 times
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone able to explain

Post by John_S »

I bought some new boots for mine that were doing that but not to that extreme. It was vacuum that was creating it on mine. I made a few slices with a razor which I didn't want to do but it took care of it. I sliced on the back side of the boot and in the crease, about a 1/2". you couldn't see the cuts and it wasn't letting dirt in.

Edit: I reread it and it sounds like you haven't rode it yet with the boots. That's unusual as mine would only happen after the forks had been pumping up and down creating the vacuum. They had holes on the bottom but it obviously wasn't enough air coming out.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Used to have that problem with the old KDX forks and it was because the boot had gotten a crease in it somehow and when the forks worked up and down they would end up like that. Doesn't affect them doing their job so I never worried about it.

As for the brake pads. You pull the caliper off and remove the old ones. Open the reservoir cover on the handlebars and use a C-clamp to gently compress the piston back into the bore. Place the new pad on, reinstall the caliper, top off the break fluid and reinstall the cover. What issue are you having?
Scottkdx1980

Post by Scottkdx1980 »

Issue I’m having is the thickness off the new pads I can not get it over rotor as it should be to tight of a fit
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Sounds like you need to press the piston in all the way. It is easier with the cap off the reservoir.
Scottkdx1980

Post by Scottkdx1980 »

There is no line added to caliber but I sprayed everything with lube except pads obviously and I have piston pushed in as far as I believe it goes
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

the piston should go all the way into the bore and end with the top of it flush with the caliper body. Throw up some pictures if you get a chance so we can see what's going on.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

full editor
attachments
add files
choose the file, then
place inline
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128