2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2004 KDX 200 Rebuild

Post by TwistedRoot »

My cylinder was done the following week and I just got it back from PowerSeal. Little bit over 3 weeks. Im happy with what they did and what I paid. Customer service was great too. Heres a pic for you kawi-nuts. Stoked to have an almost new engine soon!
Attachments
IMG_0604A.jpg
IMG_0604A.jpg (486.87 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HECK YEAH!!! That looks awesome. Donn't forget all the cleaning steps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

I was gonna ask tomorrow if you heard anything. Keep us posted on your progress and we demand a video of the first start.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Sounds good. I plan on doing the threads, (another wash/blow), studs, KIPS and piston prep Saturday. Should be fun!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

I assembled my KIPS last night after I got the drain plug in and then did the studs. Will most likely put the cylinder on tonite after work. One thing I wanted to mention is that my KIPS upon reassembly seemed to be a little tight and needed some working of the rod to loosen it up. I used new seals and I know I used enough 2S oil to lube the parts. It seemed a little easier to turn this morning. I was just wondering how easy the main shaft should turn? I remember when I pulled it out it was not so easy either although it was pretty gunked up. Also, I dont think I have ever had the o-ring that goes between the rubber carb boot and the reed cage. It is not listed on the RMATV oem parts site. Does anyone know if this oring exists?
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

TwistedRoot wrote: 08:50 am Mar 12 2019 I assembled my KIPS last night after I got the drain plug in and then did the studs. Will most likely put the cylinder on tonite after work. One thing I wanted to mention is that my KIPS upon reassembly seemed to be a little tight and needed some working of the rod to loosen it up. I used new seals and I know I used enough 2S oil to lube the parts. It seemed a little easier to turn this morning. I was just wondering how easy the main shaft should turn? I remember when I pulled it out it was not so easy either although it was pretty gunked up. Also, I dont think I have ever had the o-ring that goes between the rubber carb boot and the reed cage. It is not listed on the RMATV oem parts site. Does anyone know if this oring exists?

You know the right side shaft that has the small oring? I've seen someone on here comment that they had to run a scotchbrite pad through the bore where that shaft sits (after a replate) before the kips would move freely. It had something to do with the whole cylinder being etched before the replate and the oring not sliding through easily. It may have been an isloated case. Considering the governor shaft has enough "oomph" to get the main shaft turning through the resistance of the ball detent and spring (on the bottom of the slotted cover section) I wouldn't worry about it unless you're finding it tough to turn by hand. Maybe take out the ball and spring to test. Without those you should be able to grab the fixed gear on the main shaft and spin it back and forth with no resistance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do check for overplating. I talked with a guy about a decade ago that had some that kept his KIPS from working right.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

The o-ring shape is just molded into the rubber boot. Mine leaked air during the leak down test. I had to apply sealant to stop the air leak.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Cool stuff. No motor progress for me to report.
I thought I made suspension progress over the weekend but when I got the forks together I realized I missed the large washer between the bushing and seal. Rebuilding them tonight.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Thanks guys. All good things to consider. I think Im ok with how it feels. At first I thought it felt stiff but it seems easier to move now that the oil has worked its way around. It wont "spin" easily, but I don't think its meant to. The seals were not hard to push in, but they didn't fall in either. As per the manual I did grease them. It prob would be a good idea to run a scotchbrite pad to clean that area up before installing. You hear that Vossman? Lol.

ericr: I have some gasket sealant that I will use in that rubber intake. Im not surprised you had a leak there.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Vossman wrote: 05:55 pm Mar 12 2019 Cool stuff. No motor progress for me to report.
I thought I made suspension progress over the weekend but when I got the forks together I realized I missed the large washer between the bushing and seal. Rebuilding them tonight.
OOPS!

Pour boiling water over the seal holding area to make it easier to separate the tubes.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

That trick worked well, thanks. Came out pretty easy.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Great!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Made progress today. Bearings and seals are in the cases, rebuilt crank was supposed to be back yesterday but got delayed due to our “bomb cyclone” snowstorm that jacked us up for two days. Front forks are done too. I learned a lot doing those. Pics soon.

Do the crank and output shaft bearings seat flush against the case side or deeper? I don’t have press or anything wide enough to cover the whole bearing to hammer or pull it in. I got them flush but do they need to go deeper?
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Oh, I tried the heat and freeze method but they didn’t quite drop in 100%. Took a good push then a few taps with a rubber mallet.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I've always used a press to install crank bearings. They are more flush, not deeper. You will know when you assemble your bottom end if they are installed deep enough.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Im finally up and running. Did 3 heat cycles. Did a short 20 minute ride. Bike feels great! Much more responsive on the bottom end for sure. Was a little nervous about the rings, (should have used 2 fat zip ties to hold them in place when installing cylinder) but so far its running perfect. While I was waiting for the cylinder to come back from PowerSeal, I installed inline fuel filter, hour meter, new air filter, magnetic oil drain bolt, new TAG rear sprocket 48t, new WPS HD chain, rebuilt chain guide, polished up snails, sharpened footpegs, fresh brake fluid, and a new front Kenda Millville tire. BRAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!

Quick note to all the KDX Rider.net guys who answered all my PM's and helped me get this job done! THANK YOU! :mrgreen:
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Great thread! Looking forward to seeing this KDX come together. Once I get a garage, a tear down and rebuild will be my first measure of order. Want to learn the ins and outs the bike.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

TwistedRoot I think I speak for the board when I say “we want pics!”
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net