A few pics/video from the last 2 races of the year

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

A few pics/video from the last 2 races of the year

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Well I haven't posted up a whole lot throughout the year cuz I didn't want to annoy the crap out of everybody with tons of posts, hahah..... But I actually did the entire NCHSA race series this year, along with a few Mideast races and some enduros as well. I did a good number of races last year too, but I just kinda cherry picked ones I did and didn't want to do. At the start of this year, I decided I was just gonna pick a series (NCHSA and Mideast are the 2 main ones in this area, I ended up picking NCHSA), and do the entire series, start to finish, every race regardless of track or weather conditions or anything, and just take whatever got thrown at me, do it and finish each one. Didn't really care where I finished, I just wanted to complete the entire series without getting myself mangled up, ride at new places, have fun, and hopefully improve my skills and get a little faster along the way. The season is now over, and I ended up doing 14 of the 15 NCHSA races, 6 Mideast races, 3 enduros (Sandlapper, NEPG Cherokee National, and Bootlegger), and 1 organized dual sport ride. So 23 races total. The only reason I missed the one NCHSA race was because the weather has not cooperated at all the entire year, and both that race and the Cherokee National Enduro both got postponed and rescheduled.... to the exact same day. So I had to pick one, and I was already signed up and paid for the enduro, so I went to that

Anyways.... a few pics.... first is from the last Mideast race of the season, at the Hickory Airport on Nov 11th. This is a small (but really fun) track, and it's a local race, plus the last one of the year, which means it's paaccckkeeeddd. Last year I ran the open class in the back and we had 56 bikes in my class..... it was a mess, lol. Also if anybody remembers my video from last year where I passed 21 bikes in less than a minute on a muddy rooty uphill.... this was the same place. But we were running it backwards this year. Running Vet C this year though so it's a few less people in my class, but this particular race it was still a full class. My main thing lately that I've been trying to work on is standing up more.... still not 100% with it but I'm working on it for sure

ImageFB_IMG_1542125274481 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125338072 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125292307 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125332750 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

It was a greasy, slippery mess here, lol

ImageFB_IMG_1542125266168 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125258984 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Not me here, but there was another KDX out there too.... I think he was in the back row

ImageFB_IMG_1541996336201 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542084243874 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125344113 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125403776 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

This was a slippery rock uphill in a right hand turn that a lot of people where sliding out on

ImageFB_IMG_1542125411229 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125324306 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125319282 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125308840 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1542125297988 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Full lap video..... though I doubt anybody wants to watch my slow ass riding for 29 mins, lol..... but feel free to poke around in it if you feel so inclined. Fair warning.... I'm not fast, it's nothing too exciting. Most of the muddy/more technical stuff is in the first 2 miles. And if you've never ridden on this wet red clay before.... you don't know slick, lol

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/HIYBlMu-TxY[/youtube]

Then the next one was the final NCHSA race for the year, Lost Valley on Nov 18th, which was yet another reschedule from a previously postponed race (this series is pretty quick to call a race if the weather is bad). I'm able to ride at this place from time to time even during non-races, so I was already kinda familiar with it, but he does change it around some too. Always a fun track, and def some gnarly stuff there. Much like the airport race above, it was a cold night the night before (25 deg), but warmed up nicely during the day.... getting the ol' girl ready to roll!

Image1118181440_HDR by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

My buddy Dustin (standing next to my bike) came out to watch..... he just got back into dirtbikes and riding after a 10 year break, he just bought an '09 YZ-250f. He's planning on doing some races next year after he gets a little seat time in. We had a pretty full class here once again!

Image1118181453_HDR by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Image2018 NCHSA Lost Valley II 3 o'clock - 243 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Not many pics from this one..... Lisa the picture lady wasn't feeling well so she didn't venture too far out into the woods this time

Image2018 NCHSA Lost Valley II 3 o'clock - 621 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

It looks brighter in the pic than it was, but I had to turn my headlight on halfway through the last lap.... deep in the woods it was getting dark! Race time for this org is 3:00 but they never start on time, and with it getting dark early this time of year..... it was nearly 5:00 when we finished, lol

Image2018 NCHSA Lost Valley II 3 o'clock - 1052 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Image2018 NCHSA Lost Valley II 3 o'clock - 1054 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Had an absolutely beautiful sky to bring an end to the last race for the year..... phone pic does it no justice, it was awesome

Image1118181726_HDR by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Video..... only a very short clip from this one. I have the whole race but haven't gone through it yet other than this little part. But it's a good example of the KDX working it's magic at a steep bottleneck in the first part, then the 2nd she didn't hesitate going an alternate line to avoid a downed rider right in front of me.... can't see it under all the leaves but it's super rocky under there, would have been a baaaddd place for me to stop, lol. KDX isn't about that stuck life! hahah

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/EAtglWoIzbk[/youtube]

Screenshot from the first part of the above video..... #61 on the right is a guy I work with.... that's a brand new 2019 KTM 300 TPI. I had to give him crap when we got back to work, since he's always the one giving me a hard time about my bike.... "you need to get off that KDX..... you need some more power..... you need a new KTM.....blah blah". He was the one that yelled "tractor!" at me when I passed, lol

ImageScreenshot_2018-11-18-19-33-12 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

And for final year end results..... I ended up finishing the year 4th in points in my class (Vet C 35+), which I can honestly say I'm quite happy with. Even though compared to the rest that did the entire year, I'm still towards the back of the pack, but there were also a good handful that didn't even make it to the end and complete the whole series. The 1 and 2 guys (which are buddies) are just stupid fast..... they need to go to B class, they're running consistent B times and speed, and have won almost every race the entire year, lol. Lots of great riders in this class for sure.... it was a tough stacked class all year. I've still got LOTS of things to work on to try and get better, but I completed the entire series, had a blast doing it, and feel like I did learn some new stuff and improve a little, all of which were really my only goals to begin with :)

ImageScreenshot_2018-11-25-21-13-50 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr

Oh and the KDX performed absolutely flawless the entire year..... literally, not even so much as a hiccup. From Feb to Nov, in temps from 30's to 100, it started first kick every time, ran like a swiss watch, and never once let me down or even batted an eye. 23 races and I started each one, on time, and finished every single one.... zero DNF's from any of the harescrambles. I did quit one of the enduros half way through cuz I had overdone it a little doing the dual sport ride the day before, and the never ending sand whoops were beating me up pretty bad, so I voluntarily threw in the towel on that one. I'm probably on the oldest and highest hour/mileage bike out there at any given race, and I've passed a lot of broken down bikes on the sides of the trail, but never been one of them.... gotta love a KDX! No broken bikes, no broken bones.... I'd say it was a good year :grin: :supz: :boogie:
Last edited by thirdgenlxi on 03:14 am Nov 29 2018, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: A few pics/video from the last 2 races of the year

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW!! Congratulations on doing the whole series, PLUS getting in the other races as well! That is awesome!

I do remember your video of you passing so many people all at once last year.

You had an incredible year. Thank you for doing it, and thank you for sharing it with us.

The first video is not linked or shown. I just see a big gap in the text of your post.

How do they score each event? Is it 55 points for a win, 54 for second, and so on??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HELL YEAH on that second video. Tractor indeed.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:10 am Nov 29 2018 WOW!! Congratulations on doing the whole series, PLUS getting in the other races as well! That is awesome!

I do remember your video of you passing so many people all at once last year.

You had an incredible year. Thank you for doing it, and thank you for sharing it with us.

The first video is not linked or shown. I just see a big gap in the text of your post.

How do they score each event? Is it 55 points for a win, 54 for second, and so on??
Thanks! I edited it now so should work.... I can't for the life of me to get videos to embed, I've tried every combination of things I can think of to do and they just won't do it. So I just put the links instead, lol

For scoring.... I "think" that's how they do it. I could be a little off but that's been my understanding. It was my first year running a points class so I'm still kinda figuring it all out myself, hahah
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I edited your post to include the videos. I also deleted a few of our posts talking about how embedding was not working.

I am not sure what is going on with the new software. Here's what I did to get them to "embed".

I clicked on the video and clicked on COPY EMBED CODE. I came back here and clicked on YOUTUBE in the "Full Editor & Preview" section. I pasted the embed code. After that, I trimmed out all the non-address portions such as iframe and size, etc. I will send Julien D a message. He may know what to do.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Awesome! Thanks for doing that!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Yeah I know this post is two years old - but the video is bada$$!!! I had the same experience on my KDX the other weekend in my first HS. Going up a steep greasy hill in tight woods, passing bikes and riders all over the place on their sides, backs, stuck, pinned on trees - wherever! I'm not a great rider and they had all been in front of me so that made it super satisfying. I've learned the KDX will get it done if you can just hang on and not get in it's way!!!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA