Kdx 200 E series crankcase compatibility

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kdx 200 E series crankcase compatibility

Post by Molly's 70 »

Jason wrote:I think there are steel inserts in the aluminum that are bearing holders. It looked like a little rust on that.
It looks that way to me also.

Martin, I want you to find a magnet & check if they are in fact, steel inserts. Aluminum in not magnetic.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Oh! Sorry didnt realiced why you where asking that. It's steel indeed, it has 3 small pieces that goes all the way trough the case you can see them in one of the pictures.
I was thinking on giving it a welding point (probably that's not how it's called in english) where the crack starts so that i dont touch that metal thing.
Im worried it's going to fall off when the case heats up.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Ok, So we know the insert is in fact steel. The insert did not appear to me, to go all the way though the case. It looks like the steel insert is pressed in from the inside of the case. You will definitely want to weld the outside of the case as I stated earlier. If the insert falls out do to heat from welding, you will have to press it back in. Let's get the case welded first, then worry about the insert. It may not fall out.

Aluminum & steel will NOT weld together. It would be like trying to mix oil & water. It just doesn't work. You will see a "greenish" color under the hood if try to weld them, just before everything goes to crap. Ask me how I know.

Just for future reference:
Aluminum corrodes white = aluminum oxide.
steel corrodes orange = iron oxide.
This is what made me think we have 2 different metals involved here.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Awesome! Cant wait to give it a try, need that argon first tho and of course quite a bit of practice.
You are of so much help Molly, thank you.
Dont know when i will be able to get that refill but i will post as soon as i start welding.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I'll be here. Post pictures of your welding samples if you feel comfortable doing so. I will tell you all the tips & tricks I know. Questions & pictures will help me, to help you. I'll be ready when you are.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Hi everyone!

Im really sorry for not replying back in so long after all the help i got. I thought the web was down or something.

I got totally overwhelmed by the amount of things the bike had wrong, went back and forth on the idea of selling it by parts. Finally after reading so many good things about the bike i decided on giving it a shot and repairing it.

The case this post was about got welded by a friend, i feel bad because of the time i made Molly waste on explanaitions. I learned a bunch on the process tho' and the job turned out great!

Summing-up. The bike started for the first time today, so happy. Im so gratefull for all the help i recibed, especially from Molly.

I will make sure to get a decal for the bike with kdxrider.net on it!

Cheers!

Martin.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it going!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Excellent job Martin! I don't feel that I wasted any time. Glad you got it running.