Rich's Taylor'd Porting Service

Got questions? We got answers....
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

This is a Keihin PWK 35 from my '88 KDX. I sent it to Rich to have the Venturi Divider Modification done.
Attachments
carb_2.jpg
carb_2.jpg (280.53 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
carb.jpg
carb.jpg (223.63 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
Timtee

Re: Rich's Taylor'd Porting Service

Post by Timtee »

Yikes!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

WTH? :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

3 wings? I’m trying to understand why?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

jjavaman wrote:3 wings? I’m trying to understand why?
If, and that is a big if, there is a benefit to 3, at least get them spaced out evenly.

It really makes you appreciate the work that RB does. His carb mods belong in an art museum compared to that. The way he integrates the divider into the sides of the carb is perfection. That is probably just JB Weld holding those dividers in place.

Hopefully it didn't cost too much.
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

I'm not one to bash people, maybe his service is an option for older carbs. I must say that the fit and finish looks very very poor. Targetman can you give us any feedback on this mod like cost and your thoughts after you spent some time with it?

Having said that if you are on the fence about getting an RB carb or head mod you better do it now and you better ask him to sign that ****, You will never be able to get one again soon and will be stuck with this garbage
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

FRP not still doing his?

There are several people who can modify a carb, if RB stops doing even new ones.

That looks like a piece that slides in the back, like all those Power Wings from ten years or so ago.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

I don't understand all the negative feedback. It's a carburetor. Plain and simple. When RB gave me the BS about the old carbs falling apart, I had to look elsewhere. RB could have just said he didn't want my business. Rich's mod included more divider plates and they are on both sides. Rich was easy to deal with and he even talks on the phone unlike most people today that only communicate through email or text. I am very happy with the carb and the bike runs great. Check out his site.

http://www.richstaylordporting.com/index.html
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

As long as you are happy with it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

targetman wrote:I don't understand all the negative feedback. It's a carburetor. Plain and simple. When RB gave me the BS about the old carbs falling apart, I had to look elsewhere. RB could have just said he didn't want my business. Rich's mod included more divider plates and they are on both sides. Rich was easy to deal with and he even talks on the phone unlike most people today that only communicate through email or text. I am very happy with the carb and the bike runs great. Check out his site.
The negative feedback is due to the fact there is no evidence that adding more dividers actually helps and, quite possibly, could hurt performance. I would like to know his thinking behind the 3 vs 1 divider? Also, a groove/epoxy setup is not nearly the quality of a precision machined/friction fit one. How well do those wings match up with the slide?

Lastly, I don't think RB gave you any BS. The OEM carbs on our 12+ year old bikes are getting worn out. Yes, they actually do wear out physically. The brass insert that the needle goes through becomes oblong over time and it is a non-replaceable part. We have started to see this more over the last year where members have been having to replace their carbs because no matter what they do the carb just won't work right and it's due to this wearable part. I'm sure RB doesn't want customers getting his work done to their OEM carb, then the carb not working correctly, and thinking it's his work. Just food for thought.

Anyway, with that said, as long as it does what you need and you're happy with it, that's all that matters! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Interesting reasoning for the triple divider plates: http://www.richstaylordporting.com/vintage_Venturi.html

Not sure I agree, but makes ya think :hmm:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Tyl3r wrote:Interesting reasoning for the triple divider plates: http://www.richstaylordporting.com/vintage_Venturi.html

Not sure I agree, but makes ya think :hmm:
I like the picture of the vice grip being used to help hold the carb in place.

I am not smart enough to know if 1, 2, 3 or more dividers really make a difference. But I can tell the difference in the quality of work. Like I said before, RB's divider is a work of art. You can tell that someone has the right equipment and the skills to use that equipment.

Dividers that are unevenly spaced and held in with epoxy doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the theory behind how many and where those dividers are placed.
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

Jason wrote:FRP not still doing his?

There are several people who can modify a carb, if RB stops doing even new ones.

That looks like a piece that slides in the back, like all those Power Wings from ten years or so ago.
Anyone can mod a carb I think this thread is case in point.

I'm no expert by any means but have been getting into hare scrambles and meeting a lot of people who ride the KDX down here and a lot of them have FRP modded bikes. From what I gather Jeff thinks Ron's carb mod is a gimmick and don't care for it.

Soon as I show them them that second sweet spot it's game over :shock:

No one offers what Ron does and it's a service that will soon cease to exist.