2001 KDX 200 Dual Sport/Stator help

Got questions? We got answers....
The Dark Knight

Post by The Dark Knight »

Hello,

I have a 2001 KDX, I would like to make it a dual sport.

I think the Baja Designs is the best bet for a kit, I could be wrong though: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/ds ... -white.asp I would like to upgrade the kit to LED if possible.

Customer support at BD told me that I would need a 90 watt stator for their kit to work and that they could not rewind it to get that much wattage.

I found a stator here that I think would work: http://www.rickystator.com/product/stat ... coil-89-on

Is this what I need?

Thanks for your help

There are trails 1.5 miles away, but I have to use main roads to get there. It would be great to not have to load up the motorcycle to go a mile and a half haha.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2001 KDX 200 Dual Sport/Stator help

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. Have you checked your state laws on registration?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
The Dark Knight

Yes, it should be ok.

I currently have a Vermont plate for it, so if WV won't issue one I have that.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, good.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The Ricky Stator one will work, or you can rewind your own for a lot cheaper and its pretty easy (I have done a couple). The biggest hassle with the light kit conversion is making sure all your lighting grounds don't go to the frame but back to the battery, and it's not that huge a pain.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Not disparaging Baja Designs kit but you can buil a better setup cheaper that works better.

What does your state require as fat as lighting and horn?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

SS109 wrote:Not disparaging Baja Designs kit but you can buil a better setup cheaper that works better.

+1 I pieced together Trail Tech, Acerbis, and some other odds and ends for about $50 less than a BD kit. Nothing wrong with the BD kit, works great and good support if you don't mind spending the extra $.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

bufftester wrote:
SS109 wrote:Not disparaging Baja Designs kit but you can buil a better setup cheaper that works better.

+1 I pieced together Trail Tech, Acerbis, and some other odds and ends for about $50 less than a BD kit. Nothing wrong with the BD kit, works great and good support if you don't mind spending the extra $.
Same here.
Polisport headlight and UFO enduro rear fender. Fender fit perfectly and comes with dual filament tail and stop light.

Keep in mind that a less complicated arrangement without a battery is still an AC system. Some LEDs don't work too good on AC. Same for horn.

For limited use DC power, you can use a small rechargeable 12V battery which powers the DC horn real good. This could also power LED turn signals. I found room for mine inside the air box.

For stop light switches, I am using compact hydraulic switches front and rear. These come with an extra long banjo bolt and 3 crush washers.

Were I to do it again, I would go with a mechanical stop light switch for the rear, and a front brake lever and master cylinder with a built in switch. The H series frames have a C washer welded to the frame which is there to hold a mechanical stop light switch.
The Dark Knight

Looks like I need turn signals, horn, head light and tail light. Odometers aren't required for motorcycles over 10 years old.

I can't find anything on speedometer, but I would assume I need one.

Can you guys give me links to what you consider the best parts? I would really like to have LEDs if possible.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

For a speedometer, Trail Tech is usually a good choice. I have a now obsolete Vector model. Nice thing about my Vector is it works with just about any voltage or phase current, so you can power it using your bike's lighting AC. This is not true for all Trail Tech instruments.

In addition to the Trail Tech, I have the OEM odometer too. I believe my Trail Tech is resettable for mileage, but I don't like pushing buttons to call up a function. With the OEM odometer, I can just turn a knob.

If you have questions about using a Trail Tech, give their tech support a call. I have called them several times and found them to be top notch. They really know their product and will supply knowledgable answers.

Do you have the odometer drive gear box and cable? If yes, you should be able to hook up a mechanical speedometer using this hardware. There are some rather inexpensive speedometers on eBay that should work. If accurate odometer display is important to you, there are ratio adjusting gearboxes available just for this purpose. Back in the time keeping enduro days, all the A riders used these to get their odometers to display accurate mileage traveled.

I can provide more information on these little gearboxes if you're interested.
The Dark Knight

I think there are cooler options than the Baja Designs kit, but I am going to have to research more.

I ordered a new Stator and flywheel puller today.
The Dark Knight

pumpguy wrote:For a speedometer, Trail Tech is usually a good choice. I have a now obsolete Vector model. Nice thing about my Vector is it works with just about any voltage or phase current, so you can power it using your bike's lighting AC. This is not true for all Trail Tech instruments.

In addition to the Trail Tech, I have the OEM odometer too. I believe my Trail Tech is resettable for mileage, but I don't like pushing buttons to call up a function. With the OEM odometer, I can just turn a knob.

If you have questions about using a Trail Tech, give their tech support a call. I have called them several times and found them to be top notch. They really know their product and will supply knowledgable answers.

Do you have the odometer drive gear box and cable? If yes, you should be able to hook up a mechanical speedometer using this hardware. There are some rather inexpensive speedometers on eBay that should work. If accurate odometer display is important to you, there are ratio adjusting gearboxes available just for this purpose. Back in the time keeping enduro days, all the A riders used these to get their odometers to display accurate mileage traveled.

I can provide more information on these little gearboxes if you're interested.
I like the look of those trail techs, I am missing the cable, the orginal odometer and I'm not sure if the gear box works.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

These come up on eBay quite often. Most racer types take theirs off.

To see if your cable drive gearbox works, prop the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. You should be able to see if the little pinion wheel is turning. You could also poke the eraser end of a pencil in the opening and feel if it's turning when you spin the wheel.

These are pretty rugged so should probably be okay.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Another alternative you might want to look into is an electronic bicycle speedometer. Some even resemble Trail Tech units, but are a bit smaller. I've seen them on eBay for around $20 or so.

The basic principle is the same as the Trail Tech; a magnet on the wheel and a sensor on a fork leg. You might have to splice in an extension to the sensor wire to make it a bit longer.
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

The Dark Knight wrote:Hello,

I have a 2001 KDX, I would like to make it a dual sport.

I think the Baja Designs is the best bet for a kit, I could be wrong though: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/ds ... -white.asp I would like to upgrade the kit to LED if possible.

Customer support at BD told me that I would need a 90 watt stator for their kit to work and that they could not rewind it to get that much wattage.

I found a stator here that I think would work: http://www.rickystator.com/product/stat ... coil-89-on

Is this what I need?

Thanks for your help

There are trails 1.5 miles away, but I have to use main roads to get there. It would be great to not have to load up the motorcycle to go a mile and a half haha.
You don't need the stator or a fancy kit imo. I'm running a upgraded headlight and DCR Edge 2 led tail that tucks nicely under the fender with zero issues all lights work even at idle.

You have the same state minimum requirements as me. Headlight, Taillight, Brake light, Tag light, Turn signals, Horn, DOT tires and 1 Mirror. The Speedometer is not required.

These are state requirements are for plating a Dual Sport in your state or for converting a dirt bike to DS in your state that is not road legal.

There is a loophole and a way to bypass all these requirements and get a legal plate for your bike with no inspection. South Dakota allows dirt bikes to be legally plated with no inspections to a out of state address. It cost me $65 to get a legal South Dakota plate for my KDX registered to my out of state home address that I can renew with a phone call every year for $12.XX.

I don't meet the minimum requirements for my state. That's really just for the conversion and inspection if your state allows dirt bikes to be plated. Mine does not and I have been pulled over twice. Once to ask me how I got a out of state plate on my dirt bike to my home address. The police officer wanted to plate his dirt bike that is not allowed to be converted where we live. The other time was for doing a wheelie I was given a warning. He didn't check any of the required equipment but I was asked again how I got out of state plate to my home address lol.

I would not waste the money on the stator or kits.

Here is the thread I read to do it. If you look towards the last few pages someone made a website you can enter your info and it will pre fill out the forms you need to send to South Dakota.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthre ... r-ANY-Bike!
The Dark Knight

That is great info!

I basically did the same thing, but went with the Vermont route.

The bike doesn't have a title, but if I get it WV legal I can transfer the registration and they will issue me a title.

My back up plan was just to ride with the Vermont tags that I currently have.
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

The Dark Knight wrote:That is great info!

I basically did the same thing, but went with the Vermont route.

The bike doesn't have a title, but if I get it WV legal I can transfer the registration and they will issue me a title.

My back up plan was just to ride with the Vermont tags that I currently have.
I used to use the Vermont route as well. I buy and restore old 70’s enduros and 2 stroke stret bikes. 99% of the time they have no titles.

What I didn’t like a about Vermont was the taxes and fees were a lot more. They also stopped letting you plate dirt bikes or even enduros. How you slipped a kdx through I dunno they have not let me plate a factory dual sport that was road legal from the factory since 2014. When I called they said no more on/off road bikes anymore.

After doing some research I stumbled on the South Dakota loop hole. Dirt bikes are allowed to be driven on the street there and the process was so much more simple and cheaper. They will let you plate anything there 4wheeker, golf cart, side by side etc.

As far as transferring into your own state I found that to be easier as well. South Dakota gives you a paper title as well so you don’t have to explain the Vermont transferable registration to the dmv person.

I’m not sure about PA but if you have a out of state paper title in FL they dmv person just walks out and checks to see if the VIN # matches the title. They don’t check lights, horn, dot tires etc.

I have transfer a few into FL with no problems at all. But the more I looked it seems most people who live and travel in RV’s have SD plates as well. I don’t see the need to transfer into my state anymore as it’s perfectly legal as is. Now you will get a lot more attention from the police imo but you’ll get that no matter what I think driving a dirt bike on the street.
The Dark Knight

Boxfresh25 wrote:
I used to use the Vermont route as well. I buy and restore old 70’s enduros and 2 stroke stret bikes. 99% of the time they have no titles.

What I didn’t like a about Vermont was the taxes and fees were a lot more. They also stopped letting you plate dirt bikes or even enduros. How you slipped a kdx through I dunno they have not let me plate a factory dual sport that was road legal from the factory since 2014. When I called they said no more on/off road bikes anymore.

After doing some research I stumbled on the South Dakota loop hole. Dirt bikes are allowed to be driven on the street there and the process was so much more simple and cheaper. They will let you plate anything there 4wheeker, golf cart, side by side etc.

As far as transferring into your own state I found that to be easier as well. South Dakota gives you a paper title as well so you don’t have to explain the Vermont transferable registration to the dmv person.

I’m not sure about PA but if you have a out of state paper title in FL they dmv person just walks out and checks to see if the VIN # matches the title. They don’t check lights, horn, dot tires etc.

I have transfer a few into FL with no problems at all. But the more I looked it seems most people who live and travel in RV’s have SD plates as well. I don’t see the need to transfer into my state anymore as it’s perfectly legal as is. Now you will get a lot more attention from the police imo but you’ll get that no matter what I think driving a dirt bike on the street.

Sounds like I will use South Dakota from now on! That is awesome they issue a title too, that would make the DMV trip a lot easier.

Speaking of 2 stroke street, I have 2 GT750M, I am working on getting them road worthy. I have had them for a couple years and I think I finally might have time to finish them up.
The Dark Knight

Ok, so here is what I am thinking:

this Tusk kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Enduro-Du ... 6554!US!-1

The bike came with a UFO firefly head light with high and low beam (I think).

I am going to try and keep that, just to save some money.

The original rear light is in pretty bad shape, it is missing the seal, burnt out and jiggles a lot, does anyone sell parts to fix that?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Not sure what you mean by "missing the seal".

The shortcomings of the OEM tail light are it's only set up for a single filament bulb, so no stoplight socket or wiring is fitted. Also, the lens does not have a clear portion to illuminate a license plate.

The UFO enduro rear fender's tail light has all of these features, and fits like a glove. That is the route I chose and am very happy with the result.