Oil Injection

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Oil Injection

Post by jstcraig »

I have taken some time and searched the forum for all things oil injection.
There is a consensus that if it ain’t broke don’t fix which I completely agree with but there are more than a few posts that have when the oil injection stopped working.....
So the question I pose to the forum members who are familiar with the system is what actually fails, what do those of us that have oil injection on our bike need to pay particular attention too to prevent system failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Oil Injection

Post by bufftester »

I don't have any experience with the SRs, but I did have an old Suzuki TS185 that had an oil pump, and my Kawasaki jet ski has a similar type oil pump. On the Suzuki the biggest problem was just having the oil line getting gunked up where it goes into the carb. Seemed if it sat for awhile the gas and oil didn't play well and it would plug up. On the jet ski it was the pump impeller that would wear, but I don't believe the SR pump is the same type. If you can find a service manual it should give specs on pressure output , etc. Unfortunately in the KDX universe a lot of us have never seen one in the wild!
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

bufftester wrote:I don't have any experience with the SRs, but I did have an old Suzuki TS185 that had an oil pump, and my Kawasaki jet ski has a similar type oil pump. On the Suzuki the biggest problem was just having the oil line getting gunked up where it goes into the carb. Seemed if it sat for awhile the gas and oil didn't play well and it would plug up. On the jet ski it was the pump impeller that would wear, but I don't believe the SR pump is the same type. If you can find a service manual it should give specs on pressure output , etc. Unfortunately in the KDX universe a lot of us have never seen one in the wild!
On closer inspection of the Sr parts fiche I’m no closer to understanding the internal machinations of the oil pump, there is an idler gear that looks like it drives off the clutch drum, this leads me to think that it’s a combination of throttle positioning and low pressure draw of the two stroke cycle. That may seem obvious to most but until I pull it apart I don’t know Jack, so I will heed your advise and replace all the connecting hoses, do you think regular fuel hose would suffice, the ones insitu at present are rock hard.

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not sure exactly about the SR, but most have the pump gear driven off the crank or clutch. Engine RPM determines pumps revs per minute, throttle position controls the amount of oil pushed per pump revolution. Very neat setup.
jhogg7575

Post by jhogg7575 »

There is a set up pic somewhere on how to check the throttle cable ajustment at the pump will see if i can find it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
jhogg7575

Post by jhogg7575 »

This was found while serching internet would like to thank original poster hope they don't mind repostImage

jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

jhogg7575 wrote:This was found while serching internet would like to thank original poster hope they don't mind repostImage

Sweet set up, will be replacing all the hoses as suggested in jhogg’s post, have had contact with PO and it was working last century lol

jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Oil Injection

Post by jstcraig »

Hoses on and oil in, will let it sit over night to see if it moves further along, the brass fitting in the manifold is a check valve, mine unfortunately even after cleaning passes both ways and this might be where they fail maybe any thoughts if you read this post ??

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
jhogg7575

Post by jhogg7575 »

I got mine to bleed thru buy holding the throttle fully open while kicking over the engine with the fuel off and the spark plug out took about 10 mins

jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

jhogg7575 wrote:I got mine to bleed thru buy holding the throttle fully open while kicking over the engine with the fuel off and the spark plug out took about 10 mins

Thanks trying that method, didn’t see any movement past the pic

jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Well I’m going to premix for the time being, the check valve is not functioning correctly, waiting for parts from Japan

jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Oil Injection

Post by jstcraig »

Will have to repair the oil tank, have noticed a leak at the outlet, maybe due to being < 5mm above the exhaust. If you read this post and have an Sr could you put up a pick of your tank on the bike so I have a reference point, I think the exhaust might be buckled

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageImageImage
Hooters

Post by Hooters »

Hi
Just wondering if someone can shed some light on the oil injection system for me.
I have a clear hose between the oil pump and the manifold.
When the bike is running, the hose is never completely full of oil along its entire length. It's full from the pump to about half way then splatters from the halfway point to the manifold.
Does anyone elses look similar?
galactika

Post by galactika »

I have been using an oil pump for 7 years now. And I'm not going to shoot. Increase the oil supply can be adjusted. First on the pump itself. The second on the rope in the middle. Slightly pulling the cable oil, we increase the flow of oil. Very comfortably. Although I ride only on the ground.
galactika

Post by galactika »

I have a transparent hose. During operation, this hose is completely filled with oil. Unscrew the plastic cover of the pump, these are two screws and moving the throttle stick see how the pump door opens. If anything, pull the cable. On top of the pump there is a stopper, open when the engine is running, to check and release air