1st gear mystery

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDogs43

1st gear mystery

Post by DirtDogs43 »

Hello everyone,
I have a '96 KDX200. I have an issue when I'm in 1st gear. It feels like it slips in and out whenever I put a load on the engine. When I'm on level ground with the throttle steady it doesn't do it but if I gas it and it starts getting on the pipe it happens. Also, when I'm going up a steep hill it happens. By the way, it started doing this out of the blue. I drained the oil to see if there where any chunks of metal and found none. The oil looked "normal". It only happens in 1st. 2nd through 6th it doesn't do it at all. Thoughts anyone?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Corey
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1st gear mystery

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Rounded off gear dogs and/or damaged shift fork. Though generally either one will also take the other out as well
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1st gear mystery

Post by SS109 »

Sadly, it means the cases have to be split, figure out what's wrong, find replacement part(s), and then reassemble the bottom end.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
koshari

Re: 1st gear mystery

Post by koshari »

are any of these parts interchangable with klx250?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

koshari wrote:are any of these parts interchangable with klx250?
Not likely.... The gear dogs are part of the trans gear itself..... I highly doubt They're the same size gear
DirtDogs43

1st gear mystery

Post by DirtDogs43 »

Thanks for your replies. I have a hunch that it is indeed rounded gear dogs and/or worn shift forks. Any way around it, the cases need to be split.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I had a similar problem it affected 1st and second but was much worse in first, my powervalve actuator pin the rides in the governor broke and found its way to the back corner behind the shift shaft and wedged in with enough pressure to keep the shifter ratchet fromfully rotating the drum and resetting which allowed the drum to drop back under load.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDXohio wrote:I had a similar problem it affected 1st and second but was much worse in first, my powervalve actuator pin the rides in the governor broke and found its way to the back corner behind the shift shaft and wedged in with enough pressure to keep the shifter ratchet fromfully rotating the drum and resetting which allowed the drum to drop back under load.
No doubt!

I would definitely look for something like this before splitting just to make sure something hasn't lodged itself in there causing the problem. Maybe you'll get lucky!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
DirtDogs43

1st gear mystery

Post by DirtDogs43 »

For sure I'll be investigating everything before splitting. Thanks again for all of your replies. :supz:
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

Probably sounds stupid, but what does your front sprocket look like? One of the guys I ride with thought he had blown the gearbox in his Husky and when I looked, all the teeth were stuffed on the front sprocket. Same symptoms as you describe. If it's not that, it sounds like your dogs are gone.....
DirtDogs43

1st gear mystery

Post by DirtDogs43 »

Thanks JL4049. Front sprocket looks fine...unfortunately.