Goldentyre Fatty best front tire ever

Feedback on products.....
KDXRDave

Post by KDXRDave »

I just installed a new 90/100-21TT Goldentyre Fatty front tire to ride in the Desert 100 Family Poker Run. This tire brings an incredible amount of stability and control on all types of terrain especially going over rocks, it completely changed the feel of my ride, increased my confidence and control - I felt like I was on a new bike. I paid $120 for the tire, heavy duty tube, strap and installation. The tire looks really good as it is oversized. I am running a Motoz Tractionator in the rear which provides superior traction.

GT216AA – "FATTY" FRONT
The GT216AA front tire line-up was developed and tested by the best racers in the world to provide maximum grip while maintaining excellent bump compliance and durability. The special V-shaped tread pattern and flexible construction provide unmatched traction in any terrain. Each size has specific characteristics to maximize performance in a specific type of conditions. Proven results in every round of the 2016 Red Bull Extreme Enduro Series by Jonny Walker, Graham Jarvis, Taddy Blazusiak, Alfredo Gomez, and many more.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have been really wanting to try this front tire. If only RMATV carried them.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Goldentyre Fatty best front tire ever

Post by 6 Riders »

so, Dave, did you race, or just do the poker run?

SS109, what tires are you running in AZ?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

6 Riders wrote:so, Dave, did you race, or just do the poker run?

SS109, what tires are you running in AZ?
Currently running a Pirelli Scorpion MX Extra X in 80/100-21 up front. It's ok but not better than my go to Maxxis SI. Out back I have the Sedona MX907HP in 110/100-18. It is by far my favorite rear tire.
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I've really been digging the Washougal front tires...My favorite so far. I run either Washougal or Track Master rears. At the Dessert 100 the Washougal F/R set up was AMAZING! I couldn't believe the traction and stability. Back on the wet side, my only complaint would be wet clay based mud, but I haven't found a general purpose tire that runs well in that crap.
The nice think about the TM rear set up is it is a DOT 6 ply tire. Tough as nails, gets good traction in most conditions and it's cheap.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

BTW, I just picked up the Fatty front and a matching GT523KX rear. Can't wait to try them out!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXRDave

Post by KDXRDave »

My 13 year old son and I raced in the family poker run on Saturday. We both finished without any problems and had a blast taking in the entire event. We helped pull a lot of bikes out of the mud (mainly brand new KTM's). The KDX was perfect for the course. I ran Maxima SuperM premix at 32:1 with ethonal free gas, FMF Desert pipe with my stock spark arrestor. The Goldentyre Fatty is holding up great, I have put about 200 miles on it and it is not showing any signs of wear.
dr48820

Post by dr48820 »

So that's a 90/100 tire instead of the stock 80/100. 2 quick questions:

- Did you have to make any adjustments so that the larger tire would fit?

- I can see where the larger tire will feel more stable. However, I can imagine that in sand and soft soils it may not dig as deep, resulting in a less traction. Have you seen that at all?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have over 250 miles on my Fatty now. Still looks almost new! Wish I could say the same for the rear but it's actually wearing better than I expected.
dr48820 wrote:So that's a 90/100 tire instead of the stock 80/100. 2 quick questions:

- Did you have to make any adjustments so that the larger tire would fit?

- I can see where the larger tire will feel more stable. However, I can imagine that in sand and soft soils it may not dig as deep, resulting in a less traction. Have you seen that at all?
Yes, the Fatty is the 90/100. I made no adjustments to fit the tire and I'm running KX250f forks that have been slid up in the clamps about 1". I can occasionally get it to hit the fender on some serious G-outs but have not had any negatives due to it. The traction is better in every situation over any 80/100 tire I have ever used. Sand is absolutely awesome to ride with the Fatty including even the super deep soft stuff! It makes the bike feel like you had the forks revalved for an even plusher feel and it eats trail trash like its not even there. It makes rock gardens much easier to ride from the plushness and less deflection. The Fatty is now my go-to tire from here on out!
'11 GasGas EC250R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Are you running a tube in the "fatty" up front? Seems they recommend a mousse insert. Wonder if there are issues if you choose to run a tube?
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm running Tubliss with mine at 11psi.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Lewellen

Post by Lewellen »

KDXRDave wrote:I exercise and use C4 Pre Workout and just installed a new 90/100-21TT Goldentyre Fatty front tire to ride in the Desert 100 Family Poker Run. This tire brings an incredible amount of stability and control on all types of terrain especially going over rocks, it completely changed the feel of my ride, increased my confidence and control - I felt like I was on a new bike. I paid $120 for the tire, heavy duty tube, strap and installation. The tire looks really good as it is oversized. I am running a Motoz Tractionator in the rear which provides superior traction.

GT216AA – "FATTY" FRONT
The GT216AA front tire line-up was developed and tested by the best racers in the world to provide maximum grip while maintaining excellent bump compliance and durability. The special V-shaped tread pattern and flexible construction provide unmatched traction in any terrain. Each size has specific characteristics to maximize performance in a specific type of conditions. Proven results in every round of the 2016 Red Bull Extreme Enduro Series by Jonny Walker, Graham Jarvis, Taddy Blazusiak, Alfredo Gomez, and many more.
Your high praise got me interested, not gonna lie. My tires are fine at the moment but I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Last edited by Lewellen on 07:16 am Dec 18 2021, edited 2 times in total.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

I’ve found this front tire to be pretty decent. Your review is spot on.
You can get this tire for $78 shipped if your in the states the seller has deals in. $75 a fatty with $3 shipping. I bought two
It’s on another site with the initials TT.
I’ve ran the shinko 216mx which is a goldentyre fatty exact copy for $57 shipped thru chapmoto.
If this is not permitted please delete, I just wanted others to know about the deal offered.
Restore rather than replace
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

based on your review, I will be getting one for my front and probably rear. The rocks where I ride are chewing my dunlops up. thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm still running the Fatty up front on my KDX and my GasGas. Love this tire. That said, after learning my all time go to tire is also available in the 90/100 profile, I will be trying the Maxxis SI again in the fatty size. Probably end up back with the GT Fatty but I gotta know how the SI compares!

FYI, it's ok to mention ThumperTalk on here! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I went to buy the Goldentyre Fatty, they were out, and I ended up with a Shinko 90/100 x 21 which works better than the 80/100 I had on there.
I have a Shinko 505 on the back which I like a lot.
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

The pirelli mxmh 90/100-21 was my go to tire until trying out the shinko then gt fattys. Maxxis desert it rear too since it’s all dry hardpack dirt & rocks here.
Good to know TT is ok here, some inmates on advrider its not

Restore rather than replace
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Oohh, tire talk.....
I absolutely love the Kenda Washougal. The front is my favorite tire and has handled superbly in everything I've ridden in. That last a good amount of time too. I've run these In 80/100 and 90/100 and actually like the 80/100 onthe kdx over the 90/100.
Side note, I've run pretty hard and fast on rock (3 finger size rollers) burms and love the way they handle them. Been pretty good in the Washington dessert as well.