KDX vs KTM??

Got questions? We got answers....
19Delta
Supporting Member

KDX vs KTM??

Post by 19Delta »

We have 2 KDX's, and I'm considering selling one to get a KTM. I'd likely look at a 2008 or newer 200 or 250XC-W model, but open to opinions. What is everyone's opinion? How different does the KTM ride? Handle? I want something newer, with an electric start. Also open to opinions on KTM 4 strokes. Or other bikes in the similar price range? I am also considering a Beta.

Opinions?
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KDX vs KTM??

Post by Friedom »

:popcorn

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
GreensboroKDX

KDX vs KTM??

Post by GreensboroKDX »

I'll be honest. If I had the money, Beta 300 RR is the direction I would go.

I know that's probably not a popular opinion on this forum, but I have heard nothing bad about them.
cornishwrecker220

KDX vs KTM??

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Beta Xtrainer 300......it's a modern day kdx !
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Well, I guess that's one way to put it.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea, I don't see there being much of a comparison. When KTM says their bikes are race ready, they aren't joking. I rode a friends 200XC (or XCW?) and could not believe the power that thing had compared to my KDX200. It was a night and day difference, more agile, lighter, more power all over, super smooth suspension... they are definitely sweet bikes, but you pay for them. They are also much more modern; I don't even think its very fair to compare a stock 2005 KDX200/220 with any of the 2010 and up KTM's. The KDX's were designed in what, the late 90's and never really changed? The KTM's seem to change every year with the latest and greatest updates.

Also, I'd say at least 60-70% of the KTM owners that I know, are snobby about having one, and that just doesn't sit well with me. To each his own though, if I could afford a KTM, I'm sure I'd have at least one. The price point of the KDX's is much more in my range and I can comfortably buy and tinker with them without completely destroying the bank.

Just my 2 cents. Don't get the wrong idea though, I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't get one. They are the bees knees.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Yeah, I am not sure of major model year differences (yet), other than I read the 08 is better than the 07's. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash either... Max would be $4,000, and I'd love to be $3,500. Just not sure it's that much better of a bike than my 97 KDX 200 that's probably worth around $1,500. But, I'm going to Moab Utah next March to ride for a whole week, so I want something fun, easy to ride, and ultra reliable. I'll be riding VERY remote areas far from civilization. Just seems a bike that is only 8 years old, has to better and more reliable than my 19 year old KDX.

Then there is that cool factor.... :-)

Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

19Delta wrote:Yeah, I am not sure of major model year differences (yet), other than I read the 08 is better than the 07's. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash either... Max would be $4,000, and I'd love to be $3,500. Just not sure it's that much better of a bike than my 97 KDX 200 that's probably worth around $1,500. But, I'm going to Moab Utah next March to ride for a whole week, so I want something fun, easy to ride, and ultra reliable. I'll be riding VERY remote areas far from civilization. Just seems a bike that is only 8 years old, has to better and more reliable than my 19 year old KDX.

Then there is that cool factor.... :-)

I've heard it's hard to beat the reliability of the KDX. And for the budget, you could just buy a spare kdx and still have money left over.
KTMs are cool, definitely ahead of the curve. But I still lean toward tried and true tech, even if it's older.
Can't always be on the newest thing though, as something newer is about to come out. I say ride what you love!

"Good job, guys. "
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I raced a 2008 KTM 200XCW for 3yrs and it was fantastic. No real comparison to the KDX. Better all around.

However, in 2012 I bought a 2005 KDX200 for my son and had a blast on it. Even raced it myself a few times. Can't say I felt too disadvantaged. It's not a modern bike, but it holds its own just fine.

If I were racing, I'd likely get the KTM or other modern 2T. However, you are not racing and the KDX is IMO the better choice. Very reliable, parts are no issue (96 and above) and cheap to acquire/maintain. What more do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snowjob

KDX vs KTM??

Post by snowjob »

19Delta wrote:...and ultra reliable. I'll be riding VERY remote areas far from civilization. Just seems a bike that is only 8 years old, has to better and more reliable than my 19 year old KDX...
Nearly fell off my chair laughing at the idea of reliable and KTM in the same sentence! I rode a KTM Freeride 350 for 1.5 years while in the UK and it was far from reliable. Admittedly, the design was a compromise from the beginning to save weight and essentially deliver an updated KDX-like experience, but I don't see giving KTM any more of my money soon.

I also must admit to only having the KDX for a month, but I am really impressed so far. It starts by just barely breathing on the kickstarter and so far I have only had to add pre-mix once bolting on the parts the previous owner gave me with it.

However, each bike has its purpose. I also have a Honda CRF250L that I ride for overland trips and I cannot kill the thing. Even had it in Moab and it was flawless. Sure it is overweight and underpowered, but I would hop on to ride the Trans America Trail tomorrow.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX vs KTM??

Post by canamfan »

There's no doubt the KTM and all the other newer machines have an advantage over the KDX in a racing scenario. Except for some really tight gnarly single track, I think the KDX can prevail in that environment. As far as reliability I believe the KDX is very good. Any bike, even newer models can break down, especially electrical components. If the topend and crankbearings were in good shape I'd put on new cables keep the old one's for spares. Buy some spare electrics, like the cdi and coil, maybe even a stator and take it with you. If you buy all these spares you won't need them, that's always been my experience.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX vs KTM??

Post by kx200 »

I have been racing a 2013 KTM200 this year and so far I would say that the motor is a tad better.
The 04/KDX 220 hybrid I raced last year gives up very little in the way of power. The only thing better on the KTM is the fact it has a better digital ignition and revs higher.
The adjustable power valve per-load is a nice feature too. The mapping switch gray wire does not do much on my bike for some reason.
Starting to get spoiled with the e-start too. Works good for a dead engine starts. You can stay centered and over the bars and 2 gear starts are easy peasy
I have not raced a stock KDX chassis since 1990 so I can't help you there. I do like the stock suspension on the KTM the front is very plush and hunkers down in the corners.
I do think the extra 10 pounds over my hybrid is not noticeable until you have to get it unstuck.
My poor KDX hybrid is not getting ridden much
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX vs KTM??

Post by kx200 »

Oh I for got to mention the best thing it is not orange!
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

kx200 wrote:Oh I for got to mention the best thing it is not orange!
I agree with that! Son and I rode an enduro, and a pro photographer took 1,000 pics. Flipping thru her thumb nails on her web page make it easy to find us quickly! Only one other KDX was in the mix. 90% were orange pumpkins! :-)

chippy

KDX vs KTM??

Post by chippy »

I have just as much fun on my KDX as my buddy does on his Beta X-Trainer!
Don't get me wrong, his Beta is a great bike. I ride it ever time he offers, and it works GREAT. My budget fits the KDX much better. I am able to own and ride 3 cherry dirt bikes cheaper than 1 Beta. (06 KDX200, 04 CRF250x, and 03 XR250r) I take my bikes to Moab at least once a year and always have a blast. My bikes work very well in the desert, and can't be beat here in the mountains.
Another long time riding buddy does own the local Beta/Kawasaki dealership, so as soon as the budget allows, I do see a Beta in my future...
It's all good! :grin:
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I love this thread.
:popcorn

I took my 93 kdx with a new top end out for its maiden voyage.
Rear brakes failed, didn't even care. Wheelie machine!

"Good job, guys. "
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Update.

We rode in a "dual sport" today that they don't allow street bikes. It's the local enduro loop, with extra trails added. We of course ride our KDX's, and everything all of you have shared rang home with me. We rode over 70 miles, and had a blast. After the ride, I asked several guys if I could try there bikes out for a short spin. Here is what I rode, in order of riding, and what I thought (my opinions are not factual, they are based on MY opinions, yours will surely vary):

1. Beta XTrainer 300. Out of 185 bikes, there were 4 there. First thought, that is the hardest seat I've EVER sat on. I think the seat is wood with fabric on it. I liked the engine... It was like my trials bike... Climbed from bottom with no big hit, very manageable, yet enough power. Handling want nearly as trials like as I expected. Was light and nimble, but not nearly as much as I expected. Could not ride that seat very long at all. Nice bike, but nothing earth shattering.

2. Beta 250 2 stroke. WAY more power than the beta 300, but still manageable. Comfortable, could easily maneuver it, but nothing was dramatically better than my KDX. I liked this bike a lot.

3. 2012 KTM 200xcw. I was surprised how light and nimble this bike was. Could turn very sharp! Felt light! It just seemed like it wanted to play! It felt more trials like than the Xtrainer... This little bike is nimble! Motor was lacking... Had a lot less low end grunt than my KDX. If it had a 250, I think I could really dig it. But, it would just cost more, and be the cool pumpkin color. It might be better after a few hours, hard to say.

4. KTM 150 (sx?) No. No. No. I don't motocross, and I wouldn't trade half my KDX for it. It was gutless in the bottom. No. No. No.

5. 2014 KTM 300 SX. ROCKET SHIP! Geared really high... I would stall this bike a lot. Fun, but it would be tough to ride well when fatigued. It would take me more work to ride this than my KDX. Not for me.

End result, I'd really like to try a KTM 250 xcw, but all this test riding made me realize how great my KDX is! (Mine us a 97, gnarly pipe, RB carb, and auto clutch. (I LOVE the clutch, I feel like I'm cheating).

So, that's my .02. Thanks for everyone's input! For the distant future, I'm keeping my trusty KDX.

Bitteeinit

KDX vs KTM??

Post by Bitteeinit »

How many hours can a KTM 250 EXC do before needing a new piston? Around 100-200 hours for the casual rider? Or far less?
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Bitteeinit wrote:How many hours can a KTM 250 EXC do before needing a new piston? Around 100-200 hours for the casual rider? Or far less?
Good question. How long can a KDX go?

Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

My last one made it to almost 20 hrs maintenance free!
Turns out they need tight head bolts and coolant to go longer than that..

"Good job, guys. "