Running but no electrics

Got questions? We got answers....
Otoko Retoro

Running but no electrics

Post by Otoko Retoro »

My kdx got wet last week and cut out. I kicked it loads till I needed a rest with little luck. Waited 10 mins and it came to life almost instantly burbled and then ran fine.

I presume the engine heat dried whatever got wet.
Its been ok for a few days but got wet again and did the same as above, waiting 5/10 mins and running etc. Last time I rode it I lost the lighting. Still runs fine but no lighting. Took the wires from the stator and the yellow wire to earth reads half a volt.

Took the stator cover off and unexpectedly, a bit of oil came out. This normal? Surely the stator should be dry?
Otoko Retoro

Re: Running but no electrics

Post by Otoko Retoro »

The stator gasket is just horrendous, its made of a gasket and what appears to be silicone so somebody has previously bodged it. Furthermore the oil inside has red 2 stoke in it, im thinking this gasket isnt sealing properly. Ill post some pictures later. the seal around the crank is good and its nice and dry in the centre. My guess is that water oil grime petrol dirt etc have snook in through the poor fitting bodged seal.

I had a look at the lighting coil, tested the continuity of the yellow output cable to the coil cable and that's fine however the lead that runs to the o ring and is screwed to the stator plate is snapped. So Im saying for now that I've found the problem. Will go to maplin tomorrow and purchase some 18 gauge wire and do the excellent mod Nick posted.

Can somebody please confirm it's meant to be nice and dry in the stator/generator area? I'm looking at the basic electrical design and its no more complicated than my 1959 lambretta which is bone dry in the stator area
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

yes it should be completely dry in the stator area. no oil, no water, just dry. you can seal up the wire plug with rtv to help keep it that way if you like.
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Woo hoo, rewired and all sealed up, cheers for the reply ohgood, I dried everything off and got room temp silicone and a new gasket hopefully sealing everything up nicely. Even wired A switch to flick between main and dipped beam. Result :)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd keep an eye on that. I can't imagine fuel mix getting in there from anyplace other than the crank seal or a defect in the case half.
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Well the tap was leaking and the wires from the stator/generator were up against it, I guess it was running down the wire and into the casing. At least I'd like to think that was the answer :sad: . The area directly around the crank seal was clean and bone dry fingers crossed !!!
The Duck of Deseret

Running but no electrics

Post by The Duck of Deseret »

Yeah but? What am I missing here? What about the 'wet' problem? Didn't you say that it would not start when wet----but after kicking it awhile and then ---after a pause---it would start? Then you found a broken wire---wasn't that the lighting lead? ------I think I missed something----what was causing the bike not to start when 'wet"? You aren't saying that the oil in the stator was causing it---were you? Sorry I am confused?
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

That is a good point duck of descent, obviously im having 2 problems here. I'd like to think the issue was the stator getting wet and now the lighting coil has been rewound and the generator/stator gasket replaced and siliconed up, shouldn't get wet any more .....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Otoko Retoro wrote:Tduck of descent
:lol: :busted:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

6 Riders wrote:
Otoko Retoro wrote:Tduck of descent
:lol: :busted:
Oops the irony of me getting that wrong. Sorry Duck of Deseret. :oops: