KDX 220 starts and runs great after build - will not rev high - no top end power

Site Updates....
chasedgo

KDX 220 starts and runs great after build - will not rev high - no top end power

Post by chasedgo » 06:24 pm Aug 26 2020

Recently rebuilt my 1998 my KDX 220R. Bike starts and runs great. However, at 2/3 throttle the bike seems to reach a 'limit' like it wont rev higher. This happens in every gear, I cant even get the front tire off the ground. I am thinking it is the KIPS valve, however I was very sure to align everything when I assembled it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I took off the side cover and opened the valve by hand, the side valves and the central valve by the exhaust open freely, however I noticed that the two side valves open differently of each other... I have been looking for photos of how they should look as I am certain I did align things correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX 220 starts and runs great after build - will not rev high - no top end power

Post by bufftester » 07:05 pm Aug 26 2020

When you say took off the side cover and opened the valve by hand, are you talking the round cover on the left side of the engine, or the actuating rod cover on the right side? If the actuating rod side, did you disconnect the pawl gear before rotating it? The nut holding it on is let hand threaded and if you go the wrong way you break the pin at the bottom of the rod inside the clutch area and the KIPS will not function. To verify if it is working you take off the round cover on the left side of the engine, run the bike and see if it rotates around 6000 rpm.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX 220 starts and runs great after build - will not rev high - no top end power

Post by KDXGarage » 09:51 pm Aug 26 2020

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128

chasedgo

Post by chasedgo » 11:45 am Aug 28 2020

bufftester wrote:
07:05 pm Aug 26 2020
When you say took off the side cover and opened the valve by hand, are you talking the round cover on the left side of the engine, or the actuating rod cover on the right side? If the actuating rod side, did you disconnect the pawl gear before rotating it? The nut holding it on is let hand threaded and if you go the wrong way you break the pin at the bottom of the rod inside the clutch area and the KIPS will not function. To verify if it is working you take off the round cover on the left side of the engine, run the bike and see if it rotates around 6000 rpm.
I was talking about the round cover. I ended up pulling off the cylinder and reassembling the KIPS to find that I did not do it correctly. Bike is running great now! Thank you for the help.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage » 04:49 pm Aug 28 2020

Thanks for the follow up and congratulations on getting it going. Power valves across all brands can be a little tricky.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128