Biffed it hard. (Pics inside)

Causes and cures...
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Biffed it hard. (Pics inside)

Post by Slick_Nick »

It’s never a matter of “if” in this sport, is it? It’s a matter of when, and how bad.

This was riding moto, came off a step up I’ve hit 1000 times, don’t remember what happened but apparently landed in some super soft dirt and cross rutted , instantly sending me over the bars. Woke up with my face in the dirt and there was another couple riders who had stopped to help. I always hit that jump in 5th gear, pretty tapped on my KX250F, no idea what the top speed of a bike like that is, but I was close.

Was out cold for about a minute apparently, pretty bad concussion, and when I tried to stand up I felt the sharp pain in my shoulder that let me know instantly I had once again broken my collarbone. It was sticking up pretty bad.

Was there with the mrs, she was ripping her little DRZ around, so luckily I had someone to drive us to the hospital. Couple of guys helped me walk back to the truck, and got us all loaded up. Off to the hospital we went, I still didn’t even know what planet I was on, never mind day of the week. Apparently, I kept introducing myself to all of my riding buddies who I’ve known for years :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Had the usual CT scan and X rays, my melon is ok, just a concussion, no bleeding. My collarbone broke in the same spot that it broke in when I was about 18, this time it’s displaced enough that it will likely need surgery. I am at home on morphine until they can get me back in on Monday to assess for surgery (Canadian healthcare sucks!)

I’ll be off the bike for 6-8 weeks probably, but I’ll live to swing another leg over, fear not. Since the mrs was too short to unload two bikes by herself, she took them to my sisters place where my brother in law did it. Apparently my bike isn’t even that bad, will need some new plastics, some levers, grips, and maybe a new set of bars. I’ve got weeks and weeks to fix all of that stuff, so I’ll wait until I’m on the mend.

Honestly, I’m more bummed about not being able to ride. The season for good riding here in western Canada is pretty short, maybe only 8 months long, and to go down right at the start of the season, and miss 2 months (maybe more) of an already abbreviated season is a bummer. I usually ride 5-6 days a week, so I’m missing out on a lot of seat time.

Once I get put back together, hopefully the pain will subside, right now it’s excruciating every time I move and the bones grind against each other… I’ve got lots to do off the bike, like maybe finally finish my ‘98 KX125 build that I’ve been putting off for years! I’ll post recovery updates here.
'00 KDX 220R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Biffed it hard. (Pics inside)

Post by Molly's 70 »

Collar bones are painful. Ask me how I know. Take as little pain meds as possible, they constipate you. Labatt's Blue is better. :drinkers:
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Sorry to hear of your injuries. Hang in there. I hope you heal up soon!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

The time with limited activity is a bummer. Hope you recover fast.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I’m real sorry to hear about this Nick. It’s good knowing you had help at the track and at home. Hang in there.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Exactly why riding alone is not a good idea. So sorry to hear this! Get it all healed up.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Thanks everyone! Still waiting on a call to go in for surgery. Sitting at home with bones grinding together everytime I move is getting old.. Quickly..
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The one piece of advice I can give you is don't rush anything during the healing process. If you do, when you're my age you'll pay for it. Please follow what your docs say and take the proper time to heal. Once again, sorry brother.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Oh man! So sorry to hear that. But, must admit pinned in 5th makes my heart skip a beat.
I am not sure my RMZ even remembers it has a 5th gear. Let alone on a step-up! That’s the kind of stuff dreams are made of.
I’ll be thinking about it now every time I clear the only little table I have the stones to take (in 3rd).
Get well soon!
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

That's just crappy Slick Nick!!! Glad it wasn't any worse than it is. Hopefully they can get you in for surgery soon. Let us know how it goes. Very glad to hear the CT scan was all good too especially. Head injuries of any sorts are bad, in particular for maintaining your line of work.(buddy had to stop flying Chopper because of a concussion bleed) Hopefully they didn't have to cut your boots off at the hospital to add insult to injury!

Find some good bone supplements to help healing. My wife took this stuff when she shattered her humerus years ago and found it helped speed things up. Not sure where you'd find it now but I'm sure there's similar products out there.
https://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/nu- ... plets.html

Heal up soon! I hear ya about our short riding season!
Go Riders!
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Dang Nick. Sorry to hear this brotha. Try and be patient and get well soon. :drinkers:
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Kawibunga wrote: 02:04 pm Apr 05 2022 That's just crappy Slick Nick!!! Glad it wasn't any worse than it is. Hopefully they can get you in for surgery soon. Let us know how it goes. Very glad to hear the CT scan was all good too especially. Head injuries of any sorts are bad, in particular for maintaining your line of work.(buddy had to stop flying Chopper because of a concussion bleed) Hopefully they didn't have to cut your boots off at the hospital to add insult to injury!

Find some good bone supplements to help healing. My wife took this stuff when she shattered her humerus years ago and found it helped speed things up. Not sure where you'd find it now but I'm sure there's similar products out there.
https://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/nu- ... plets.html

Heal up soon! I hear ya about our short riding season!
I’ve got an appointment on Friday morning at the Lougheed bone centre, so hopefully I can get this all screwed and glued back together. (Do they use JB Weld these days??)

Funny you mention the ER, the nurse (who was pretty cute I might add) asked how attached I was to my jersey when I came in. Well, I had JUST got my name and number screened onto it, so cutting it off was not an option. I had her give me a stack of tongue depressors to chomp on, and up and over my head it came! :supz:
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Ouch!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OUCH indeed!

That jersey lives due to your sacrifice. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Slick_Nick wrote: 07:40 pm Apr 05 2022 .........Funny you mention the ER, the nurse (who was pretty cute I might add) asked how attached I was to my jersey when I came in. Well, I had JUST got my name and number screened onto it, so cutting it off was not an option. I had her give me a stack of tongue depressors to chomp on, and up and over my head it came! :supz:
Hard core!! :lol: that ol' Jersey will be a little extra special now, will deserve a place on the wall when it's done!

Ya I mentioned that as quite few years ago a buddy piled up on the hill track on his CR500 (which I bought afterwards) broke his foot and they cut off his fancy new boots at the Loughheed, those you weren't pulling off.......

Glad to hear you got a time now. Crap is not sooner though...... good luck!
Go Riders!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Kawibunga wrote: 10:01 pm Apr 05 2022
Slick_Nick wrote: 07:40 pm Apr 05 2022 .........Funny you mention the ER, the nurse (who was pretty cute I might add) asked how attached I was to my jersey when I came in. Well, I had JUST got my name and number screened onto it, so cutting it off was not an option. I had her give me a stack of tongue depressors to chomp on, and up and over my head it came! :supz:
Hard core!! :lol: that ol' Jersey will be a little extra special now, will deserve a place on the wall when it's done!

Ya I mentioned that as quite few years ago a buddy piled up on the hill track on his CR500 (which I bought afterwards) broke his foot and they cut off his fancy new boots at the Loughheed, those you weren't pulling off.......

Glad to hear you got a time now. Crap is not sooner though...... good luck!
Mine happened on the hill track too! It claims another victim! :busted:
'00 KDX 220R
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Update Slick_Nick? So are you all glued and screwed back together and on the mend?
Go Riders!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Kawibunga wrote: 03:30 pm Apr 12 2022 Update Slick_Nick? So are you all glued and screwed back together and on the mend?
Nope. Still waiting on surgery. Scheduled in at Lougheed on Thursday morning now. Had a consult today and some more x-rays, surgeon said it would *probably* heal on its own, but would take 4-6 weeks for the bone to rejoin so it doesn't move around. I can't just sit here and chomp on pain killers for another month, so I pushed for the surgery. Enough is enough. The next time I hear someone brag about how awesome our "free" Canadian healthcare is, I'm going to punch them in the throat.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 05:35 pm Apr 12 2022The next time I hear someone brag about how awesome our "free" Canadian healthcare is, I'm going to punch them in the throat.
LOL! Yup, there is always a cost and delays like this are one of them.

How soon did they say they can get you in?
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

FULL THROATLE.png
FULL THROATLE.png (458.86 KiB) Viewed 9180 times