Biffed it hard. (Pics inside)

Causes and cures...
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Biffed it hard. (Pics inside)

Post by Slick_Nick »

Final visit with the surgeon went well! 6 weeks since surgery, he said the x-rays looked really nice and the bone is at least as strong as it were if it weren't broke, but the healing process will continue. Of course, I couldn't wait to get back at it! It felt so good to be back on the bike! My first few laps I was a little "gun-shy" but I quickly got back into the groove. Certainly 2 months off the bike took a toll on my moto-fitness but I'm sure it will quickly return! I doubt I will race this weekend, just to be safe probably stick to practice days for awhile.

'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Good to hear! :supz:

However, please stay off the MX track. Well, at least dial it back considerably. It seems when my riding buddies get seriously hurt it's almost always on the MX track. I think all but three (I'm one of those three) have been on the track over the past decade plus.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Glad you’re back!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Well, sh!t. Last night cased a big double pretty hard and went for the ol' huck a buck! Gave it way too much throttle off the face and got just about sideways in the air. Held the throttle wide to try and save it, but ended up swapping about 3 times. You're just a passenger at that point! Knew I was going down, so tried to just ragdoll and protect the collarbone. There was another double right after so I kinda went down right into the face of it. Ended up taking the handlebars to the ribs and broke a couple, but the collarbone survived! Nothing they can do for ribs, so I'll stay off the bike until I feel better in a week or so. It'll give me time to buy a chest protector! Never worn one for motocross. I have an old 661 pressure suit thing for offroad but I saw FOX makes some nice under jersey impact protection now. I don't want a full garment, I need to be able to move around, so I'll stick with probably the chest and back protector.

2 months to the day that I had my other get-off! I think I'll refrain from riding on the 1st of the month from now on, gotta be some bad JuJu! :rolleyes:
'00 KDX 220R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Troy Lee Designs makes a really comfortable one that has been great for me. Better quality than most of the other stuff out there in my opinion. Sorry about the ribs, those are tough to get over.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

See, what did I tell ya about the MX track! Heal up my man.
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Check out the Fox Raptor chest protector. It won't fit under your jersey but the rib protection is excellent. I once took a tree branch straight to the chest and it would've been so bad if I wasn't wearing it. I didn't have a scratch on me. I removed the shoulder and bicep pads.
When you have it on you could hit yourself in the chest or the ribs as hard as you possibly could and your hand would be the only thing that hurts. Its a serious piece of equipment!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Take it easy on the ol' skeleton! Heal up soon.

I wore an old Fox full protector after breaking some ribs. I had a slide out and landed on my shoulder. I was glad to just hop back up and finish the race. no problem. Of course, being slow also helped.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Damn it! I was just catching up and love that / your cornering vid. I could have used that technique at Washougal yesterday. 2-3' ruts, just like the pro's have to deal with. wish i could lean like that!! I had to ride the top line of the berms, so i wouldn't stick my outside peg. Get well soon!
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Goat wrote: 01:07 pm Jun 27 2022 Damn it! I was just catching up and love that / your cornering vid. I could have used that technique at Washougal yesterday. 2-3' ruts, just like the pro's have to deal with. wish i could lean like that!! I had to ride the top line of the berms, so i wouldn't stick my outside peg. Get well soon!
Been back on the bike for a week or so now, definitely guarding my ribs on the left side! I keep dropping my left elbow in turns :rolleyes: Still a little painful but it actually feels good to get moving and get the blood flowing again!
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Glad to hear that. Stay safe my brother!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Back at it in full stride! This weekend was the first ride I finally felt back in the groove 100%
A95F85C5-3EC0-446D-89E2-3AD36635AA9A.jpeg
A95F85C5-3EC0-446D-89E2-3AD36635AA9A.jpeg (152.59 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You're killing me, my man. MX tracks are the devil!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Too late to say "stay safe" out there. I raise a cup to your future arthritis. :-)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

SS109 wrote: 03:46 pm Jul 04 2022 You're killing me, my man. MX tracks are the devil!
I guess the speeds are higher, but I've certainly had my share of hard get-offs off road!
KDXGarage wrote: 04:56 am Jul 05 2022 Too late to say "stay safe" out there. I raise a cup to your future arthritis. :-)
I feel like guys like us who stay active and ride, actually avoid more health issues down the road. I see plenty of guy at the track in their late 60's, couple guys in their early 70's even, and they can still ride! I look at someone like my old man, who's lived a rather sedentary lifestyle, and indulges in a little too much alcohol, and he has difficulty walking up a long flight of stairs at 74 years of age!

Both of my crashes were, I feel, due to a lapse in my technique. No mechanical failures or anything. I've been working on really improving my body position lately so that I can become a safer rider both on the track and off road.
'00 KDX 220R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Did you end up getting some protection for your torso?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 09:29 am Jul 05 2022
SS109 wrote: 03:46 pm Jul 04 2022 You're killing me, my man. MX tracks are the devil!
I guess the speeds are higher, but I've certainly had my share of hard get-offs off road!
Very true. I know I've been hurt really bad off road but average speeds are much lower than most MX tracks. Plus, off road you normally don't have any do or die jumps. Higher speeds just mean a higher probability of a more serious injury when you do hit the dirt.
Slick_Nick wrote: 09:29 am Jul 05 2022 I feel like guys like us who stay active and ride, actually avoid more health issues down the road. I see plenty of guy at the track in their late 60's, couple guys in their early 70's even, and they can still ride! I look at someone like my old man, who's lived a rather sedentary lifestyle, and indulges in a little too much alcohol, and he has difficulty walking up a long flight of stairs at 74 years of age!

Both of my crashes were, I feel, due to a lapse in my technique. No mechanical failures or anything. I've been working on really improving my body position lately so that I can become a safer rider both on the track and off road.
Also very true. Staying physically active is very important and even more so as we get older. I very much want to still be riding in my 70's. That's why I have dialed down my aggression even in off road riding to help minimize potential injuries. Significant injuries add up and makes it that much harder when we're older to do even basic things.

My whole point is how much can your body take from you making mistakes before you have to give it up? I not saying to stop doing what you love (I know I don't want to!) but be smart about doing it. Play things on the safe side instead of maybe saying "I think I can make it" and just sending it.

Eh, sorry to sound like an old curmudgeon. Just want you to be safe, my friend, and only thinking about giving up riding when you're about to turn 80yo! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I raced a lot of MX a few years ago. I never hit a tree. :-)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I'm not one to just "send it" if Its something I don't think I can do. There are lots of guys who tend to ride way over their head, but I'm not one of them. By the time I attempt a new jump or feature, I'm confident in my ability to do it safely. The jump I broke my collarbone on was one I've hit smoothly hundreds of times over the years. Just a cross rut on landing that could have happened to anyone, and I guess I wasn't ready for it. The latest incident was due to poor judgement on my part, and trying a pass when I shouldn't have.

It's a high risk sport, I do everything in my power to minimize my risk, but things still happen. I'm glad to be back at it, with a fresh head, and some newfound respect for the bike and speeds at which we ride!
'00 KDX 220R
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

Two of the worst injuries I've had were low speed awkward fall overs. Once on a tree root and my foot got caught in the back wheel at full throttle on a bike that wasn't mine. Once on a rocky ledge after a jump up to an uneven area. I've had one higher speed wreck since I have been in my 60's. It takes longer to recover when you are older.
I'm with Nick on staying active.