keeping muscle as you age

Causes and cures...
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I'm 56 and have really noticed that I'm just not as strong as I used to be. I got my bike buried in a Missouri creek a week ago, up to the skidplate and I could not get it out. I pulled and pulled even used a limb that was about 4 inches in diameter as a lever and couldn't get it out. I ended up walking home about 3/4 mile (got lots of trails nearby) got my daughter to go with me and used my classic heald hauler 4 wheeler to pull it out. I think 10 years ago I could have jerked it loose from the muds grip. I wondered what, if anything you older guys are doing to improve your strength. I don't workout anymore, just seems like the older I get the busier I get. I'm tired of being tired. Need more energy. I don't believe the claims of all the stuff you here advertised. What do you guys think?
Bitteeinit

Re: keeping muscle as you age

Post by Bitteeinit »

Working out, even a simple bodyweight routine done at home, can help a lot. A lot of it is also leverage and where and how you grab the bike. I find the KDX is a bit hard to get a good grip on. Do you have a tug strap on the rear of the bike (towards the rear of the seat)? I'm around 30 so can't comment on getting to 50, but I'd think a small exercise regimen would help.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

52 here and been riding all my life. The only thing you can do is weight training to keep muscle. After age 60 you loose something like 3% per year. I run to keep my cardio up and lift weights 3 times a week for strength. You don't need anything fancy...push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, situps with no weight will do, thats what we did everytime I was deployed and it's quite effective. As far as bikes stuck in mud that deep (up to the axles) you have suction working against you, so using a big stick to try and get some air down around the wheels helps. I've had some luck just laying the bike on it's side and pulling it out that way as well. Best way is to have a buddy with you so you can both pull :grin:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I'm 57 so know what you're talking about.
You can do things (diet, vitamins, exercise, pure water, pure air, plenty of sleep, etc) to slow down the strength loss but you just have to accept that losing strength is just a normal part of aging. But if you do everything possible to fight it you can greatly slow down the loss.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

if time is a real problem you could try t25 or p90x something like that at home along with a good diet but working out will be the only way to maintain/build strength
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

60 here I was thinking of doing some yoga classes to also get some flexibility. Old guys don't bend very good!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I'm 67 and man, keeping strength up is an issue...but not only muscle strength but endurance. I went down a technical trail into a hole and failed to get the bike out up the hill the first try (it was a tough line) and after that things really went downhill...I completely went flat and even got sick to my stomach from fatigue trying to get out - it ended up taking me over an hour and I was shot for several days.

If I ride less than once a week, my muscle tone is gone...if I ride more than once a week I hurt too much to recover for the next ride, LOL...

Now I tend to ride shorter loops and keep fit with a handcycle, like the handicapped use. That thing doesn't beat me up and really beefs up the upper body and helps endurance. I bought it used but it was still expensive, but I think worth it to keep riding off-road.

The golden years, my arse.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

bufftester wrote:52 here and been riding all my life. The only thing you can do is weight training to keep muscle. After age 60 you loose something like 3% per year. I run to keep my cardio up and lift weights 3 times a week for strength. You don't need anything fancy...push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, situps with no weight will do, thats what we did everytime I was deployed and it's quite effective. As far as bikes stuck in mud that deep (up to the axles) you have suction working against you, so using a big stick to try and get some air down around the wheels helps. I've had some luck just laying the bike on it's side and pulling it out that way as well. Best way is to have a buddy with you so you can both pull :grin:
Unfortunately, for many of us older guys, weight training actually starts to harm the joints, especially those that have been injured. I can no longer run, bicycle, or do lifting as all those cause too much joint pain (but I'm older than most too). When I was in my 50's just riding a lot kept me in the best shape, along with hiking in hill country. At 50 I could still ride and do well in a 4.5 hour long off-road grand prix - enough so to finish ahead of most of the younger whipper-snappers! LOL....

I think each of us just needs to find an excercise method that is both enjoyable and relatively pain-free, that way you can stick with it over the long haul.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

kx200 wrote:60 here I was thinking of doing some yoga classes to also get some flexibility. Old guys don't bend very good!
I don't kick start standing from the ground anymore, that's for sure. :mrgreen: And parking my bike where I can bump start it is always on my mind.
Old.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Thanks for all the replies guys. You all answered what I really already new just wanted some confirmation. Kawagumby I know what you mean about riding to much or not enough. I rode a few 2 hour harescrambles last year and was just exhausted when I was done. On one harescramble when it was 90 and the humidity was 90% I only made one 8 mile loop because I fell on a hill and worked so hard trying to get up it. I actually went to a cardiologist because I was getting so out of breath riding. I told him I was riding harescrambles and the type of conditions we rode in. He didn't do any tests he just looked me over and said push yourself as hard as you want your body will let you know when to stop. I didn't know what to think about that, maybe that's why he had me sign that organ donor card :grin:
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

as you get older it is more important to workout harder for shorter periods of time . also have your T checked . It is like the fountain of youth in my case. My endurance as well as strength has sky rocketed in 6 months. Stretching is as important as anything.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

What's getting your "T" checked?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

testosterone. We don't make as much as we get older. it plays an important part in so many functions. I don't even have near as many aches and pains as I once did , and feel 25 years younger
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

webmd says: During puberty, testosterone helps build a man's muscles, deepens his voice, and boosts the size of his penis and testes. In adulthood, it keeps a man's muscles and bones strong and maintains his interest in sex.

They also recommend older men getting their levels of thyroid hormones checked.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

shoot im 32 and my muscle is 11 years older then I am

(thought the 360 that is in it is a 75, so only 7 or 8 years older then me)

wait, what?

not the muscle you were talking about ?

I guess I knew that...but today is the first day I fired that puppy up and I just had to share :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I like that muscle, I got a 72 twister (needs restored) it's orange and a 71 parts car some body tried to make into a race car.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

wait for it...................

Old people! :lol:

Rofl jus joking ill be there soon.

Although steroids or t levels is entirely different thing so people understand this. One raises what you have extremely and the other simply is a supplement to your existing levels. One is safe but has safety concerns and the other has potential long term side effects. Let me explain this further even with supplements you really don't guarantee that your just boosting your testosterone but also your estrogen levels. Ive seen guys go from mma to full blown oprah. No joke there is no regulation on supplements they come out too fast. With steroids if doctor scripted and in proper doses might be the pick you up to get you into a full workout training and size faster and help recover just once your into a good schedule and get some size back stop. One of the main concerns with long term steroid use is the heart. The heart is also a muscle and the veins going to the heart develop with the heart. Steroids stop and heart shrinks but the veins do not and you have to get a surgery to correct. (why you cant tell me Arnold didn't use steroids to win Mr. O he had the surgery)

I always said that proper training is where its at and listen to your body. The days of no pain no gain is out the door. Todays get the body ready to push it is the proper mode. Pushing a body not ready results in three days on the couch without ability to move and muscles sore everywhere ...........lactic acid. This severly hampers muscle growth and creates a plateau effect. At first you get some results but then just seem to become not increasing in size or strength. Everytime you lift you tear muscle. The tearing down and letting heal is the result of good building. Too much and the body reverts.

You don't get results from a gym. A gym is when you worked out some and go to hit on some ladies. A bench in your basement leaves you with you and the only one to impress is you. It also makes you not lie to yourself. Ive had many times where my ego got me to roll the bar down my chest after benching.

So start slow.....small workouts and time in between to rest and rebuild. You feel good hit it again. This I call the $#@& stage. Usually do this for a about a month or maybe two or longer for age. This could be something on the lines of what you had to do in gym class when young . 10 situps 10 pushups and whatnot. Your not on the couch but your not really working out yet. You get to the point where it seems like you need more.........THEN start with the weights. I often tell people this stage is a good time to go play on a play ground. Hit the monkey bars. Just have a bit of fun. Nothing serious.

When you get to the next stage your going to need a good training schedule. This conditions the body further and your still not at a state of pushing yourself either but merely breaking the body back in to a more routine training. This sets your mark level. Once again youll feel at some point your not progressing after a bit and well that puts you into the next mode of training. The push. If your older your going to want to stay in this mode of routine but mix it up ALOT! Where your doing the same amount of sets of bench but doing an entirely different workout for chest. Every week training but a different workout. This shocks the muscles into growing without the joint pain as much as lifting your maximum. If your heavy weight or want to lose some pounds this is the stage to do it and how is with cold. Training in a colder environment has proven with Olympic athletes to trick the body to use more body fat during the workout compared to working out in warmer weather.

Now if younger......the push! This is a very demanding part. The most important is proper diet and calories etc. This is where your supplements come in handy more. If your not in this stage of training your just going to get fat with em. This part Ill leave a bit empty because there is tons of talk and workouts about it but if you need a good workout schedule I have several notebooks with some for variety.

The BIGGEST thing to remember here is this. Most people expect results rapidly and when they don't get them they quit!

Read this again^^

Don't expect you or your body to be anywhere near "results" till about 6 months in. Youll be less likely to quit.

The pool after a workout is great and so is yoga. When younger you wouldn't of heard that from me but as time went by I simply got stiff and absolutely love yoga now.

Now Im 42 and have broken or torn just about every inch of my body. I broke both collar bones. Fractured both wrist. 1 broken rib and several fractured. Three broken noses. 17 stitches in chin and chin chipped. (added more later on kdx :boogie: ) Ive broken all of my fingers god knows how many times and once with four on one hand. Hyper extended knee. Ripped ligaments on ankles several times with the later ripping bones with it while they curled. Broke my tail bone (this was the worst imo because when it healed it was itchy and made me look a fool while scratching my ass.) But the point is everyone wanted me to hop into a workout schedule and it always ended with me not being able to continue or I just gave up. Going the slower route has been my go to and I listen to my body. Enough is enough and today I feel I can push it. The rewards come later but well worth it.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
natlie72

Post by natlie72 »

Everything changes with time. Nothing will be same in future as it is today. Anyways, I just found a huge list of celebrities with stds. You know Michael Jackson also was suffering form this disease. I couldn’t believe it until I searched more.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Hmmm working out.... "You can't pull fat, and I haven't pulled a muscle in years".... all about balance.
Does lifting food, bottles and cans to ones mouth count?

On my bike I have a pull strap across front forks (above Fender) and across seat (bolts) which help somewhat in those tight spots. But for the most part I'm facing the reality of being 53....and don't ride like I'm 23. I enjoy everyday exercise such as walks and working in yard etc, and even count riding my bike as exercise.....

Just happy to be riding still.... and on a KDX......
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

I'm late to this thread, and I'm a bit more than ten years behind OP so not quite dealing with the same issues (yet), but still had something I wanted to contribute. Consider an Airdyne bike. The are no-impact, and serve a dual purpose of cardio (via high intensity interval training, or HIIT) and strength (both arms and legs activated, again with no impact to your joints). 15-20 mins on an Airdyne can be like a trip to hell and back, the harder you push the more resistance it throws at you. Do this a couple times and week and you'll feel the difference. I think it's the maximum return with the minimum investment, and it won't kill your joints like jogging or even weight training can.

http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwinn_f ... irdyne.jsp

Colin