Down for the season

Causes and cures...
Doc76

Down for the season

Post by Doc76 »

Well I am not one who normally half asses anything and I am staying true to form. Over the winter I had decided to go from my older XR 200 to something in the two stroke world, got my hands on a great looking 92 KDX 250. It had been stored a while so a little work was needed but it ran well and after a little time and less money she was doing great. I had been out for maybe four or so real rides and countless little run arounds with my son, the bike was phenomenal. I work evenings so i am able to ride in the morning then go to work, also work and a large riding area are literally next door to each other. I had a laps in judgement and decided to go it alone one really nice Thursday morning (I know STUPID) it had been a particularly bad week. Shortly into my ride I hit a good set of whoops and decided to go around and hit them again> Going into them I goosed the throttle a little and heres where everything goes south. All i heard was that motor screaming away and accelerating so i clutch it and try to get to neutral while hitting the kill button. Thats all i remember before waking up about five feet in front of the bike at the end of those whoops. When i got up I was pretty sure I had either separated or broken my shoulder and probably broken a rib or two so i pick my bike up and try to start it and the kick start lever wont budge, pretty sure i locked up the top end. I cant ride it out so I'm pushing for what seems like forever when a nice guy on a quad and a friend of mine who had come out to help finally help me to get it out of the woods and on my truck. By now I am having a bit of trouble breathing and am worried that i may have collapsed a lung so i drive to the nearest ER luckily only a few miles away. Long story short, three broken vertebrae, four broken ribs, a broken shoulder blade, and I managed to totally destroy my spleen and lacerate the crap out of my liver. Needless to say my wife was PISSED. So I'm down for a while and I'm not allowed to buy any parts until the hospital are taken care of. Hopefully by the fall I can start wrenching on this rascal and be ready for next summer. By the way any suggestions on why the throttle might have stuck like that are helpfull. i will replace the cable and i had a fresh air filter I don't know what else would cause this but i foresee a total restoration in its future.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Down for the season

Post by SS109 »

Wow, that is one bad get off! :shock:

You said it just started screaming. That is normally an indication of a stuck throttle or a severe lean condition. Did you feel the throttle stick? Could you feel the throttle close? Check for binding of the throttle cable from it being worn and/or improper routing. Also, pull the carb and make sure the slide moves freely inside the carb body and that the needle is not bent. Kind of sounds more like a lean condition to me since the engine appears to be seized up (if it wasn't caused by the crash). Could you have ran out of fuel? Running out of fuel can cause a serious lean condition in which the motor will start to rev out of control. The plug gets so hot from the lean condition it literally glows and keeps the engine running even though you hit the kill switch. Carb boot in good shape? Check for seepage around the left crank seal behind the flywheel as it can also cause a lean condition.

Anyways, when you get to it you can always post up pics and describe what you find and I'm sure we can help get you back on the trail. As for yourself, take it easy and heal up! The bike will be there when your ready.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Down for the season

Post by canamfan »

man you must be tough to get up and walk away from that, hope you get well soon. I'd replace the throttle cable and check the throttle assy. for any binding, probably replace it too. good luck with your healing.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Down for the season

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW!! That is a tough way to go. I hope you heal well and soon.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Sorry man that sucks. I feel for you, I've been struggling with a back injury for the past couple years which has almost eliminated my ability to ride. Take it easy and take your time getting back at it.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Down for the season

Post by dfeckel »

Yikes! You got a pro racer's entire list of career injuries in one wipeout. Nice!

But seriously, I'm glad you were smart enough to get to the ER when you did. You could easily have died from internal hemorrhage because of the liver and spleen injuries. Happy you're still with us!

As far as the sticking throttle, you also need to check inside the carb for dirt. Also check the slide for wear--the chrome plating can wear through and then make it prone to sticking open. Also, make sure your cable retention pieces are all in place properly and that the needle is securely tightened to the slide. I like to safety wire the cable to the elbow on top of the carb so it doesn't dislodge and wedge into a position where the slide is opened.

Heal up soon!
David Eckel
Doc76

Post by Doc76 »

thanks for all well wishes, i think it was a worn slide that gt me. I looked at it and saw that it was worn but i thought ah its a twenty year old bike. I never thought that was an issue I lubed the cable and kept everything clean in the airbox. iIronically I was planning on changing slides anyway I just hadnt gotten to it yet. Funny how that stuff works, anyway thanks again.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, had a similar occurrence a few years ago. Tore the carb apart, found some dirt in the top of the slide where the cable attaches, but nothing to indicate it migrated lower. Routing was good, but when I twisted the throttle and released it wouldn't snap back. Finally realized that earlier I had replaced my bars, and while putting everything back together I had installed the brake MC between the throttle housing and the headlight switch (it is supposed to be throttle, headlight switch, MC) The MC was in a position that the lever throw adjusting screw was rubbing against the edge of the throttle tube and keeping it from closing. My dad always said the details are what kill you :neutral:
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Were you wearing a chest protector?