Wrecked my Right Knee

Causes and cures...
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by gsa102 »

I took my son to the Masontown, WV GNCC and we entered on memorial day weekend. My son did very well, 8 out of 20 in 65cc. I was getting into a groove with the KDX on the second lap when the front tire washed out on a root and twisted my knee under the bike. I knew something was hurt by the immediate pain, and that the knee was unstable when a couple spectators helped me up. I walked it off for a few minutes and fired the bike up, and crept along the last half lap to the finish. I was NOT taking it back off of the peg for anything! I wrapped the knee up immediately, and started packing up. When we got home I could barely move it and had to get my brother-in-law to come unload the bikes.

Go to the doc - the MRI shows a torn ACL and MCL. On July 12th, I had a piece of my hamstring threaded through and stapled to each bone to replace the ACL. The MCL will heal on its own. Home the same day. I can walk on my own, but I am dealing with minor pain - like a pinch - and swelling while it heals. It sucks to have to ride the couch all summer, i am really bummed out about not being able to ride. But I get to focus on my boy racing for the peewee overall championship in our racing series! He is racing one other kid for the title and it could go to either one. I just wish I could ride with him to help him train. Here he is at the GNCC:

My very first thought when I went down and realized I hurt my knee was "I hope I can ride again." I am pretty sure I will be able to ride, but racing may be done...

If anyone has any questions about knee surgery, feel free to ask. I am now an expert, particularly in the ACL repair area. And my father has had both knees replaced in the last year.

Side note - GNCCs are really crowded There were 350 bikes on a 12 mile course when I ran. I saw one guy get life-flighted out, so I don't feel so bad. Over 1200 machines between bikes and quads over the weekend. The utvs are really fun to watch. I got a free tire that a pro threw out, like new to me.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by gsa102 »

Here is the Knee. Two inch incision below the knee, two tiny incisions on the knee itself. It's amazing what doctors can do. It wasn't as pretty three weeks ago the day after surgery. Oh, and he said he took out 30% of the meniscus because it was torn,too.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by dfeckel »

I am just now able to ride again after arthroscopic knee surgery in June 1 st. I had a meniscus tear from two separate injuries, one in November and the other in March. Six weeks off the bike was hard to take! I'm sorry you had the ligament tears...they definitely take longer to rehab than simple meniscectomies. Look at the Brit side...you'll probably get a sweet knee brace paid for by your insurance!
David Eckel
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by CoronasAndChips »

Hope you recover quick!
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
the machinist
Supporting Member

Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by the machinist »

God speed on your rehab!
-Matt
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by gsa102 »

Thanks, Guys, and I did get a fancy aluminum Donjoy Knee Brace. Just waiting for the swelling to stay down to where I can wear it all the time like I need to. It swells up around it now. Maybe I can talk to doc into a motocross brace... :hmm:

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
uncle rich

Re: Wrecked my Right Knee

Post by uncle rich »

Unfortunately, they are never the same. take care of it and stay in as good a shape as possible. Good luck to you and your son . -Rich