Anyone have bar risers on their SR model?

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
Tokyotim

Anyone have bar risers on their SR model?

Post by Tokyotim »

Hey guys I’m a 6’2” rider and I always add bar risers (well not me but a mechanic) to my bike to make it more comfortable. My KDX feels extra extra low for some reason (stock bar height very low?). I’m going to order some Renthal RC high bend bars but it does not look like I can add bar risers onto this bike because of the speedometer. Sorry if this is a dumb question I’m not very mechanically inclined, and I’ve always had someone else work on my bikes, because I am always traveling. It seems like the speedometer will block bar riser installation assuming I could even find bar risers for this model. Here is a video I made. https://youtube.com/shorts/Q8Yx2mY1oYY? ... 4aSPqDan0j
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone have bar risers on their SR model?

Post by bufftester »

It will bolt to the top cap after the risers are installed, moving the speedo unit up so that it will still be in the same position relative to the crossbar
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Tim most bar risers come with longer bolts to mount to the bar mount but in your case you will still have to find longer front bolts again, the front bolts in your case are 15mm longer than the rear for the Speedo/tach mount, once you get the risers purchase 2 15mm longer bolts and they should work for the speedo/tach mount Eg: if the new bolt with the risers are 50mm long you will have to buy 2 bolts 65mm long for the front mount, maybe even more as some of them cheap out and give the minimum length bolt that will hold..
Make sure to check if you have enough length in the cables, throttle, clutch, speedo/tach and electronics for the extra height, just high bend bars should be good as most of us I think run them just not sure about with risers..

rear clamp bolt Item #92150B part # 92153-1519 is a 8x30mm bolt and front clamp bolt item #92150C part # 92150-1456 in a 8x45mm bolt

Impex is a excellent for finding parts breakdowns in Japan, also try Webike, I have dealt with Webike for dozens of OEM parts orders and they have some nice aftermarket stuff also, Can also try Megazip

https://en.impex-jp.com/catalogs/moto/k ... 91937.html

https://japan.webike.net/

https://www.megazip.net/
02 KDX220
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

unless the previous replies know something i don't you can't just move it up or install longer bolts, the instrument cluster is bolted and supported at the front of the top triple clamp as can be seen in the photo, the 2 mounting points that bolt to the risers are there to position it,not to support it thats why they are rubber damped and if you just use those points they will snap as can be seen in my photo, its possible you could make up a new lower mounting bracket but as you raise the instrument cluster it also brings it closer to the front of the triple clamp due to the angle of the risers, anything is possible i guess but you will need to be in contact with a skilled fabricator, also you will need to know how much slack is available in the speedo cable, my guess is much less than 2 inches
Attachments
194046.jpg
194046.jpg (169.9 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

kdxdazz wrote: 07:55 pm Nov 02 2023 unless the previous replies know something i don't you can't just move it up or install longer bolts, the instrument cluster is bolted and supported at the front of the top triple clamp as can be seen in the photo, the 2 mounting points that bolt to the risers are there to position it,not to support it thats why they are rubber damped and if you just use those points they will snap as can be seen in my photo, its possible you could make up a new lower mounting bracket but as you raise the instrument cluster it also brings it closer to the front of the triple clamp due to the angle of the risers, anything is possible i guess but you will need to be in contact with a skilled fabricator, also you will need to know how much slack is available in the speedo cable, my guess is much less than 2 inches
Thank you for pointing out my mistake and sorry, unfortunately all we got on the 220R was a single little trip meter that mounted to the top bar clamp so it could easily be moved around, was trying to work off that never seeing the 220SR cluster lower mount..
02 KDX220
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Thanks for the detailed replies guys I will just try some RC high bars and see if that’s enough I feel VERY stooped over when standing on the bike
Bej

Post by Bej »

I am also 6 2 and I fitted these. The work well and made it much more comfortable for me to ride
Attachments
20240324_175506.jpg
20240324_175506.jpg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 141 times
20240324_175454.jpg
20240324_175454.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 141 times
20240324_175445.jpg
20240324_175445.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 141 times