My 1995 KDX220SR has finally arrived Oct 2023

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
Tokyotim

My 1995 KDX220SR has finally arrived Oct 2023

Post by Tokyotim »

Hey guys I made a post before but the bike was at my mechanic for a hot minute but it’s finally in my hands I received delivery today! I am an American living in Japan and I just bought a 1995 KDX220SR Japan Street legal model. It had 3,000KM on the clock and is amazing condition for an old bike. If you have any requests about photos of something or measurements you would like I will do my best, however, I live in a tiny Japanese apartment with absolutely zero tools of any kind. I am working on making contacts with Japanese mechanics that have worked on these bikes and also speak English. I have a YouTube channel that I will be making some fun videos with the KDX exploring Japan and eventually doing some hard enduro. Here is my Google drive with my photos and videos so far, I have to work a lot the next couple weeks but I hope to get a few videos this weekend and take it to the beach with my drone for some overhead riding footage. In case I take a while and forget to check this post since I don’t receive notifications unless I open this site, you can message me on Instagram @TheRealTokyotim

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... vVVCZBoMH6
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My 1995 KDX220SR has finally arrived Oct 2023

Post by John_S »

I love this bike and looking forward to following along. The mechanic is doing a nice job getting it squared away. The tank looks awesome.
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

He was making me pull my hair out he told me the bike would be ready In a couple weeks and that turned into two months but I can tell he put a lot of effort. Bike runs like a sewing machine. I am not far from MtFuji so I will try to do a photo shoot there soon
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it back.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

now thats a beautiful looking SR model,real collectors bike,wish mine was in the same condition when i bought it.
from a fellow SR owner if i may suggest avoid any advice where people tell you to open up airboxes,bigger carbs, throw away the oil pump, the SR is already a superior bike than the R model for its intended purpose, my favourite thing abour the SR is the gear ratios, super low first gear and a tall top gear,makes everyday riding and super steep slopes a pleasure
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

kdxdazz wrote: 06:17 am Oct 29 2023 now thats a beautiful looking SR model,real collectors bike,wish mine was in the same condition when i bought it.
from a fellow SR owner if i may suggest avoid any advice where people tell you to open up airboxes,bigger carbs, throw away the oil pump, the SR is already a superior bike than the R model for its intended purpose, my favourite thing abour the SR is the gear ratios, super low first gear and a tall top gear,makes everyday riding and super steep slopes a pleasure
Yes sir all I am doing is full FMF pipe on it, jet kit, get the suspension tuned for my weight, changed the cast piston, skid plate, better tires
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Hi guys, I am about to do a little parts order from the US to Japan for my kdx and had a couple questions before I placed the order as I won’t be able to send anything back. Here’s what I am ordering

1. Dunlop d606 120/90x18 rear

2. Dunlop pirelli mt21 front 90/90x21

(These should be the KDX220 converted sizes according to the tires that are currently on it which say 4.60-18 and 3.00-21). Should I go up a size on the rear? Not worth the power robbery? This is the tire combo I run on my dual sports I like it a lot I don’t care how the bike performs on the street I want max off road prowess but street legal. Other than cruising Japanese bars waving at pretty girls at 10mph I want to ride off road as much as possible

3. FMF Gnarly pipe FMF website 020056 DESERT PIPE (SELECTED 1998 KDX FITMENT)

4. FMF turbine core 2 with SA (SELECTED 1998 KDX220R FITMENT)

5. Kawasaki KDX220R Wiseco Piston Kit – 69.00 Mm Bore SKU 750M06900

6. JD JET KIT JDKA03 – Kawasaki KDX200 (95-06) KDX220 (97-05) (does it matter my carb is only 28mm for SR version? Are the jets the same for both size carbs?)

7. Aluminum KDX skid plate from steahlyoffroad B-217 (made by Ricochet)

8. PER JAPANESE MECHANIC WHO BUILT UP A KDX220SR HE SAID AND QUOTE “The FMF pipe fits KDX220SR. However, to install it you will need Kawasaki part number 11009-1995 and two 92144-1035.” WILL ORDER TO BE SAFE

After a money recovery period I will then go get the suspension done up real nice for my weight springs oil rebuild the whole works
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thats good that the tech knew that you needed other pieces to make the pipe work. I was about to write that the mounting is different so I didn't think it was possible.
The JD jetting kit worked excellent for my 33 and 35 carb. I don't have knowledge of the 28 but off hand I would say don't order it without either contacting JD or doing some research first.
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with everything else. When you replace the piston you might as well change out the reed petals so those are fresh also.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Tokyotim wrote: 01:13 pm Oct 30 2023 Hi guys, I am about to do a little parts order from the US to Japan for my kdx and had a couple questions before I placed the order as I won’t be able to send anything back. Here’s what I am ordering

(These should be the KDX220 converted sizes according to the tires that are currently on it which say 4.60-18 and 3.00-21). Should I go up a size on the rear? Not worth the power robbery? This is the tire combo I run on my dual sports I like it a lot I don’t care how the bike performs on the street I want max off road prowess but street legal. Other than cruising Japanese bars waving at pretty girls at 10mph I want to ride off road as much as possible

6. JD JET KIT JDKA03 – Kawasaki KDX200 (95-06) KDX220 (97-05) (does it matter my carb is only 28mm for SR version? Are the jets the same for both size carbs?)

8. PER JAPANESE MECHANIC WHO BUILT UP A KDX220SR HE SAID AND QUOTE “The FMF pipe fits KDX220SR. However, to install it you will need Kawasaki part number 11009-1995 and two 92144-1035.” WILL ORDER TO BE SAFE

i would hold off on that order as i see so many flaws,surprised it hasn't been mentioned, that rear tyre size is huge and not suitable for the kdx, standard size is 100/100/18 or 4 inch equivalent,ordering tyres from the US seems like a huge waste of money too, surely japan has tyres to choose from and make sure you choose the appropriate tread pattern for your terrain, i use trials tyres as can be seen in my latest video but i chose that because all my riding is in the dry season and i encounter lots of rocks riding through river beds, also i am avery light guy and the flexible carcass of a trails tyre smooths everything out

you cannot use the fmf desert pipe, that pipe is designed for high RPM yet you are running a carb that is designed for low RPM, you will need the fmf gnarly

jd jetting kit will not fit your keihn PE 28mm and in terms of jetting you will be on your own, ive never seen anybody on the internet being proficient at jetting the keihin PE on a kdx220 not even myself as i don't have any jetting time on this carb but i will say your emulsion tube will need to be checked and/or replaced but that emulsion tube is out of production,i ordered the kdx200sr emulsion tube but i have no idea of the difference and is yet untested, the keihin PE uses an adjustable emulsion tube and ive never encountered anybody that has knowledge on the specs for a kdx, i would not order any needles or jets until you have completed your pipe install then hope and pray you can find somebody proficient in jetting,or factory jetting was on the rich side and the fmf pipe brings it back in to alignment

wiseco piston kit also seems like a waste since you are already in japan and the factory piston could be ordered directly but yes i understand it is a flawed design and my theory and practice of carefully deburring it is yet unproven,also if you are going to order a forged piston i would consider the wossener as its offered in 3 different oversizes but you would need to measure your bore first to see which one is appropriate,
everything is about details and you are in the deep end :)

if anybody sees any flaws in my suggestions please comment too as i wrote this in haste
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

John_S wrote: 03:47 pm Oct 30 2023 Thats good that the tech knew that you needed other pieces to make the pipe work. I was about to write that the mounting is different so I didn't think it was possible.
The JD jetting kit worked excellent for my 33 and 35 carb. I don't have knowledge of the 28 but off hand I would say don't order it without either contacting JD or doing some research first.
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with everything else. When you replace the piston you might as well change out the reed petals so those are fresh also.

Here’s a video I recorded for the other gentleman that asked to see the mount https://youtube.com/shorts/Vxug3d5iJbE? ... l7buw9GLX7
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

kdxdazz wrote: 08:38 pm Oct 30 2023
Tokyotim wrote: 01:13 pm Oct 30 2023 Hi guys, I am about to do a little parts order from the US to Japan for my kdx and had a couple questions before I placed the order as I won’t be able to send anything back. Here’s what I am ordering

i would hold off on that order as i see so many flaws,surprised it hasn't been mentioned, that rear tyre size is huge and not suitable for the kdx, standard size is 100/100/18 or 4 inch equivalent,ordering tyres from the US seems like a huge waste of money too, surely japan has tyres to choose from and make sure you choose the appropriate tread pattern for your terrain, i use trials tyres as can be seen in my latest video but i chose that because all my riding is in the dry season and i encounter lots of rocks riding through river beds, also i am avery light guy and the flexible carcass of a trails tyre smooths everything out

you cannot use the fmf desert pipe, that pipe is designed for high RPM yet you are running a carb that is designed for low RPM, you will need the fmf gnarly

jd jetting kit will not fit your keihn PE 28mm and in terms of jetting you will be on your own, ive never seen anybody on the internet being proficient at jetting the keihin PE on a kdx220 not even myself as i don't have any jetting time on this carb but i will say your emulsion tube will need to be checked and/or replaced but that emulsion tube is out of production,i ordered the kdx200sr emulsion tube but i have no idea of the difference and is yet untested, the keihin PE uses an adjustable emulsion tube and ive never encountered anybody that has knowledge on the specs for a kdx, i would not order any needles or jets until you have completed your pipe install then hope and pray you can find somebody proficient in jetting,or factory jetting was on the rich side and the fmf pipe brings it back in to alignment

wiseco piston kit also seems like a waste since you are already in japan and the factory piston could be ordered directly but yes i understand it is a flawed design and my theory and practice of carefully deburring it is yet unproven,also if you are going to order a forged piston i would consider the wossener as its offered in 3 different oversizes but you would need to measure your bore first to see which one is appropriate,
everything is about details and you are in the deep end :)

if anybody sees any flaws in my suggestions please comment too as i wrote this in haste

So the tire size is the ones my mechanic put on for me (he chose them) that’s what’s on there right now, did he put too big of a tire? He works on dirt bikes a lot so I assumed he knew what he was doing but hell idk. I couldn’t seem to find this tire combo that wasn’t double the price, I have access to military mail so sending stuff here is cheap and no customs. I just can’t return stuff without a huge hassle. I thought I read in a forum post here that the pipes do the OPPOSITE of what they say for the KDX, so you wanted the desert pipe but was that because of the 35mm carb? So I want the woods pipe for the 28mm carb? I will hold off on the jet kit. I mentioned in another forum I have been in contact with a Japanese mechanic who races 2 strokes and he built up my exact bike with full FMF system so I can contact him for jetting advice. He is 3 hours from me. Maybe he can find me an emulsion tube as well. The wiseco (another member mentioned I needed exactly that PN for this bike) I am throwing in cause this will be one big box from the USA and I don’t pay much for shipping so not a huge deal. Thanks for the replies!
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

I woke up to this today I can never just enjoy my new toys lol. I didnt ride anywhere crazy just around the bar district. I guess my 240lb ass broke a seal or something on the real shock. I’m sure it needed rebuilt anyway and it was on my to do list but was hoping to ride it a couple weeks before I took it to the suspension shop https://youtube.com/shorts/jkUPZV0gZbU? ... GQB7NoKkP6