What’s this ???

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

What’s this ???

Post by jstcraig »

I promise that when I find out which model and series this is and get the relevant manual I will stop asking silly questions, well I figured out how to edit a post [emoji1303][emoji1303]. Would I be right in saying that this is part of the mechanism for the automated oil/fuel mixing. I believe there are other posts about premix vs auto mixing so off I go to seek the knowledge of the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What’s this ???

Post by Julien D »

Yes, that's your oil pump I believe.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look on the F or G parts diagrams. Probably two stroke auto injection pump related. We never had that in the USA, so many of us have never seen it in person.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

[quote="Jason"]Look on the F or G parts diagrams. Probably two stroke auto injection pump related. We never had that in the USA, so many of us have never seen it in person.[/

Will do, I intend to remove it and just do premix, like in a another post less chance of a part failure ruining a weekend ride.

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

From what I have seen and been told you may not want to remove it completely as it connects through the case half to a gear that is driven off the idler under the clutch pack. I would remove the oil line from the pump and the carb and then plug it at both ends but leave the pump in place. Just my .02$
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

bufftester wrote:From what I have seen and been told you may not want to remove it completely as it connects through the case half to a gear that is driven off the idler under the clutch pack. I would remove the oil line from the pump and the carb and then plug it at both ends but leave the pump in place. Just my .02$
Yep the pump body looks to be part of the crankcase, so rubber bungs and remove the cable

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If the oil injection works properly, KEEP IT! It's a much better method than premix, as the amount of oil being injected varies not only by RPM, but by throttle position as well. IE: very little oil needed or injected at idle, but plenty at high RPM WOT. I have a 71 Kawi 250 with oil injection, and it's a beautiful thing.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Good point, and also why all the new KTMs and Huskys come with pumps and oil tanks.
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Julien D wrote:If the oil injection works properly, KEEP IT! It's a much better method than premix, as the amount of oil being injected varies not only by RPM, but by throttle position as well. IE: very little oil needed or injected at idle, but plenty at high RPM WOT. I have a 71 Kawi 250 with oil injection, and it's a beautiful thing.
Quite ok with keeping it if it works, so any ideas on what to look for in regards to working properly, this is my return to 2 strokes since the late 70s Kx and Rm’s such simple times lol