Bart attacks!

Problems or Questions on General Forum Usage go in Here. (not bike related)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Maybe it's time for a Mac Jerry? :wink:

Wonder if Okie is behind this?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There must be something on my PC that tells it to redirect any image from the KDX site to the bart link. How to find it, I don't know. It does the same for windows internet explorer and for firefox. Only on my home pc. Grrr.. Okie? I don't see how.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Worked for me. Possibly restore defaults under internet properties>advanced?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

First I deleted all the firefox historys and such. Then I deleted and reinstalled firefox; still the same.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If you can see what you are doing google Trend Micro House call. Run the virus and spyware checker. I betcha a cold one it will find threats. http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp I can't guarantee it will fix Bart but it's def. worth a try.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Above link must be run in IE.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Does firefox use internet explorer to access the internet, so if you were to uininstall IE would firefox still work?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm pretty sure you can't remove IE properly in XP anyway. It still stays, it just removes the icons I believe.

motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220PHIL wrote:Does firefox use internet explorer to access the internet, so if you were to uininstall IE would firefox still work?
Firefox is completely seperate from IE in other words they don't depend on each other to run.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3, what version of IE are you running?

It sounds like you need to run a virus scan, checkdisk, scandisk, something. :grin: How long have you been running on the current installation of Windows 98?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

How do you know he's running 98 ?? Just curious if I missed it somewhere. Jerry, KDXquebec,,,, Please RUN the link I provided in Internet Explorer and let me know how many threats it finds. I run it almost weekly and it always finds threats.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I just found these;

Virus Check 2 virus(es) deleted
- 2 virus(es) deleted, 0 virus(es) undeletable

Spyware Check 6 spyware programs removed

- 6 spyware(s) removed, 0 spyware(s) unremovable
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by KDXer on 04:01 pm Nov 02 2005, edited 1 time in total.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

POUR DOWN CENTER!!

Nah, he told me.

KAY DEE EXER: You need to stop hitting the questionable content sites, if you are getting that many hits. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Awww do I haaaaave tooooo ??!!?? :shh:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Remove the Temporary Internet files too... not just cookies and history. It always calls on the temp files first to load a page.

Jerry, I am really sorry for the problems your having. I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with this type of security.

Always check for updates of your software and I can send you XP if you want it. :wink: But note this... you cannot upgrade 98 to XP. It must be a clean install.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good grief! Where did all this hulaballoo come from, anyway?

I read a whole lot of thrashing around what seems to be a simple truth of the matter...but no one says anything about it.

Things that seem simple in such ways generally turn out to be completely misunderstood (by me)...but, may I ask a couple of questions?

First...everyone is clear on what Inda's purpose/intent is on the bartbutt, right? He can tell where requests for data are coming from. If they come from anyplace other than his site he blocks the request. When you are on the KDXRider site and 'request' graphic data..he sees that data request as coming from himself.

But....if you post a link on your own home page to something that is on KDXRider, you get the butt. He sees that data request as coming from outside KDXRider.

The reasons for this are obvious, correct? First off..that it would be done anyway surpasses my understanding...but that is secondary. Every link to this site from some other site effectively takes a dime out of Inda's pocket. You are making him pay for the makeup/content/info on some other site. It's basically theft. That's pretty straightforward, ain't it? Sorry...but should be (or should have been) common knowledge.

Ski: Everything works at work. You are using IE6-something there? And nothing works at home. You are using FireFox there? What does IE do? The same?

Are you using a proxy? A proxy is generally used as a privacy device...so no one can see you..they see only the proxy. Seems to me Inda would see that as someone other than you using the site...and therefore you would get the butt.

Inda: You don't support proxy use...do you?

Checking for new content when you visit the page (meaning it won't show from cache if there is something new to show) shouldn't have any effect on this. Inda won't see that as coming from someplace else.

So...let's review:

FireFox and IE work the same? **edit** Sorry I see now you said that already

Why FireFox anyway?

Proxy in use?

Ha! Being 'gold' has its disadvantages don't it?

BTW...KayD...Nice (although not rated for general public use!) avatar!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:51 pm Nov 02 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A couple other things if I may:

Adware (SpyWare, Malware..whatever you want to call it) is not uncommonly bogus about now. You can run three different scans from different places..and you will get three different results.

Some products will show a 'threat' that isn't even on your computer...but they WILL take your money to 'remove' it.

Any 'virus removed' result is also likely bogus. Viri aren't something 'in' some 'place' from which they can likely easily be 'removed'. They are programs that do something...have a payload. This 'payload' can be anything from showing you Bart's butt to rebooting your machine to formatting your hard drive. Most 'removal's will involve changes to keys/new keys entered into the system registry, removal of the basic source of the infection (the .exe (program) or script that started the process), and putting the kibosh on alternate data streams that the culprit started (system32abcd.exe).

The PAYLOAD of an already executed virus is likely NOT something that is going to be merely 'removed'. Once the damage is done it's either restore from a previously executed restore point (XP), system backup (a handy utility from MicroSoft that backs up the registry, system and user files) or a full reload from CD. NOT a 'fix' reload (loading over what's already there) but a reload to a formatted, wiped hard drive.

BTW...some PCs (Compaq does this) has a system backup partition. Using their software (usually on a bootable CD) you can backup the entire active partition to the backup partition. Likewise...using that same bootable CD, you can restore your active partition from the backup.

Obviously, that's only worthwhile if the backup is relatively current. Doing a restore from last year's backup is probably a waste of time.

The point: Protect yourself!!! Backup your machine and back it up often. Use a known good antivirus software package and keep it up to date! If you downloaded your antivi for free off the web somewheres...I'll bet it's worth every penny you paid for it! Nada!

Do I follow my own advice? Nope. :roll: I used to use Symantec Ghost to clone my working hard drive to a second drive once a week. Since my system disk developed errors on it that Ghost won't handle...I haven't backed my working drive up in months! Yep...I'm an idiot.

I would have to reload from scratch onto a new drive to get around that problem. Seeing as that is what I'll have to do when I get bit (it will happen)...I'm saving the joy!! :wink:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Proxy is supported. I am behind a proxy at work and run a DHCP server at home with no problems. Only Jerry is having this issue with this site is suspect. He needs to upgrade his browser, set this site as a trusted site. Others on here use Firefox without issues.. I know, I have the data.

BTW... I was going to change KD's avatar to "BASSHAT" and put a bass on top of his head!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You mean...like this??

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:h ... onals.com/

oops...too late. ;)
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:48 pm Nov 02 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:partyman:
Last edited by KDXer on 10:48 pm Nov 02 2005, edited 1 time in total.