Cylinder bad?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cylinder bad?

Post by Mnolan660r »

Hey folks,

So the other day I was out doing the “monthly start and yard putt” on a 1997 kdx200, and I noticed a few things: it was hard to start. (New issue) and it wouldn’t idle real well. It was also making a new intermittent loud “knock”. So one thing lead to another, and I completely tore it down to just the frame. My question is this: the picture of the cylinder looks like it is pitted. I can’t feel anything w/ my finger, all feels smooth.
Looking for opinions from those w/ more experience, for a direction to go w/ this.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6369.jpeg
IMG_6369.jpeg (461.54 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Cylinder bad?

Post by Kawibunga »

From the pics, that looks like it sure could use replating......... just my two cents. But that's definitely not a nice new shiny cross hatch for sure!
Go Riders!
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cylinder bad?

Post by Mnolan660r »

Yeah, that’s the conclusion that I came up with also. I had one company look at it, and the guy told me that he thought the “spots” were from detonation. I measured the bore w/ a bore gauge, in multiple spots, and it seems like the bore is round and not tapered, so I’m just going to send it in for a re-plate and fit a new piston.