Judder Springs with aftermarket basket

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Judder Springs with aftermarket basket

Post by John_S »

I have a ProX basket with an oem clutch and springs on an 02 220. I can't remember whether or not I installed the judder springs. My clutch drags more than I'd like it to and the inner clutch hub didn't have heavy notches. I'm going to pull it back apart for a look but what's the general consensus on whether to run them or not?

It currently has one washer on the push rod and I have another to install if that has anything to do with clutch release. It seems like the pushrod washers just make a difference on how much you need to adjust the cable, but I don't know for sure.

I run Maxima 80wt but have also ran Type F and Honda 10-40 and it all seems the same with the clutch drag. It's enough that if I stop on the trail I have to blip the throttle every few seconds or put it in neutral. This issue has been there with the old stock basket with Tusk clutch and even now with the new basket and OEM clutch.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Judder Springs with aftermarket basket

Post by bufftester »

The push rod washer is basically a preload spacer, more to make up for slight differences in clearances and cable lengths. Have you measured your clutch springs and made sure they are still in spec? Same for your frictions and steels. The judder spring is there to smooth out clutch engagement under load. I have run both with and without and honestly on a small displacement bike you can't really tell much difference. If you feel the drag is worse than expected try using the 2nd push rod spacer. That will effectively move the clutch plates a bit farther apart and should alleviate the issue. The fine line is that you don't have so much preload that the clutch then doesn't fully engage and you end up with clutch slippage. As far as on the trail, every KDX I have owned or ridden behaved like that, as well as most other 2Ts. My sons RMX doesn't even like being kicked with the clutch pulled in. Some bikes are worse than others.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you for the info as always. I’ll get it apart pretty soon and try that 2nd washer. I’m hoping to make it just a little better than it is. The drag has been there since the ProX basket was new and so were the OEM springs and clutch. I was disappointed that it felt exactly the same as my notched stock basket and old aftermarket clutch.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I never use judder springs, provides for quicker engagement.
'00 KDX 220R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Judder Spring Ode

My judder spring stuttered
So I lubricated it with butter
I once tried honey
But that just made it stucker

???