KDX220 Jetting and Smoke

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Swanpuppy

KDX220 Jetting and Smoke

Post by Swanpuppy »

Hello all. I am a new member here and did an intro thread of my new KDX220 and first 2 stroke. The bike was completely stock, I rebuilt the top end, added boyesen power reeds, fresh air filter and removed the snorkel. The bike pops first kick, but the idle was a bit low so I worked on the screw and am 2.5 turns out where it would idle when cold. Before the top end rebuild it wouldn't idle and there was a lot of splooge. 40:1 mix. Bike wheelies in 3 gears easily after break in but when warm will die when coming to a stop.

1. I believe factory jets are 145/42 and from my reading the bike is rich from the factory. With the reeds and snorkel removed this should help. I think a 40 pilot would help further?

2. This is my first 2 stroke, but after a WOT there is a haze of smoke behind me? I assume this is not normal? I have a jet block gasket on order and will watch the transmission oil level. Would this also possibly be a rich jetting scenario?

3. Does anyone have a link to a jet kit from amazon that is known to work with the stock carb? I have a ride coming up soon and I want to get this dialed in with fastest delivery possible. This is what I believe would work.

4. The gas tank has a hole in it. I tried plastic welding with similar plastic and it didn't hold. I put an epoxy patch over it temporarily, but does anyone have a product that can work with our tanks to seal the hole when the epoxy fails?

Thanks all, looking forward to getting this restored and on the trails.
smelonas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX220 Jetting and Smoke

Post by smelonas »

1. I believe factory jets are 145/42 and from my reading the bike is rich from the factory. With the reeds and snorkel removed this should help. I think a 40 pilot would help further?
42 pilot should be close, if you have response issues with the bottom end try a 40. Not every bike is even remotely the same, I have had bikes that refused to run what everyone else was running. The air-lean 5.0 slide cutaway really is hard to work with. A #7 or 8 is really what you should aim for.

2. This is my first 2 stroke, but after a WOT there is a haze of smoke behind me? I assume this is not normal? I have a jet block gasket on order and will watch the transmission oil level. Would this also possibly be a rich jetting scenario?
If the bike is loaded up from the previous owner, it can take like 20 minutes of hard riding to clean out the head/cylinder and exhaust system of the unburnt oil. How heavy is the haze? Smoke is better than no smoke. If you have been lugging it for a minute or two, its common for it to belch as you plow through the gears right after.

3. Does anyone have a link to a jet kit from amazon that is known to work with the stock carb? I have a ride coming up soon and I want to get this dialed in
I personally wont buy anything other than OEM jets for any carb, keihin or mikuni or whatever as the tolerance is so low for error that its just not worth it. Buy that kit and you try a 150 and its super rich and then try the 145 and then its so lean it damn near seizes the engine. These are the troubles I have heard of with aftermarket jets, even Pro-x. Just best to stick to OEM and know what you are getting into. KTM parts catalogs have the jets at the best prices I have been able to find. Be careful as KTM used Mikuni for a few later years..

4. Plastic reflowing works well with a soldering iron, some hot glue and some grafted material if you can find any. Otherwise, Clarke mfg makes new tanks.

Great bikes and worth fixing up. This forum is the place to be if you want to do just that.
2003 KDX200 - Second Owner - KX Forks - Odometer intact - FRP shock valving - PC exhaust - Kickstand and handguards intact
Lubbock Trail Rider Member since 2021
NV200 2019, 2021, 2022

The lack of a like function on this forum is disturbing.

TX300i in my sights :tonqe:
Swanpuppy

Post by Swanpuppy »

Thanks for the response! I will get some miles on the new top end before adjusting too much in case its just build up in the exhaust.

I will have to look for OEM jets. Would there be anywhere on here that calls out OEM part numbers I can search with?
smelonas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by smelonas »

Use rockymountainatvmc for parts fiches. Partzilla is nice as well with the pictures, but they dont carry euro parts.

I just looked at a 2016 ktm 250 SX fiche and they have an assortment of mains and pilots for keihin PWKs that will be about the right size for our KDXs. just go in there, get your part numbers and either buy from RMATV or another source. My local dealership gives the local MC club members OEM parts at cost basically, so I order from them typically. Might see if yours does the same.
2003 KDX200 - Second Owner - KX Forks - Odometer intact - FRP shock valving - PC exhaust - Kickstand and handguards intact
Lubbock Trail Rider Member since 2021
NV200 2019, 2021, 2022

The lack of a like function on this forum is disturbing.

TX300i in my sights :tonqe:
302220KDX

Post by 302220KDX »

I have a IMS tank in good condition would let go on the cheap natural with white side panels
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jets R Us for your carb needs. Very responsive and best prices you're going to find for OEM. Have used them for many years and never been disappointed or burned. My only gripe with them is they still use pay pal for their payment engine which sucks IMO/IME. Sudco is also a good source though I haven't personally used them.
Swanpuppy

Post by Swanpuppy »

Excellent, I may order a few sizes in case I need more tuning. 302220KDX, not sure if this site has PMs as im new, but if you want to share the info on the tank that may be something I look into if my recent patch doesn't hold.