FMF Turbine Core Leak at the bracket

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

FMF Turbine Core Leak at the bracket

Post by John_S »

This is the second silencer to develop a leak on the front bracket where the silencer bolts to the frame. Its on the weld that holds the bracket and I didn't crash or beat that bracket to repack it. Its small but it'll leave a long drip running down the stinger. I've asked around locally about getting it welded and they wanted over $100 to fix it so I bought a new one. The old one leaked a lot. I just noticed the new one doing it Saturday. I tried JB weld and orange RTV on the old one but it leaked through. Any other products that would seal the small leak on this new one?

I don't think that would change the way it runs but I could be wrong. What do you guys think?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: FMF Turbine Core Leak at the bracket

Post by SS109 »

It won't hurt engine performance at all but rather just be an oily annoyance.

If silicone isn't stopping it from leaking then welding is the only option I know of. Have you tried looking on Craigslist for a welder? I found one who did a repair for me on my KDX clutch cover for under $20. The bracket on the stinger is steel so it should be even easier to repair for any competent TIG welder or even someone who is really experienced with a MIG. I had my buddy weld up a crack at the cap/pipe joint going in to my silencer and you can't even tell he did it and he used a MIG.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you for that SS and good idea checking CL for a welder. The two shops I went to gave me the impression they didn't want to mess with it. Too small of a job probably. For now I'll just deal with the little bit of mess and then if it gets as bad as my other silencer I'll have to find someone to weld it for me.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

It's a very common problem, my last two silencers have done the same thing. Welding is the proper fix. Honestly, $100 is a pretty good price, the silencer is stainless steel. It's full of oil inside which doesn't take well to welding, last time I did mine I had to burn all of that out of there first, which took about a half hour. If you want to have it welded,
'00 KDX 220R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

If you clean it really good & pay shipping both ways. I'll TIG weld it for free. I even have stainless steel filler rod.
Edit: All the JB weld needs to be removed.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you so much for that offer! I'll likely take you up on that and send a PM. I would pay for shipping back and forth. I would have to at least send some cash for a couple steaks and a case of beer (or something like that).
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

No cash needed. I just ask that you clean it really well. No oil, grease, paint, silicone & especially JB weld.
Solvent tank or brake cleaner, hot soap & water. As clean as you can get it.
PM me & we'll get it done.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

I had the same issue and FMF fixed it under warranty. The silencer was basically new and I only had about 12-15 hours of use with it. I thought they were going to send me a new silencer, but they just welded the crack. Since the shipping to FMF and back took quite a while, the next time it happens I'll just weld it myself. With all of these issues folks are having, you would think they would fix the problem, but why would they do that?!
Last edited by GATOROC on 10:53 am Mar 03 2023, edited 1 time in total.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The members on this forum rock! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Yes the forum members here rock. Thank you again Mollys. I'm heading out of town tonight for Supercross at Daytona. YES one of my favorite weekends of the year. It's bike week and there are motorcycles everywhere.....with me, my daughter and my wife seemingly the only characters in town riding bicycles. The hotel is close to the speedway so we pass all the cars waiting in line and lock our bikes up right next to the person who takes the tickets. Its VIP lol.

I have two of these that need to be fixed. Next week I'll pull the silencers apart and make sure they are really clean before sending them off to you. I'll PM you next week and we'll work out the details.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Sounds good.
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

John_S, when I want to clean the interior of expansion chambers and 2-stroke silencers, I soak them in Oil Eater. This is a water-based oil degreaser / solvent. It's actually a soapy surfactant. It's great because it works(!), is not rough on the hands, and doesn't leave combustible material inside parts that will be welded. I usually buy it in 5 gallon bucket, but it can be purchased in 1 gallon bottle (at Home Depot, even).

Hyperlink immediately below to help you learn more, plus photo of 1 gallon bottle below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oil-Eater-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds
20230305_183203-reduced-1.jpg
20230305_183203-reduced-1.jpg (203.58 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Molly's 70: U rock!
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you Billie, I love a good cleaning product. It's not sold locally around me but good ol Amazon will have it here tomorrow. It gets great reviews.
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

John_S, pleased you'll give it ago. I use rubber expansion plugs (photo below) on both ends of expansion chamber and silencer. This allows complete filling with Oil Eater without leaks, spills, and air pockets. Usually will lay filled plugged parts on outdoor table in sun for 2 to 3 days. During which, I'll shake them and turn them over 1 to 3 times per day. I bought the expansion plugs from a hardware store plumbing department.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230308_200050_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230308_200050_Chrome.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I welded the 2 silencer parts. I will say they were very clean. This product works very well. No smoke or smell.
I used 347 Stainless Steel filler material. I hope they work good for you.
John, send me an email with the shipping label & I get them back to you ASAP.
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Let us know how much shipping runs...I imagine its gonna be $40-50 each way.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Price on the USPS package label says $13.40. So I guess $26.80 round trip. Probably worth it for free Tig welding.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Most definitely worth it!
'11 GasGas EC250R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Molly's 70, that's awesome you welded the silencers for John! It's also beneficial that you shared that Oil Eater is effective. Now there's a data point additional to mine above.
billie