2005 KDX 220 ... offer accepted. ( hope this isn't a repeat )

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
NoBs

2005 KDX 220 ... offer accepted. ( hope this isn't a repeat )

Post by NoBs »

Thought a posted about an hour ago of a 2005 KDX 220 I'm to pick up Wednesday.. Excuse me of ot pops up somewhere.. anyway, made a gentlemen's agreement to pick up a 220 on Wednesday for $ 2200 that I offered. He had wanted $ 2750 but it was minus a kickstarter, broken left side plastic, and no rear light.. appearance average at best though not terrible either.. Gnarly pipe, 2 FMF silencers, spare air filters, gold handlebars of some type and Acerbis handguards.. Probably a few mote inconsequential items. Oops, also KX 125 forks as well...
So I need the aforementioned items, anyone near Northeast Pa that has/knows where to locate same let me know, in particular the kickstarter since the whole thing is gone.. splines seems Ok. Read the 32 replies about the KX250F kicker.. Any updates on that or additions to the possibilities for replacement ? That is the most pressing issue. Well, that and lowering links... Don't want to order anything until it's in the garage but suppliers, prices would be appreciated. Comments welcome..
I'll try to post pictures when it's here. BTW.... if winter comes back with a vengeance in Northeast Pa., blame me. It's to keep me from riding..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2005 KDX 220 ... offer accepted. ( hope this isn't a repeat )

Post by SS109 »

Plastics are outrageous to replace but you can find them. Rear light is a tough find but can bee done. I would contact Fredette as he is probably your best shot for both. On the kicker, KX250F kicker all the way. A little simple grinding, a 22mm outer x 16mm inner x 3mm thick spacer, and an OEM kickstarter nut is all you need to do to fit it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

What years am I looking for the kickstart ? So forget the Tusk and similar I found on Amazon ? Can I order the kickstart, nut and spacer all at one place ? Like in a kit of sorts.. I'm assuming the knuckle comes with the lever ?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I know the KX250F kickstarters are supposed to be the same from '06-'18 so any of those. The one I used was from an '07 I bought used off Ebay. No one offers a kit that I know of. The mods are easy, you can use one, two, or even three washers as the spacer(s), Oh, I forgot one thing, you'll also need a thin wall socket for the nut as a regular socket will get bound up. I took a normal 17mm socket and turned it down on my lathe but I know not everyone has that luxury.

As for the Chinese kickers found on Amazon, stay FAR away IMO. I don't think Tusk offers one for the KDX despite what advertisers say on Amazon. If anyone knows for sure it will be Rocky Mountain ATV since that is their brand. So, give them a call or send an email and ask. Now, as far as I know the Tusk kickers are short so if you like that then that would be the better option for you. The KX250F kicker is almost exactly the same length as the OEM KDX kicker. My personal take is the KX250F kicker is an OEM unit, with all the engineering that goes in to it, and I prefer the longer length.
'11 GasGas EC250R
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

Interesting.. I was seriously considering a Fredette ( probably spelled that wrong ) due to the shorter length and supposedly condensing the stroke given the same effort but spinning the shaft a bit faster for better starts. If that's true then any shorter kicker should be the same I would think... It's been decades since my last physics class so Ill pass on an opinion. I know my last Kawasaki 400 MX, circa 1973, had a kicker that bent badly, straighten it in a vise but would bend again given a decent effort. No idea what the metal was but it certainly wasn't up to snuff.. I briefly mentioned the KX 125 forks ( no idea what year, neither does the seller ) but what about the brakes ? Would the KDX brakes be in place or could they have been changed as well ? Thanks for the help..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Shorter kicker = less leverage = more physical effort to kick... physics in action. As for the 1970's kicker, metallurgy has gotten a lot better since then and the quality control has as well.

Brakes... the KX and KDX shared brakes calipers on some years so the KDX caliper might have bolted right on to the forks. However, you won't know for sure if they are the same unless you know what year of bike the forks came from. It's not a big deal either way but you'll want to know so you can buy replacement brake pads and other parts when needed.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2005 KDX 220 ... kicker length

Post by MoonStomper »

My personal experience with the long vs. short kicker on the KDX…

Swapping out that foot long OEM pool noodle for a short, quick action kicker (both the KX125 and the Fredette) was a Win /Win for me. The difference it made for me was a game changer for dead engine hare scramble race starts (I compete regularly for hole shots now and get one now and then). In the woods on off-camber stuff that short kicker is easier to reach when I’m downhill of the bike. There’s never been a time when I wished I had the OEM back on for any reason.

The 200 bike starts so easy that there’s no need for that ridiculously long and flexible OEM piece. Why you would want to have to lift your knee past your ear to start a bike I’ll never understand.

The Fredette piece is the cheapest and easiest solution, it’s cool looking kit and does the job. I’ve finally gone and done the KX125 lever mod because I snapped two of the Fredettes (at the knuckle) messing around with timing advance that caused hot engine kickback issues - not the kicker’s fault.

Both short versions have their advantages/disadvantages, but both are day and night better than OEM. I’ll never go back.

Fredette - easiest mod, works with oem knuckle, less cost, arguably coolest looking

KX125 - need the KX250 knuckle, more $ to do, but the covered knuckle design keeps grease in the pivot/dirt out and looks more modern

OEM - great for the 6’4” or taller rider, you can start the bike from the next room with your bare hand, is already on the bike and is paid for, makes a great back scratcher if you take it off.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The two reasons I like the longer KX250F kicker are this... my engine has quite a bit of compression, and I have my hot ignition installed, which the longer style KX250F kicker works great with and I'm getting older so it's less energy wasted kicking it. YMMV
'11 GasGas EC250R
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

As a " Senior " rider, I too am looking for the mostest for the leastest so to speak. Guy I ride with routinely stop... and occasionally things happen off camber. While nothing beats the magic button, I'm looking for the second place finisher... less effort and easier starting will trump price in this case. My knees are ok when in the saddle, not sure how there're going to hold up under repeated use... maybe I'll park on downhills when available and catch it in gear like we did years ago.. Had a brand new 1975 CZ M/C that had a whole lot of compression.. even after it was broken in.. talked back to me occasionally..
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

*** Unfortunately I need the knuckle and the kick lever. I was initially favoring the Fredette kicker but I have to buy both.. If what I saw was correct I'll have close to $ 200 for a kicker... That seems to be awfully high for a kickstarter but.... As a shorter rider I'm not looking forward to raising the knee any higher than I have to..
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I've had a stock, an 89 KX125 shorty lever with stock knuckle, and now have the 250F lever. I can see the shorty if you're stalled close to the side of a hill. When you swing either a shorty or a stock lever out they're at the same height. One is close to the bike and one is further away, but not really lower. I remember being surprised how high I had to lift my leg when I installed the shorty. Thought it was going to make a big difference but it didn't. My favorite part of the stock or 250F is that your foot passes by the foot peg rather than down onto it.
In your case not having a knuckle that means you'd be buying the knuckle, orings, washer, circlip, ball, spring, and set screw and then the Fredette lever. A new OEM whole assembly is $104 on rocky mountain. I'd get that and be done with it.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

NoBs, As John_S mentions you can get the 06-12 KX250F kick lever prt # 13064-0059 complete for just under $105US from RMATV. you would have to make/buy a spacer washer for this lever. From overseas(Japan) the KX125 lever prt # 13064-0001 $81US and the kx250 boss prt # 13061-1692 $36US for under $150US(shipped),for both you would just need to buy a nut prt #92015-1958 @ $5US..
Does the bike still have the stock OEM rear fender, are you missing just the lens? you might still be able to get the it prt #23026-1131 $22US many sites list it a NLA, if this is the case oddly enough the lens from a 96-04 Honda XR250-400 is exactly the same prt # 33702-KCZ-004 $15US .

James..
02 KDX220
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Hopefully you were able to locate a kick starter before going to purchase the bike... so you could at least see how it runs. I wish I had saw this sooner, I could have sent you an old stock one to use just for that purpose, I'm in SW PA, south of Pittsburgh. Not that far, but not that close either. Hope it all works out! KX250F kicker is the best of the options in my opinion, for the reasons already mentioned.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

Thanks for the responses.. First, yes, I did run the bike on a bump start. That's when I made him an offer. I did a little ( actually a lot ) of research on the kick starters/levers and found if one wants to do the KX125 lever and KX250 boss knuckle the following part numbers on a UTUBE video are applicable.. at least that's what was on the packaging.. KX 250 Boss, years 99 to 01 P/N 13061-1692. Along with that a seal ? P/N 92049-1387.. Guy did not list the KX125 lever part number but did have years as 92-98. Hope someone finds that helpful..
That said, when I made the offer I was figuring on around $ 150 for the boss/lever combo.. Seems it will be every bit of that or more unless I luck out into a deal.. As I mentioned, I was favoring the shorter Fredette lever but as JohnS posted the 250F lever will swing out far enough to clear the footpeg easily.. Plus literally half the price of the Fredette is obviously tempting as well. Since the PO put larger footpegs on I'm not sure whether they are longer as well as wider..
I'm a little confused as far as the knuckle is concerned. Did the KDX come with different splines depending on the year ? Or all they the same ? Why the KX250 boss instead of a stock one for example ?
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

As suggested, I called Rocky Mt and looked up the schematic. $ 103 plus tax of course. This is the OEM unit. However there are 3 parts that they list but do not have to ship.. a washer, I believe a circlip and the nut. No idea why.. Next question is actually a repeat of an earlier one.. will the original OEM boss accept a different kicklever if I choose to change it ?
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I know the Fredette kicker is made for the OEM boss.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Earlier when I mentioned the $104 complete lever / knuckle I was referring to the kdx OEM one. It’s the easiest of the options to just be up and running. I didn’t know a new 250F lever was also the same cost.
I ordered a new kdx one from rmatv and it comes complete with everything but the nut to hold it on.
A 1989 KX 125 lever and the Fredette lever both fit the stock knuckle if you decide you want the shorty later on.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

The oem kdx boss wont accept a kx or kxf one. The kdx boss secures the kicker with an external c clip and is pretty wide open to the elements. The KX ones are enclosed and sealed up a little better with a lip seal and the kicker arm is secured with an offset screw and a ball detent. Hard to explain, but once you have the parts in hand, its easy to see why it wont work.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

JimmyB wrote: 05:14 pm Feb 22 2023 NoBs, As John_S mentions you can get the 06-12 KX250F kick lever prt # 13064-0059 complete for just under $105US from RMATV. you would have to make/buy a spacer washer for this lever. From overseas(Japan) the KX125 lever prt # 13064-0001 $81US and the kx250 boss prt # 13061-1692 $36US for under $150US(shipped),for both you would just need to buy a nut prt #92015-1958 @ $5US..
Does the bike still have the stock OEM rear fender, are you missing just the lens? you might still be able to get the it prt #23026-1131 $22US many sites list it a NLA, if this is the case oddly enough the lens from a 96-04 Honda XR250-400 is exactly the same prt # 33702-KCZ-004 $15US .

James..
I'm assuming it's the stock fender but I'll check when I pick it up over the weekend.. Weather happened on Wednesday so Sunday will be the day since Saturday might be snow in the AM.. There is nothing on the rear fender at all, might be 2 holes but that's it.. I'm not a purist that it has to be original, just that it works, preferably with a brake light option..
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

John_S wrote: 09:15 pm Feb 22 2023 Earlier when I mentioned the $104 complete lever / knuckle I was referring to the kdx OEM one. It’s the easiest of the options to just be up and running. I didn’t know a new 250F lever was also the same cost.
I ordered a new kdx one from rmatv and it comes complete with everything but the nut to hold it on.
A 1989 KX 125 lever and the Fredette lever both fit the stock knuckle if you decide you want the shorty later on.
That's what I've been coming up with as well.. Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, the RM kit ( of sorts ) is now missing the washer ( spacer,) another part perhaps a circlip of some sort and the nut. Probably $ 110 to my door. Seems to be the best solution for now at least..