KDX220R info

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
NoBs

KDX220R info

Post by NoBs »

Been tossing this around a long time, finally found 2 KDX's, one I'm interested in is a 2005 220 Gold Platinum pipe FMF exhaust. What
I'm concerned about are the front inverted forks from a 125cc Kx.. I know nothing about them. Are they an upgrade , downgrade or just a level trade off.. Older rider, 5 foot 7 inches, 175 lbs, dirt trail only, hilly terrain. A wiggle area for price is that the kick starter rattled off and has to be replaced. I do not know if if it's a simple slide on new or whether the knuckle and other stuff needs replacement as well since I have not seen it. I had a 1974 400 MX with a kick starter issue. My splines were roached on the kick starter and slipped over the shaft occasionally.. I looked up prices, around $ 125 to almost $ 200 depending on what it needs... Any thoughts/comments on the forks/kick starter would be appreciated... Guy wants a tick under 3K.. it's been for sale for quite some time so he's either firm on what he's got or just wants more than what it's worth.... last thing, obviously he will have to bump start it to check engine/gears... thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX220R info

Post by SS109 »

Awesome you're considering a KDX. Great bikes!

On the forks, they are always considered an upgrade because they don't flex as much as the OEM korks and they should allow compression and rebound adjustment where the stockers don't. Any Showa or KYB forks from '96 and are great upgrades.

On the kicker, if the splines are good then you just need the kick lever assembly and the nut. There is a very recent post on here about using the much better KX250F kick start lever, a few little mods on it, a spacer, and the OEM nut. Really pretty simple upgrade. If the splines are shot you'll have to source a used part as I think it's discontinued now from Kawasaki.

As for his price, money talks and BS walks! Show up with $2500 cash in hand and you'll probably go home with it. I personally think his price is high but I would have to see the bike and any receipts for work/parts he's done to get close to his asking price.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Sounds like a decent deal, if the kicker splines are still good, bolting on a new lever assembly is a non issue. It'll allow you to choose a combo that you like, whether its the 250F lever, stock KDX, or KX125 setup. The forks are an upgrade over stock for sure. Someone's already done the work of swapping them for you.
'00 KDX 220R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Would definitely get as much info about the year/make/model the forks came off and how the swap was done.
For the kick starter, inspect the kick start shaft where it comes out of the case to see if the splines are good. If they are then as Nick said, get a KX250F kicker and do the mod. If the splines are shot the shaft is still available (for about 50$). Price is bit high IMO, but if he finds someone who'll pay that good for him. As SS said, if you really want it, show up with cash and make an offer.
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

Not sure I understand the info about the KX forks. Are there years to stay away from ? How it was done is also confusing.. I was always more a rider than a fixer so I'm not sure what to ask in that regard ? I also looked up kick starters from Fredette Racing. If it's a current price, it's $ 119 which is as inexpensive as any I've checked. Smaller, lighter weight and easier kicking, supposedly at least. Personal preference on the KX 250 kicker or is there another reason ? I do know my old KX kicker ( 1970's ) the steel wasn't up to snuff.. I am trying to check it before Christmas but that may not happen.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You want to know the year/model so when it is time to replace fork seals you know which ones to get. As for how it was done, if they used the KX triples how did they handle the spacer required to mate the KX upper triple to the KDX stem. The kicker that Fredette sells is a modified KX125/250 unit IIRC, the KX250F one is cheaper if sourced on Ebay, but does require a little modification.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I have bought parts from Fredette Racing. Good service. He worked on my cylinder & had it replated at Millenium.
I like the KX design kick starter mod myself.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

NoBs wrote: 06:30 pm Dec 19 2022 Not sure I understand the info about the KX forks. Are there years to stay away from ? How it was done is also confusing.. I was always more a rider than a fixer so I'm not sure what to ask in that regard ? I also looked up kick starters from Fredette Racing. If it's a current price, it's $ 119 which is as inexpensive as any I've checked. Smaller, lighter weight and easier kicking, supposedly at least. Personal preference on the KX 250 kicker or is there another reason ? I do know my old KX kicker ( 1970's ) the steel wasn't up to snuff.. I am trying to check it before Christmas but that may not happen.
IMO, from '96 and up most forks are pretty damn good. Even older USD forks, provided they have compression and rebound adjusters, are better than the stock KDX forks above 15-20mph. The newer forks the better in the fact that they are easier to find parts for and you'll have an easier time finding a tuner familiar with them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Fredette's KDX kick start lever. As to the KX250F kicker (it's different from the two stroke KX250 kicker), it is lighter weight than OEM and is way beefier than the Fredette kicker. I haven't installed one on my KDX yet but it will be getting the KX250F kicker for sure.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

The KX forks are a so so as an added selling point to me. Just a trail/woods bike with no intention at all on racing whether on the track or on the trail. That ship has long since set sail.. It will be put thru the gears for sure but that's it. Probably be just as happy with the stockers. No idea where to check out the KX kicker.. certainly not now anyway.. Other than the soft steel, the KX400 kicker, circa mid 70's, worked ok as I remember. Don't recall any back of the leg welts like from the mid 70's CZ400. Thanks for the info...
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Do not underestimate the value of properly set up KX forks even for “casual” trail riding, whatever that is!
My personal preference is the KX 125 kicker or Fredette’s. Anything except the stock KDX kicker.